Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-04-2014, 08:07 PM   #21
Guru
 
kthoennes's Avatar
 
City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidgear View Post
...transient miscreant crowd...
Oh brother. I don't even know where to begin with an attitude like that. So much I could say but I'll just zip it and move on.
__________________
Advertisement

kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 08:13 PM   #22
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
Oh brother. I don't even know where to begin with an attitude like that. So much I could say but I'll just zip it and move on.


I hope Jeff puts in his own entry of one place to never stop.....and this post is coming form yours truly.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	th.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	33389  
__________________

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 09:59 PM   #23
Guru
 
City: North Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,390
1) I've never seen a used needle disposal bin in a public restroom.

2) I had a crab net stolen off the back of my boat at the Hampton (VA) public dock. There's a sign saying only registered boaters but local kids were roaming the docks crabbing. I didn't make a Federal case of an $8 crab net but it could have been something more valuable.

Crime is where you find it and security gates are only as good as the last person who went trough and left it open.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 12:29 AM   #24
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
1) I've never seen a used needle disposal bin in a public restroom.

2) I had a crab net stolen off the back of my boat at the Hampton (VA) public dock. There's a sign saying only registered boaters but local kids were roaming the docks crabbing. I didn't make a Federal case of an $8 crab net but it could have been something more valuable.

Crime is where you find it and security gates are only as good as the last person who went trough and left it open.
When I was a teenager, I once had a Bible stolen out of my car when parked in the church parking lot for church service. I figured someone really needed it. I also once had three bags of trash stolen out of a convertible while it was parked at the marina. Saved me the trip to the dumpster.

Certainly some places have higher risk than others, but there is no spot without risk. And once you protect the marina against land traffic, you still have access by thieves from the water. For a boat in which one is cruising regularly outside their home area and known area, I do believe in locking up well, believe in a security system and believe in insurance. At the local marinas we visit, we feel less threat as there are dock hands who would see any unusual activity.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 09:14 AM   #25
Guru
 
City: Carefree, Arizona
Country: usa
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidgear View Post
Active Captain and other cruising guides and organizations are what brought much of the transient miscreant crowd to previously nice sleepy little towns in the first place.
Are you suggesting I should shred my old copies of cruising guides rather than just pitch them? Or are you referring to sail boaters.
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 10:05 AM   #26
Guru
 
refugio's Avatar
 
City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Refugio
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Are you suggesting I should shred my old copies of cruising guides rather than just pitch them? Or are you referring to sail boaters.
He's referring to one specific crowd - they are known to travel as a pack - think Mad Max meets Waterworld - and they use Active Captain to stalk lone boaters and try to get the to join their pack. They are easily identified by their common flag on the pointy end. Oh wait, I just described a yacht club!
__________________
Keith
refugio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 05:51 AM   #27
FF
Guru
 
FF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16,518
Folks wanting to run the Loop, should always find out where the pack is and try to be a week ahead or behind .
__________________

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012