guns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

regb

Vessel Name
M.E. Lou II
Vessel Make
2007 silverton 39 my
was wondering if anyone has taken a gun with them on the loop if so is there a way to have it shipped to another location in the US before entering Canada?
Thanks Reg

Guns have to shipped from one ffl to another ffl. A fee will be involved. I assume you are referring to a "handgun".

gun

Yes it is a hand gun ok Im a little slow so tell me what is ffl and how much is the fee if you know
Thanks

FFL is Federal Firearms License. You may be able to arrange with a ffl gun dealer before leaving home so that everything will be in place when needed. The fee is negotiable and varies with gun dealer, but the fee will likely be between $25 and $100. Best to shop around on the fee. The fee will be for the paperwork involved by the dealer. There may be additional charges for handling.

I don't know Canadian law, so forgive my ignorance in advance. Is it possible to take a shotgun into Canada? If so, leave the handgun at home. Marin?

Last edited:
You will actually need two ffl dealers. One that you will transfer the gun to, and one that will transfer the gun back to you (in person) after receiving it from the first dealer.

Used to be you could ship firearms to yourself. Maybe you still can.

Not an uncommon way to get your firearm(s) to an outfitter when going there on a hunt, for example. An alternative to checking firearms through the airline process (which usually isn't all that difficult, anyway) so the guns could get there in advance, for whatever reason.

Not sure any of that would/could (or still) apply in this kind of situation.

BATFE -- phone call or website -- is generally very helpful for firearms questions.

(Although sometimes you have to clarifiy your're asking about things like "hunting rifle" or "shotgun" or "revolver" or "semi-automatic pistol" instead of "firearm." I've had them at first interpret "firearm" to mean one of those controlled by the 1934 Firearms Act (short rifles or shotguns, fully-automatic "machine" guns, etc.) and that's not at all what I was asking about.)

-Chris

I cruised the "loop portion" of Canada summer of 2012 and 2013. I chose to NOT bring a handgun since their law says no.
However after clearing customs 2 times, I might bring one next time I go (if there is a next time).
They ask the questions and you answer. Then you get cleared. Period.

I cruised the "loop portion" of Canada summer of 2012 and 2013. I chose to NOT bring a handgun since their law says no.
However after clearing customs 2 times, I might bring one next time I go (if there is a next time).
They ask the questions and you answer. Then you get cleared. Period.

My ex did that number with several cases of wine and a few nice bottles of scotch on my "land yacht" and was pulled off aside, searched, harassed a bit, all liquor except 2 bottles confiscated (the legal amount) and put on the "watch list" for future crossings. After that we bought all our wine in country:eek:. If I would have had my usual handgun on board and it was discovered it would not have been pretty. JME, YMMV!

I don't know Canadian law, so forgive my ignorance in advance. Is it possible to take a shotgun into Canada? If so, leave the handgun at home. Marin?

Yes, it's OK to bring a shotgun into Canada. Not sure what the procedure is but it's done by hunters all the time. If you try to bring in a handgun you could loose your boat or go to jail, not likely but possible in the extreme.

Google the penalties for getting caught bringing an undeclared gun into Canada. It's really not worth it. They will probably confiscate your boat while they are at it. Shotguns are not restricted any more so you could probably bring one of those in, but I have to ask you, why bother?

Sorry DC D, we posted the same time.

I have plenty of shotguns that's a good thought and had just as soon carry one of those as a handgun

I have plenty of shotguns that's a good thought and had just as soon carry one of those as a handgun

Bringing a shotgun into Canada is not a problem as I explained earlier but before you do I would advise you to read up on the current regulations. Hunters can bring them in saying they are going hunting, but if you try to bring one in claiming you need it for protection it might be cause for refusal of entry into Canada. Just saying.

Yes, you can take a legal shotgun or rifle (overall length and barrel length must meet Canadian regulations) into Canada. You must fill out a firearms form and check in with Canadian customs when you cross the border. The old days of simply crossing the border with a legal firearm are gone.

This is the 12 gauge shotgun we carry in the plane and on longer trips in the boat. The barrel is 1/2" shorter than Canadian law permits but because the shotgun was manufactured this way and not modified after manufacture to have the slightly shorter barrel it's allowed in.

You can get the firearms form on line or at a Canadian customs office. I have a bunch at home and we carry some on the boat.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
My experience going through customs once into Canada;

Canadian Customs Office (CCO) "Do you have any guns with you?"
Me "No"
CCO "Do you own a gun?"
Me "Yes"
CCO "Where is your gun?"
Me "At my home in the US"

Although I strongly wanted to respond that it was none of her business where the gun was if I was not brining it into Canada. Certainly discretion was the better part of valor in this case. We had a great time on the visit.

As I understand the regulations, you can't take personal protection pepper spray into Canada but you can take the large canisters of bear spray. Strange, but it works for me. The more the merrier.

Used to be you could take a shotgun into Canada as long as it's not a semi auto and you declared it. They would ask what it was for and I would always say protection from bears and they were good with that answer.

I haven't done it in years and I'm being told there is more to it now. A friend who hunts up in Alberta told me he had to take a gun safety class up in BC and has a permit to bring his rifle across the border. There is a fee for the permit naturally. I don't know if this was required because he's hunting or if it is standard for non residents now crossing with a gun??

So I would definitely check it out before you show up at the border with a shotgun or rifle.

Even though they don't search your car or boat every time, taking a hand gun into Canada is a Felony. If they catch you, they don't take it lightly and Customs doesn't give warnings or make exceptions, they seize your car/boat and book you in jail. How much do you value your boat and your freedom?? It's not worth it!! :eek:

Last edited:
Most Americans think that Canadians cannot own handguns. This is not true. I sell handguns in one of the two sports shops I own. The law on handguns here is that you must convey your firearm directly from your place of residence to a recognized shooting facility, of which you must be a member, and then straight home. Handguns are classified as restricted. Some are prohibited, such as any with a barrel shorter than 4". But... you can also be licenced to own prohibs. Yes, the laws are strange.

I guess I won't be going to Canada. There's enough cruising areas that allow me to defend myself.

Living on the borderline (Windsor/Detroit) we see people bringing guns into the country daily. Well at least as far as the inspection station. If there is one thing CBSA is very good at is catching guns. We average 1 person a day it seems that are charged.
Don't even consider just showing up and thinking you can talk your way through it.

You really don't need to bring a gun to Canada.

Guns have to shipped from one ffl to another ffl. A fee will be involved. I assume you are referring to a "handgun".

I've thought about that. The problem I see is that I will ship from the last US state before I leave (New York) to the first state when I het back (Illinois).

What could go wrong with that????

Leave the gun off the boat. You don't need it on the loop.

I'm probably one of the few people who ever did the loop and called 9-1-1 because of a serious physical threat at 11 pm from another boat trying to board us. Trust me, it was the biggest thing that had happened in Paducah, KY all year. Every police officer, squad car, and K9 team was at their town dock where we were tied up within 45 seconds. You couldn't have armed yourself that fast...

I guess I won't be going to Canada. There's enough cruising areas that allow me to defend myself.

I guess you should probably not come to cruise in Canada. If being able to bring a gun here is a determining factor on whether you cruise here, or not, you should just stay home, where your chance of being killed by a gun are much much higher than here in Canada. Don't forget, I sell guns!

I was wondering how long this thread would last before we lost our self control. OP, you have most of your answer. Good luck! For the rest of us, let's talk about Jesus...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom