Old 12-03-2013, 01:19 PM   #21

City: Baltimore
I will have a few while underway usually on the way out. perhaps i am not that good or perhaps its the single screw and no thruster. either way, i need (most) of my wits about me to get in without becoming the entertainment of the marina.

as someone else mentioned it is the "deck crew" who drinks from cast off till tie up that worries me. At some point (usually a case of beer) it is easier to have htem sit below and for me to single hand into the slip.

eseyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:53 PM   #22
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
See my reply to the "Top 10 boating rules" thread.

Absolutely no alcohol for the driver. I believe that as the boat owner and captain/operator I have total responsibility for the safety of the passengers, at least morally if not legally. I want to know that if the worst happens that I did everything in my power to prevent it.

That said, once at the dock, it's game on!

BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 02:08 PM   #23
Guru

City: somewhere
Never while underway, very little while on the hook and anything goes when tied to the dock.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:02 PM   #24
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Of course total responsibility means the operator has at least a captains license and a refresher course every year, about $200,000 worth of safety equipment, only uses a professional crew....etc...etc...please...while everyone has their opinion of alcohol and it's evils...it can get ugly when the same "standards" apply to all forms of impaired operation which includes age, fatigue, listening to the radio or passengers, and only thousands more to include prescription meds.....whether in an auto or a boat.

Some people can handle themselves after a few and others are dangerous on the water whether sober or not.

BoatUS did a study that pretty much proved that some people plastered still operated vessels better than others did sober.... so maybe we all should be subject to a test .
before heading out.

Know your limits ....and those limits may not be the same for everyone.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:13 PM   #25
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
Ouch!!!! how fast was he going to that significant of damage?
He was running on plane, about 10:00 at night on a calm, clear night. We were drifting, had our nav lights and we were about the only boat out there.

He had been drinking most of the day and he and his new squeeze were on their way to a waterfront bar with a dock to have more drinks.

His boat (2455 Bayliner Ciera) came completely out of the water on top of our boat then slid back off into the water.

His bowrail had penetrated the side of my boat, above the rub rail and when his boat came up out of the water it ripped the top deck of my boat up and tore it almost all the way across the deck.

Can you see why I'm VERY cautious about drinking and boating? I don't want someone on my boat (or another boat) to get hurt because I didn't exercise self control.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:27 PM   #26

WOW that would be one hell of a sight...did you see him coming? i take it everyone is OK.

this guy clearly had way more than a few drinks.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:29 PM   #27

Oh and i love the fact that when you put her back in the slip you put the fenders out...that is love for a boat.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:16 PM   #28

City: LaPaz ,Mexico and the Sea of Cortez
Vessel Name: Delta Swizzler
Vessel Model: 1988 58' Vantare
I've been told I enjoy more then my fair share, once the hook hits the water and I'm done moving for the day, but while we are moving I don't touch the stuff. Love too, but I'm still learning how to handle this beast. There is plenty of time once we are moored and the hook is set.
Dswizzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:22 PM   #29
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Of course total responsibility means the operator has at least a captains license and a refresher course every year, about $200,000 worth of safety equipment, only uses a professional crew....etc...etc...please...while everyone has their opinion of alcohol and it's evils...it can get ugly when the same "standards" apply to all forms of impaired operation . . .

BoatUS did a study that pretty much proved that some people plastered still operated vessels better than others did sober.... so maybe we all should be subject to a test .
before heading out.
How'd you come up with this definition? Do you really mean anyone without a captain's license is less than fully responsible?

And if you're talking about this study, BoatUS Foundation Findings Report #32: Alcohol and Boating - January 1999 that's a pretty selective reading of the facts.
angus99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:40 PM   #30
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
I make sure I always have enough on hand and usually keep the still going while underway.
Attached Images

Capthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:43 PM   #31
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
For those from anywhere near the Chicago area, the Chain of Lakes drinking while boating situation is legend, as are the accidents, injuries and deaths. Nighttime boating is moving from one waterfront bar to the next.

Of course all of this may have changed in the 10 years since I have been up there.

Marty
Bay Pelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:45 PM   #32
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Of course total responsibility means the operator has at least a captains license and a refresher course every year, about $200,000 worth of safety equipment, only uses a professional crew....etc...etc...please...
If you're referring to my post, I did write: " ...at least morally if not legally..." You know, it's that personal responsibility thing.

Even so, in case of an accident and the inevitable lawsuit, I'm not going to count on a defense of, "Hey, I have limited responsibility for my actions because I'm not a licensed Captain." Somehow, I just don't see that carrying the day.
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:58 PM   #33
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Grog itself is a mixture of rum ,water with some sugar and lemon juice. One third rum to two thirds water.

During the eighteenth & nineteen century the Royal Navy issued every sailor half a pint of rum mixed with water every day, even young midshipmen were entitled to this allowance and they managed not to bump into too many things, at least not accidentally.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:27 PM   #34
Guru

Angus99, thanks for posting the link to the BoatUS report, enabling an accurate first hand understanding of findings which speak for themselves.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:33 PM   #35
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancora View Post
A "dark and stormy" once the sun is over the yard arm, whatever that means.
This!