Old 10-04-2014, 08:07 PM   #21
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidgear View Post
...transient miscreant crowd...
Oh brother. I don't even know where to begin with an attitude like that. So much I could say but I'll just zip it and move on.

kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 08:13 PM   #22
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
Oh brother. I don't even know where to begin with an attitude like that. So much I could say but I'll just zip it and move on.

I hope Jeff puts in his own entry of one place to never stop.....and this post is coming form yours truly.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	th.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	33389  

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 09:59 PM   #23
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
1) I've never seen a used needle disposal bin in a public restroom.

2) I had a crab net stolen off the back of my boat at the Hampton (VA) public dock. There's a sign saying only registered boaters but local kids were roaming the docks crabbing. I didn't make a Federal case of an $8 crab net but it could have been something more valuable.

Crime is where you find it and security gates are only as good as the last person who went trough and left it open.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 12:29 AM   #24
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
1) I've never seen a used needle disposal bin in a public restroom.

2) I had a crab net stolen off the back of my boat at the Hampton (VA) public dock. There's a sign saying only registered boaters but local kids were roaming the docks crabbing. I didn't make a Federal case of an $8 crab net but it could have been something more valuable.

Crime is where you find it and security gates are only as good as the last person who went trough and left it open.
When I was a teenager, I once had a Bible stolen out of my car when parked in the church parking lot for church service. I figured someone really needed it. I also once had three bags of trash stolen out of a convertible while it was parked at the marina. Saved me the trip to the dumpster.

Certainly some places have higher risk than others, but there is no spot without risk. And once you protect the marina against land traffic, you still have access by thieves from the water. For a boat in which one is cruising regularly outside their home area and known area, I do believe in locking up well, believe in a security system and believe in insurance. At the local marinas we visit, we feel less threat as there are dock hands who would see any unusual activity.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 09:14 AM   #25
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidgear View Post
Active Captain and other cruising guides and organizations are what brought much of the transient miscreant crowd to previously nice sleepy little towns in the first place.
Are you suggesting I should shred my old copies of cruising guides rather than just pitch them? Or are you referring to sail boaters.
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 10:05 AM   #26
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Refugio
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Are you suggesting I should shred my old copies of cruising guides rather than just pitch them? Or are you referring to sail boaters.
He's referring to one specific crowd - they are known to travel as a pack - think Mad Max meets Waterworld - and they use Active Captain to stalk lone boaters and try to get the to join their pack. They are easily identified by their common flag on the pointy end. Oh wait, I just described a yacht club!
Old 10-06-2014, 05:51 AM   #27
FF
Guru

Folks wanting to run the Loop, should always find out where the pack is and try to be a week ahead or behind .

FF is offline   Reply With Quote