Old 04-17-2016, 05:42 PM   #21
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
We're like a couple of others here in that we've thought a lot about bikes, done the same at home, but we've never bought one. As transportation, we find other ways. We walk, public transportation, shuttles, taxi's, now you have Uber as an option in many places, and we rent cars when needed. Once we get places we want to walk and bikes don't work so well for that. For instance, you ride to a town and want to walk it and go to stores all along the way. The bike then becomes a burden. Also, we don't travel much alone. So, we'd need many bikes for the others to join us. Not willing to sacrifice the space for them.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 12:09 AM   #22
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
Muscle Flaps???

Old 04-18-2016, 06:45 AM   #23
Guru

Having lived on our boat for 8 months I found our cheap folding bikes useful, but not indispensable. Touring quaint little communities like Isle of Hope near Savannah is best done by bikes. Taxi's get expensive if you use them a lot. Bikes don't hold a lot of groceries but between the 2 of us we could nearly haul a grocery cart full of groceries. We have a couple of big insulated bags we bungeed to the back of the bikes.

We walked a lot. Six miles round trip to Walmart from the marina in Georgetown S.C. Roads were too busy for bikes. We also have a small folding cart for hauling stuff when walking.

Several marina's have loaner cars, we always took advantage.

Buses are available in larger towns. The Google navigation app even has a bus option that will tell you what bus to take and the time its suppose to pick you up. It works!

I lathered our folding bikes every couple of months with anti-corrosive spray. That works too.

We never went more than 5-6 miles on our bikes so cheap ones worked well for us.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:58 AM   #24
Guru

City: Gulf Shores, Ala.
Vessel Name: Ulysses
Vessel Model: Romsdal 1963
Xsbank: Muscle Flap. You are welcome to google it. After having a lower leg break an infection set in to the repair work. When cast was removed there was a softball size hole eaten out of my lower leg where the bone and remaining tissue was completely open. In order to rebuild the lower leg, one of the three muscles of the lower calf was surgically severed then rolled around to the front of the leg to provide wound coverage. Coverage of the hole with the blood circulation through that muscle allowed for antibiotics to be administered and a base for skin grafts. The muscle is not functional for anything other than coverage of old wound. I can still flex it and it looks like there is a frog jumping around just below my knee. So I walk missing my calf muscle. I do not have full range of motion in my left foot due to that problem.
ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:21 AM   #25
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Some marinas loan or rent golf cars. That's another way to get around.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:37 AM   #26
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulysses View Post
Xsbank: Muscle Flap. You are welcome to google it. After having a lower leg break an infection set in to the repair work. When cast was removed there was a softball size hole eaten out of my lower leg where the bone and remaining tissue was completely open. In order to rebuild the lower leg, one of the three muscles of the lower calf was surgically severed then rolled around to the front of the leg to provide wound coverage. Coverage of the hole with the blood circulation through that muscle allowed for antibiotics to be administered and a base for skin grafts. The muscle is not functional for anything other than coverage of old wound. I can still flex it and it looks like there is a frog jumping around just below my knee. So I walk missing my calf muscle. I do not have full range of motion in my left foot due to that problem.
That is horrible that it happened to you. So many people have complications, not from their breaks or torn ligaments but other complications. Staph infection is running wild in medical facilities. Actually more people getting it in hospitals now than in locker rooms.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote