Old 03-10-2014, 09:45 PM   #21
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
That's a good one. It's got some personal style to it, but it still totally legible.
Yep, funny part is we really didn't know what the guy was going do ( we gave the boat yard a template, said we want it like this and they had their guy do it) so we were darn happy at the results.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-897551777.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	28146  

Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:12 PM   #22
QB

City: San Diego and Gabriola
Vessel Name: Skookum Maru
Vessel Model: Ed Monk design #1924
One thing I don't like about the USCG hailing port regulations is that not just the city name, but also the state name (optionally abbreviated), is supposed to be shown. This serves no purpose in many cases (how many Seattle's are there, anyway?), and is plain ugly. Just port name: classy. Port name and state abbreviation: tacky.

Classy:

Tacky:

I rest my case.

QB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:46 PM   #23

City: Palm Springs CA
Vessel Name: On The Rocks
Vessel Model: Gulf Star MKII
OK, so what are the advantages to the recreational boater of USCG documentation vs. State registration?
On The Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:01 PM   #24
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
My documentation is free, state registration costs money, but not sure how much.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:29 PM   #25
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Quote:
Originally Posted by On The Rocks View Post
OK, so what are the advantages to the recreational boater of USCG documentation vs. State registration?
I have no idea if it's true a friend told me years ago on a CG documented boat the owner paid no property tax. For this the Govt. in case of national emergency could commandeer your vessel. At some point this changed and some states started to collect tax on all boats.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:30 PM   #26
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
It used to be in Louisiana a documented boat didn't need state registration. About 5 years ago the state started requiring registration of documented boats also. I keep up the documentation although I haven't had any particular advantage from it.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:59 PM   #27
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by River Cruiser View Post
I have no idea if it's true a friend told me years ago on a CG documented boat the owner paid no property tax. For this the Govt. in case of national emergency could commandeer your vessel. At some point this changed and some states started to collect tax on all boats.
I pay the same property tax in CA on my documented vessel as state registered vessels pay. I've not heard of a federal property tax....yet.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:27 PM   #28
QB

City: San Diego and Gabriola
Vessel Name: Skookum Maru
Vessel Model: Ed Monk design #1924
Quote:
USCG Documentation FAQ

If you don't have a commercial vessel or one of historical interest, don't cruise internationally, and don't mind ugly state registration numbers on your bow, there is probably not any real advantage.
QB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:12 PM   #29

City: Port Huron, MI
Vessel Name: Meander
Vessel Model: 1983 Grand Banks 36 Classic
I don't see any great advantage to being documented. Some try to use it as a tax dodge, but technically it isn't. Some get away without paying state sales tax if they have it documented in a no tax state like Delaware. Sales tax states can demand the tax if you keep it in state beyond the state's time limit, which varries by state. In most states you must register the boat even if it is documented and get a registration number and a sticker. You must display the sticker that shows you have paid the sales tax (state law) but if you are documented you are required to NOT display the registration number (federal law).

I found there is one advantage to BUYING a documented boat. You can get the documentation history which lists all the previous owners, boat names, as well as lien holders and the satisfactions of mortgage. So, you can have more assurance of a clean title.
captrigney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:27 PM   #30

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Poach
Vessel Model: Sabreline Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
Shhh, don't let these guys find out ...

Port of Walla Walla

No kidding. They might cut off our Walla 2X wines!
Poach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:33 PM   #31

Quote:
Lenders like it because it makes their Preferred Marine Mortgage easier to enforce under federal law than a chattle mortgage from state to state. It makes it somewhat easier when going to foreign countries.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:37 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Interesting bit on the Dink.....
Good catch. A lot of people don't know that the regs require that the name be visible from astern of the boat, which when you carry a dink on tip davits concealing the transom, you have to put it on the bottom of the dink in compliance with the size and content of the regs. I have always understood that you also have to put it on the transom of the boat (since when the dink is down, the boat still has to have visible name and hailing port).
Old 03-12-2014, 04:40 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by captrigney View Post
I found there is one advantage to BUYING a documented boat... So, you can have more assurance of a clean title.
Which also makes it better for the SELLER because they can produce a clear title.

Dave
Old 03-12-2014, 07:01 PM   #34
Guru

City: Juno Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Takes Two
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Ancora, I agree .. hailing ports should have nothing to do w where the owner lives. It's all about where the boat lives. Walla Walla WA (in the middle of Washington state) is not a port. Mark, Looks like the USCG boat is about ready to go down stern first.
There are taxing implications based upon hailing port choice, it's up to the owner of the vessel which hailing port they choose to use and under current Federal statute it's allowed.
gwkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:13 PM   #35
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwkiwi View Post
There are taxing implications based upon hailing port choice, it's up to the owner of the vessel which hailing port they choose to use and under current Federal statute it's allowed.
Taxes are based on the boat's location, not the lettering on the hull.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:16 PM   #36
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. QB. "how many Seattle's are there, anyway?" Just the one as far as I know but this is not the case with other cities. List of the most common U.S. place names - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I'm just glad I don't have to put "Big Thicket Creekmore Village, TX" or "Pops Hammock Seminole Village, FL" on my transom. Heck, that's probably 8 gallons worth of fuel there. Apologies to Pops and Big Thicketers.....
Old 03-12-2014, 07:55 PM   #37
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
I'm glad to hear there is at least some enforcement of this. Illegible boat names and ports is a pet peeve of mine. Half the time it's the owners selection of a fancy font that makes it illegible.
Amen.
Or worse, no name whatsoever.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:05 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poach View Post
Good catch. A lot of people don't know that the regs require that the name be visible from astern of the boat, which when you carry a dink on tip davits concealing the transom, you have to put it on the bottom of the dink in compliance with the size and content of the regs. I have always understood that you also have to put it on the transom of the boat (since when the dink is down, the boat still has to have visible name and hailing port).
I'm not sure this it correct. According to the US Power Squadron: "When dinghys are stored on the swim platform or transom causing the Vessel’s name and hailing port to be obscured from view, there is no Federal requirement to place the name and hailing port elsewhere. That is a Law Enforcement issue only. However, the requirement to be CLEARLY VISIBLE may necessitate duplicating the name and hailing port on either side of the hull. Stenciling
on the bottom of the dinghy is not considered a permanent marking."

The regulations for the placement of the name do not require it to be visible from astern, only that it be "on some clearly visible exterior part of the hull"

That being said, we have our name (In addition to the transom) on the bottom or our inflatable so that it is visible from astern. Mainly for other boaters to be able to communicate with us by name.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:12 PM   #39
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
C'rigney has a point. Now, it's a question whether the USCG chooses to pick on you. This Vallejo-based USCG boat passed us by yesterday (as they always have), but then spent time adjacent to an open (no superstructure) boat fishing:

Old 03-12-2014, 08:26 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
C'rigney has a point. Now, it's a question whether the USCG chooses to pick on you. This Vallejo-based USCG boat passed us by yesterday (as they always have), but then spent time adjacent to an open (no superstructure) boat fishing:
And I'm sure the USCG has bigger fish to fry than being the "Name Police".