Handheld VHF

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gbinterim

Vessel Name
Interim
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 36
Our 20 plus year old handheld VHF died any recommendations for a replacement? Thanks for your opinions.

I've been happy with the Standard Horizon HX210 I picked up last year. Not terribly expensive, it floats, it's waterproof, battery life is good, etc. No DSC though.

I recommend a VHF with GPS and DSC and floats.
ALWAYS buy a spare battery too.

I just acquired the new Standard Horizon XH890 with all the whistles and bells, in fact still in UPS hands as I type this up. You might find a deal on the the HX870 model, which is the prior model to the 890.

I bought my handheld about 25 years ago. I thought it would be perfect to hand to the kids while they went exploring and we could call them home for dinner. It got used a few times.

Still sitting on the boat, I assume the batteries are dead though. I guess I really don't see the need for one.

pete

Another vote for the Standard Horizon HX870. My favorite handheld. Hard to beat it and a very reasonable price point.

They are all pretty good. As long as they float...

I can vouch for the Standard Horizon HX890 as well. Bought one at the beginning of summer and has worked well. The menu system is fairly easy to navigate, but for me hands down is the ease of changing volume and channels. No need for three button pushes just to change volume as some VHF's are set up. Feels good and solid in the hand too.

Ron, I have both an Icom and a Standard Horizon. Both do the job. The Icom is nicer but more expensive and has a proprietary rechargeable battery tha lasts maybe 5 years. The SH has rechargeable AA batteries that don't last as long but are cheaper. Both are good.:thumb:

Although I just ordered the SH XH890, I also have a base model Icom that I really, really like. No whistles and bells, but it does float. I bought the SH for the GPS and DSC for use on my dinghy when I leave my boat and go long range exploring with my dinghy. I bought it in case I get caught in the dark, or fog, or am disoriented and have a reference to get me back to my boat. My base Icom will go in a kit for the dinghy as back up in case I forget the SH on the boat.

I've left that Icom in my glove compartment through all kinds of wretched freezing weather and when I turn it on, almost full charge. I love the Icom IC M25. I almost bought the IC M93D but reviews kept placing the SH comparable model slightly higher. A better submerge stat and longer battery life and slightly better screen along with better menu selection with options not as buried in layered menus. My heart was on the IC M93D as I like the other IC so much but I went with SH due to the reviews.

I will recommend what I recently purchased, Icom M93D, it was a toss up between that and Standard Horizon HX890, and I chose the Icom. A few reviews said the menu system was confusing, but after a day of playing with it in my living room , I thought it was pretty intuitive, I have not had any real water experience with it yet, it was purchased as a backup and for my dingy, but if it is anything like every other Icom model, I am sure I will not be disappointed. It has all the latest bells and whistles and Icom has a rock solid reputation.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom