Old 10-07-2016, 02:08 AM   #101
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I do it like you described. Mine doesn't 'drift sideways' as much as it walks bow then stern like a falling leaf toward the dock. The net result is a drift toward the dock. Very tough to do into a moderate wind with my boat.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 04:06 PM   #102

City: Southern Baltic
Vessel Name: Sømarken
Vessel Model: AMS 40'
Regardless what we try, our boat doesn't move laterally (= moving purely sideways without moving for / aft while keeping the boat parallel to the dock) by using the twin engines only (props outward turning in forward gear).
Either we have to use the thruster or we approach the dock under a certain angle and pivot in the spot (by engines only or supported by a spring line).
What we can do is to move diagonal forward keeping the boat parallel to the dock. E.g. if we want to leave a port side dock having enough space in front of us we put the port engine in forward (starboard out of gear) and rudder hard to port - and the boat moves forward and parallel from the dock.

Old 11-27-2016, 06:11 PM   #103
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
Turn wheel in opposite direction that you want to walk. F'rinstance, If you are docking and the dock is to your port side, turn your wheel to starboard, then cross your shifters in the opposite direction, like if you were turning toward the dock. The boat will make some noise and vibrate some. If boat dont move much, just turn your wheel toward the dock very little and very slowly. Once the boat starts to move very slowly return the wheel to the stbd direction.

Keep in mind that this usually only works with relatively flat bottom boats like in semi-displacement hulls. It generally wont work with any kind of a keel.

Also note that sometimes you may have to work the throttle also. This works best if your shifter an throttle control were all in the same lever.
Old 11-27-2016, 06:16 PM   #104
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Lots of boats won't move perfectly sideways with just using engines and rudders...and any wind or current will affect even those that will in still air and current.

Try all the techniques...but don't get frustrated if your boat doesn't do it.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 07:21 AM   #105
Veteran Member

City: Lake Pontchartrain
I really enjoyed reading this thread! I'm in the process of moving from sail to power and pick up my boat Monday. I've spend 30 years on sailboats and have to learn how to handle twin screws, so this thread was very interesting for me.

Thanks to everyone for the tips.

I found an online simulator and tried the various tactics mentioned in this thread. The simulator, of course, isn't real life accurate, but sliding to starboard did work with rudder hard over to port, port engine forward, std reverse. She slid to port, but only for a second.

Regardless, the simulator is fun to play around with...

The Boat Docker
KalaKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 07:48 AM   #106
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
Well you could just switch into docking mode then tilt the joystick to the side you want to move to. It worked perfectly for me the last time I drove a Hinckley jetboat
TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 08:56 AM   #107

City: Owings, Md
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDunn View Post
It worked perfectly for me the last time I drove a Hinckley jetboat
Me too, until I woke up.
Gdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 11:39 AM   #108
Veteran Member

City: Cape Coral, Fl
Vessel Name: Panacea
Vessel Model: Novatec 42 Sundeck Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown One View Post
Several years ago I watched a good friend move his 48' trawler perfectly sideways along a dock a bunch of us were side tied and backed into. He explained the maneuver at the time but, years later, I tried it with no wind or current, and failed. The way my head thinks: when backed against a dock to move perfectly sideways to port, for example, helm hard to starboard, starboard engine in reverse (to get "portward" thrust off that rudder, I'm thinking), port engine in forward (to offset any starboard rearward movement?) Maybe you have to bump the port engine in and out of gear to control the sideways movement? Anybody out there a proven expert at this? My boat shown in photo, 3208s (not that it should matter.)
Ted
Have done this many times.
My old boat had no keel and it was a snap
Current boat has large keel still works but not as well.
As to you gear positions you hav it backwards, with your helm hard to starboard stb gear in reverse port in forward you will turn in a circle to stbd.

Should be to walk to port=
Helm hard stbd
Stbd gear forward
Port gear reverse

I use this routinely to get off a dock
Cheers
Panacea123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 05:14 PM   #109

City: Southern Baltic
Vessel Name: Sømarken
Vessel Model: AMS 40'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
Turn wheel in opposite direction that you want to walk. F'rinstance, If you are docking and the dock is to your port side, turn your wheel to starboard, then cross your shifters in the opposite direction, like if you were turning toward the dock. The boat will make some noise and vibrate some. If boat dont move much, just turn your wheel toward the dock very little and very slowly. Once the boat starts to move very slowly return the wheel to the stbd direction.

Keep in mind that this usually only works with relatively flat bottom boats like in semi-displacement hulls. It generally wont work with any kind of a keel.

Also note that sometimes you may have to work the throttle also. This works best if your shifter an throttle control were all in the same lever.

THX, We will try so next spring when back to the wet elements ...