Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-25-2015, 01:02 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
6-Pack's Avatar
 
City: Everett, Wa
Vessel Name: The 6-Pack
Vessel Model: 1983 45' CHB Europa Trawler
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 189
Grocery Store Guide - Puget Sound

My wife and I will be leaving with our family for an extended cruise of the South Puget Sound. My wife will go anywhere with me on the boat but she wants to have access to an affordable grocery store for provisioning. We are moored in the second largest marina on the west coast and there is not a grocery store within walking distance. She hates shopping at the expensive grocery stores collocated with most marinas. We are trying to cruise on a budget and as you know farmers markets and accessible stores seem to want to fleece the average boater. Does anyone know of a guide or website that might have a cruisers guide to marinas with walking access to decent box style grocery stores? There does not seem to be anything in the Waggoner Guide for example about this other than what is at the marina.
__________________
Advertisement

__________________
Jeff & Michelle
The 6-Pack
1983 45' CHB Europa
6-Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 02:11 PM   #2
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,131
Google Maps is your friend. Just type "Grocery stores near wherever". Plenty of Safeway's near the sound.

For any significant provisioning I'd either borrow a vehicle or get a taxi, at least on the return trip. Perhaps walk to the store, taxi back.
__________________

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 03:48 PM   #3
THD
Guru
 
City: Seattle
Country: US
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,142
6-Pack-Google is a good idea, but, thinking about it, I don't really recall any marina we have been in around the Sound with a chain-type (Safeway/QFC) store within walking distance. I think you might have to resign yourself to stocking up pretty well and then figuring out how to bus/taxi to stores.
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 04:05 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Boydski's Avatar
 
City: Olympia, WA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Sea Eagle
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 201
Hi Jeff and Michelle,

If you make it down South as far as Olympia, there is a Bayview Thriftway just a block from Percival Landing (you can moor the big boat there or take the dingy). The store is right next door to the Olympia Yacht Club and isn't the cheapest in town, but the prices are reasonable and it is very convenient. The Farmer's market is also nearby and runs almost every day.

The other option would be to hop on a bus (the transit center is 1 block away) and take Route 47 to Safeway or Route 12 to Fred Meyer/Costco.
__________________
Scott (Boydski) Boyd
Yes Please, Grand Banks Eastbay
Sea Eagle, Nordhavn 47 (sold)
Boydski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 04:20 PM   #5
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,131
Safeway offers deliver in Issaquah, Kirkland, Lake Stevens, Mill Creek, Milton, Puyallup, Renton, Seattle, Silverdale, and Vancouver, so if you're at a marina in any of those areas you can get it delivered.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 04:21 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
City: CA
Country: USA
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 178
The biggest shopping shock we encountered when provisioning in Anacortes for a week on Orcas Island was paying US $55 for a 1.75 Liter bottle of cheap Tequila that we can purchase locally in over taxed Mommie-fornia for $18. ALL liquor in WA is extremely overpriced.
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 05:00 PM   #7
Guru
 
City: Satsuma FL
Country: United States
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
ALL liquor in WA is extremely overpriced.
Ah, the vice tax. The good state of Washington wants you to sober up. Remind me to bring my Southern Comfort with me.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 05:06 PM   #8
Guru
 
refugio's Avatar
 
City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Refugio
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,141
Gig Harbor had a small chain grocery (forget the company) that closed a couple of years ago. But when we were there last fall I spotted this (attached), and a quick Google search shows that "Harbor Greens" is open in Gig Harbor.

Gig Harbor is a fabulous boating destination - suggest staying at Arabella's Landing, eating at Net Shed #9 (I think). Actually, there was a thread last year about Gig Harbor...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HarborGreensGigHarbor.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	187.9 KB
ID:	41404  
refugio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 05:12 PM   #9
THD
Guru
 
City: Seattle
Country: US
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,142
Donsan-not so much vice tax. Until three years ago, the state was the only liquor seller, state operated stores. Costco was instrumental in getting a referendum passed to get the state out of the liquor business. But, the state figured they were losing a lot of money giving it up and so imposed some fees (in addition to sales taxes) to make it all up. It is a bit disconcerting to pick up a 750ml bottle of booze listed for sale for $35, and get to the register and be told the bill is now $53 (with all the fees & taxes added in).
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 05:15 PM   #10
Guru
 
refugio's Avatar
 
City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Refugio
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
ALL liquor in WA is extremely overpriced.
Sure, but our (legal!) weed prices are lower than California - High Quality, average cost per ounce:
California - $241.95
Washington - $231.76
refugio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 05:40 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
6-Pack's Avatar
 
City: Everett, Wa
Vessel Name: The 6-Pack
Vessel Model: 1983 45' CHB Europa Trawler
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boydski View Post
Hi Jeff and Michelle,

If you make it down South as far as Olympia, there is a Bayview Thriftway just a block from Percival Landing (you can moor the big boat there or take the dingy). The store is right next door to the Olympia Yacht Club and isn't the cheapest in town, but the prices are reasonable and it is very convenient. The Farmer's market is also nearby and runs almost every day.

The other option would be to hop on a bus (the transit center is 1 block away) and take Route 47 to Safeway or Route 12 to Fred Meyer/Costco.

Scott,

This is really helpful thanks!

-Jeff
__________________
Jeff & Michelle
The 6-Pack
1983 45' CHB Europa
6-Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 05:42 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
6-Pack's Avatar
 
City: Everett, Wa
Vessel Name: The 6-Pack
Vessel Model: 1983 45' CHB Europa Trawler
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by refugio View Post
Gig Harbor had a small chain grocery (forget the company) that closed a couple of years ago. But when we were there last fall I spotted this (attached), and a quick Google search shows that "Harbor Greens" is open in Gig Harbor.

Gig Harbor is a fabulous boating destination - suggest staying at Arabella's Landing, eating at Net Shed #9 (I think). Actually, there was a thread last year about Gig Harbor...
Yes, we love Gig Harbor. However, we are headed further south as well and we are just trying to figure out where to go. I agree with your comments above. We took the easy to use shuttle into town and went to the Fred Meyer. It was a good adventure!
__________________
Jeff & Michelle
The 6-Pack
1983 45' CHB Europa
6-Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 05:42 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
6-Pack's Avatar
 
City: Everett, Wa
Vessel Name: The 6-Pack
Vessel Model: 1983 45' CHB Europa Trawler
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Safeway offers deliver in Issaquah, Kirkland, Lake Stevens, Mill Creek, Milton, Puyallup, Renton, Seattle, Silverdale, and Vancouver, so if you're at a marina in any of those areas you can get it delivered.
Thanks - I will check into what Safeway charges. I have never tried that before!
__________________
Jeff & Michelle
The 6-Pack
1983 45' CHB Europa
6-Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 05:59 PM   #14
Guru
 
City: Satsuma FL
Country: United States
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
Donsan-not so much vice tax. Until three years ago, the state was the only liquor seller, state operated stores. Costco was instrumental in getting a referendum passed to get the state out of the liquor business. But, the state figured they were losing a lot of money giving it up and so imposed some fees (in addition to sales taxes) to make it all up. It is a bit disconcerting to pick up a 750ml bottle of booze listed for sale for $35, and get to the register and be told the bill is now $53 (with all the fees & taxes added in).
I was joking. Minimum prices of liquor are controlled by the state of Michigan. This was a compromise made some years ago which permitted grocery stores and chains like Walmart and Meijers to sell liquor in competition to liquor stores and mom and pop shops. The result is liquor costs 50-100 percent more than in FL. Not sure why voters haven't demanded the state be removed from the liquor pricing business but it is convenient getting liquor in grocery stores. More fun to drink in FL anyway!
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:55 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
City: CA
Country: USA
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 178
Thanks for that

But I do not smoke the dummy weed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by refugio View Post
Sure, but our (legal!) weed prices are lower than California - High Quality, average cost per ounce:
California - $241.95
Washington - $231.76
__________________

BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012