Halyard Hitch vs Double Braid Eye Splice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jdecris

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Grand Marnier
Vessel Make
'91 Grand Banks 46 Classic
Anyone had any experience with using a halyard hitch?

I've put together a dinghy lift system to launch an inflatable off the aft cabin deck from the cradle into the water. And I'm re-rigging the boom lift from the end of the boom to the top of the mast, as well as the block and tackle from the inflatable dinghy to the traveler track and car on the underside of the boom.

Each of the block systems - double blocks at the boom lift, and triple blocks at the dinghy lift - are Harken 57mm Carbo blocks w/beckets - with 3/8" Samson XLS3 double polyester braid all around.

And the lines obviously have to connect at the beckets.

I've watched a lot of videos online on splicing, and could probably do it; or I could have an eye put on each of the ends at a local marine store for $30 each.

But I also like the idea/look of the halyard hitch. And it looks like the hitch will fit inside the running lines at the blocks.

So why not?

Halyard Hitch Video Link

How to Tie a Halyard Hitch

Anyone had any experience with using a halyard hitch?

I've put together a dinghy lift system to launch an inflatable off the aft cabin deck from the cradle into the water. And I'm re-rigging the boom lift from the end of the boom to the top of the mast, as well as the block and tackle from the inflatable dinghy to the traveler track and car on the underside of the boom.

Each of the block systems - double blocks at the boom lift, and triple blocks at the dinghy lift - are Harken 57mm Carbo blocks w/beckets - with 3/8" Samson XLS3 double polyester braid all around.

And the lines obviously have to connect at the beckets.

I've watched a lot of videos online on splicing, and could probably do it; or I could have an eye put on each of the ends at a local marine store for $30 each.

But I also like the idea/look of the halyard hitch. And it looks like the hitch will fit inside the running lines at the blocks.

So why not?

The only thing I can think of is that the knot is much larger than a splice would be and could interfere with the out-and-back lines running through the associated blocks.

Not sure what the exact makeup of your double blocks look like, but you might want to check line clearance as it travels through the sheave past the hitch.

Otherwise - go for it!

A halyard hitch works really well to attach to the becket. It also keeps a low profile. I used to use it to attach my genny sheets to the sail rather than the traditional bowline as the halyard hitch wouldn’t catch on the shrouds during a tack.

The hitch is strong and works well. However, after it has been loaded, you will need to cut it off as unlike a bowline, it really can’t be untied.

I like to splice but for this application, I’d just use the halyard hitch. New line is pretty easy to splice, but old line is really tough. So if you are using existing line, definitely use the hitch.

Back
Top Bottom