halon system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Unless you have some sophisticated auto system.... the standard extinguishers are easy to self inspect.

The inspectors that were required for our towing fleet (not for recreational vessels) will tell you like the literature on the web about non-refillable extinguishers that only need a quick look for condition and pressure, a quick shake or hammer tap, and initials on the tag.

Some extinguishers may have an expiration date on them, if not, and I have only heard it 3rd hand that either 7 years or so disposable ones are no longer acceptable...but I can't confirm that right now. Some say look at the warranty info or owners manuals. Maybe call the manufacturer about your models.

Last edited:
You could go to your marine parts store and ask them for a recommendation.

Yep...most marine parts stores have people that never BS you...and have NFPA, OSHA, and ABYC publishings on the tips of their tongues.

Even if they sounded sure....I would still verify....long before I trusted.

Has anyone ever experienced, or know of a boat that loss power to their main engine(s) due to a fault (not a fire situation) occurring from an interlocked fire protection system? The reliability aspects of these systems in industrial applications are very high, but wondering how the newer marine systems are doing in general?

Has anyone ever experienced, or know of a boat that loss power to their main engine(s) due to a fault (not a fire situation) occurring from an interlocked fire protection system? The reliability aspects of these systems in industrial applications are very high, but wondering how the newer marine systems are doing in general?

I'm not aware of any shutdowns due to faulty systems, I'm sure there have been some, no system is perfect. As for marine systems being newer they've been in use on commercial and work boats for decades and are well proven. It is typical to have a warning siren before release of the agent to give anyone in the engine room time to evacuate or don breathing apparatus. I'd think you could have an override built in to not shut down the engines if you were in a situation where loosing propulsion is more dangerous than fire.

They use the same components as industrial systems. A professional inspection covers the system, not just weighing and evaluating the bottles. I understand the paranoia about running an inlet if you are unsure about the integrity of your fire suppression system (lack of maintenance and inspection) , but gee whiz, are you wearing a PFD, PLB, handheld VHF and a helmet too.... they help protect you against much more likely events.

I am not a big fan of any system that shuts down the main engines. I would rather have specific alarms then decide myself whether its appropriate to shut it down. Thats just me though I understand not everybody wants that responsibility or risk.
Bud

I am not a big fan of any system that shuts down the main engines. I would rather have specific alarms then decide myself whether its appropriate to shut it down. Thats just me though I understand not everybody wants that responsibility or risk.
Bud

I am pretty sure the Fire Boy type system is a requirement but, with a flick of the switch, you can disable it.

Bud

Agree...after 2 careers of operating helicopters and commercial vessels put in harms way many a time.... there are auto systems that should protect immediately and those that give the operator the choice.

The old motto of my brothers in harms way was..."ya gotta be smarter than the equipment you operate". It served many of us well.

Most of the systems were designed for gasoline boats, a while back. .

They will close vent ports , shut off the bilge blowers , close tank fuel valves , and shut off the engine and fire the contents.

It is a system , not just an item.

I have a clean agent FireBoy cylinder operated by a fusible link sitting in my garage. It’s from a previous boat. I need to do the calc, but I would guess it will protect about 60 percent of my currents boat engine room space so I would need a second bottle. I realize the engine would ingest a large portion of the gas if it operated, thus greatly reducing the chances for suppression, but I have had mixed fillings about installing the interlock to shut down the engine. If it were a gasoline engine, yes. But diesel has a flash point higher than the ambient temp of my engine room space (not a guarantee against a fuel fire, just a fact regarding the much lower frequency of occurrence). I check the space often, and don’t take any chances when it comes to fuel, leaks, electrical systems, etc. I respect others people’s decisions to interlock these for engine shutdown, but I am not there yet.

Last edited:
Amerex hand held ABC extinguishers are pretty standard, high quality. 10 year maximum life. my 10 year old ones were still holding charge but I had to replace them for the insurance company.

I have the Fireboy too. easily inspected and tagged by local guy. not only does it shut down engines and prevent them from eating all the cooling gas, it also emits a loud alarm. then you can override it and start up as needed.

I also have a Fire Blanket in the galley plus 6 Amerex type I.

I'll never use any of them, waste of money - I hope.

Most fire safety codes were written after a loss of life or heavy damage. When I was a child the house next door burned with loss of life, I'll never forget it. I am a fire safety nut.

Last edited:
Diesel may be less flammable than gas, but can still ignite, there are plenty of potential flash points (overheated battery, etc) in most engine rooms.

Fire boy has good information on engine room suppression systems. Probably also should have auto shutdown for engines and generators.

Plenty of halon substitutes - FM-200, Halotron, etc. The problem is that the volumetric efficiency of the alternate products will certainly mean your existing halon canister would be too small. If the original material is still present at the proper weight/volume, might as well keep the system as existing.

I have a halon wall mounted extinguisher if anyone wants it. It shows green on the gauge but I just don’t like halon and can’t dispose of it in Canada.

I have a halon wall mounted extinguisher if anyone wants it. It shows green on the gauge but I just don’t like halon and can’t dispose of it in Canada.

Take it to a good size boat yard. They may find a use for it.

Diesel is great for starting fires, it does not whump up in flames like gasoline.
My parents cleared some land they bought, had an old trailer on it up on a mountain. We poured out 5 gallons of diesel in one room and that thing burned down fast, even consumed the aluminum outer skin. Then rented a gas powered metal chop saw, cut it into pieces and hauled to the dump. The only thing that remained after the fire was steel framing.
You get any oil hot enough and it burns fiercely.

Last edited:
On some of the halon systems that couldn't be recharged, but were fine to leave in place, the only inspection was to weigh the tank for proper liquid content. Problem is finding extinguisher inspectors that know the regulations. Without the tag from the inspection, it doesn't meet USCG regulations. I've gone to weighing my bottle each year and attaching a new tag. When the final date passes, it looks like a $2,300 upgrade of a perfectly good system. :banghead:

Ted

A quick search for halon extinguisher information, turned up this company. Lots of interesting information. I have 1301 Halon and according to the information, the extinguisher is compliant as long as it passes an annual weight check. No requirement for servicing based on age. :dance:

Halon Frequently Asked Questions

Ted

Ted,
Does your Halon system shut down your engines?
Bud

Ted,
Does your Halon system shut down your engines?
Bud

Not yet. My system has an indicator light at the helm that shows a green light when the engine ignition is turned on. The extinguisher has a pressure switch with a normally closed contacts when the tank has pressure. On triggering the extinguisher, the switch opens breaking the circuit. I'm assuming that I will be able to use that switch to trigger the engine, generator, blower shutdown interface. A little more research is needed.

Ted

Not yet. My system has an indicator light at the helm that shows a green light when the engine ignition is turned on. The extinguisher has a pressure switch with a normally closed contacts when the tank has pressure. On triggering the extinguisher, the switch opens breaking the circuit. I'm assuming that I will be able to use that switch to trigger the engine, generator, blower shutdown interface. A little more research is needed.

Ted

When properly wired, if there is a fire, the halon is released and the ME is shut down. Ideally, the generator is also wired into the controller to shut it down too.
The switch at the helm station, when properly wired, will prevent the FireBoy from releasing.

When properly wired, if there is a fire, the halon is released and the ME is shut down. Ideally, the generator is also wired into the controller to shut it down too.
The switch at the helm station, when properly wired, will prevent the FireBoy from releasing.
I agree with your first 2 sentences as that's what I said in my post. Your last sentence is incorrect as all of the FireBoy units have non electrical heat discharge triggers. I believe they trigger at 175 degrees, and there is no helm control to prevent it.

Ted

Back
Top Bottom