Hall of failure!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bruce B

Guru
This is fascinating reading to anyone who owns or works on a boat!
I've spent much of my life working on mechanical and electrical things and thought I'd seen a lot but...
I've met the owner of this web site and he is a bright and capable guy.
There are pages of this stuff to look at. It makes me wonder how there are not more disasters out there.
Bruce

The Hall of FAIL Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com

Bruce, you're in the right place. CMS is a regular and very welcomed member here. His knowledge base is legendary. I can't count the number of times I've referred to his site for pearls of wisdom.

Thanks, I haven't seen him post here but I'm sure I'll recognize him when he does! We've run into him cruising in Maine, nice guy.
Bruce

Bruce, you're in the right place. CMS is a regular and very welcomed member here. His knowledge base is legendary. I can't count the number of times I've referred to his site for pearls of wisdom.

Hold on! My head just exploded. You mean CMS is Maine Sail? I have appreciated CMS's posts, but had no idea.:rofl:

I bought butyl tape from him some years ago and watched his video on it. Since then I've enjoyed a relatively dry vessel and am still using the butyl tape for new projects with great results. A wealth of advice on the site.

Been using Butyl Tape from him with good results. Formerly I used only 3M 5200 or 4200 for sealing deck fittings. I still use the sealants for some applications.

There is a lot of BS on the web, including some from well known "consultants".
Rod is the real deal.

Agreed. His website, his posts, and his personal replies to my many and ignorant questions have been a huge help to me over the years with my sailboat. My last major project was redoing my battery system on my sailboat last fall. It was based large on what I gleaned from him and he was quick to offer advice on the sailing forum to assist.

Yup, I have a couple rolls of butyl tape that I got from him not long ago to replace what I had used up.

I bought butyl tape from him some years ago and watched his video on it. Since then I've enjoyed a relatively dry vessel and am still using the butyl tape for new projects with great results. A wealth of advice on the site.

Ok, Ok.... I admit it - never used butyl tape. Planning to do some maintenance on boat. What width, 1" or 2", butyl do you recommend?? I'm a gonna purchase some. TY - Art

Notice how almost every failure is caused by human error. If something had been done correctly the first time none of those things would have happened.

Art,

Get the stuff from compass marine. It really is a superior product. I haven't found an equivalent. Not that I need it. I ordered 5 rolls of the stuff.

Art,

Get the stuff from compass marine. It really is a superior product. I haven't found an equivalent. Not that I need it. I ordered 5 rolls of the stuff.

Is that 1" or 2" wide... your width recommendation??

Art, with all due respect sir if you read the tutorial you will see width is totally irrelevant. Honestly have never seen 2" wide in my lifetime of using butyl. Buy 2-4 rolls of the 1" wide and you're set for life.

Hold on! My head just exploded. You mean CMS is Maine Sail? I have appreciated CMS's posts, but had no idea.:rofl:

There is a lot of BS on the web, including some from well known "consultants".
Rod is the real deal.

Ah. The ball just dropped for me, too. Yep, my impression is Rod/CMS/Maine Sail -- now that I know -- is a very class act.

That would also 'splain the major depth of testing and analysis in the Firefly thread!

-Chris

Art,

Years ago I bought 2 rolls for about $40 and had more than I needed so I was able to share some with fellow TFers. This is from the site:

Price: The price per roll is $17.95 (Rolls = 1/2" X 1/16" X 50')

I've seen other butyl tape at RV centers but it's not the quality of this tape. It's very easy to work with.

With all the praise and acolades you'd think one of you guys would have thought about posting an address :)

I should have made file whit all pictures for all I saw in 20 years on boat, some are really terrified ...

I love all pictures for all those web site ..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom