Old 05-25-2010, 12:30 AM   #21
Scraping Paint

City: -
RE: Greetings!!

Quote:
Peter B wrote:

As to FF's costings - not sure what planet he lives on. For a start we have to have $10 million in public liability on top of the boat cover, so insurance is about $900 per yr just for my old thing. Things must be very different over there. Traval lift just in and out adds up to more than his $10 a month over 3 yrs
Our insurance cost (yacht policy through a broker) is about US$ 1,200*a year which in talking to friends who have similar types of boats seems pretty average.* We have to haul out every two years or so for bottom prep and paint, so if one figures that cost on a monthly basis for the two years, that comes out to about $40 a month, assuming we don't find anything mechanically wrong when we have the boat out of the water.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:00 AM   #22
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser

Your right Peter it can be expensive, it's all about priorities. That's why I have a boat and my missus has a house in Brisbane.
She loves to cruise but hates living on the boat when not going anywhere.
So I get to do all the work and maintenance plus go visit to do the manual chores at the house, grass cutting etc.
Ya just gotta luv it. Being a timber boat I have to haul out at least every 12 months just to keep the worms at bay.
It's all about comprise just to keep everyone happy.
Benn

Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 03:46 AM   #23
FF
Guru

Greetings!!

Here in the US , both the yards in CT and FL are priced about the same, $3.00 per ft for a short haul , blocked .

Extra buck a foot for a power wash , I usually pay for it then I do it , as the bottom comes out ready for paint.

Good paint (we use Micron) about $ 120 a gallon , roller is cheap, masking tape not a killer.

Extra day and paint if you like a boot stripe of a contrasting color.

In CT we haul winters so the paint is usually done with spring launch , so no extra haul costs.

In FL were in Fresh water hurricane hole , so paint goes almost "forever" , and any slime leaves after a day or two in the Gulf.

Cost of Maintenance about the same probably as our house, which here on the gulf coast is high. Roughly 5000-12000 year.

I dont know how one can spend $12,000 a year on simple maint , our 2300 sq ft* metal roof only cost $4000 in FL..

Most maint is grunt work, remove a rotten item , reseal it , stick in a new HW heater , $300 for a great one.

Where IS this money going?

FF

-- Edited by FF on Tuesday 25th of May 2010 03:50:05 AM
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:10 AM   #24

Greetings!!

I'm sure FF will respond shortly, but I'll chime in*as a third party advocate. (I've been to his planet).

I*first met*FF in my back yard- the Great Lakes- actually the Canadian side of the GL- about 300 miles from my home and 2500 miles from his. That was a three week cruise for me and several months for FF.*The next winter, I visited FF's home in Florida, and*I can say*he and his wife*are a unique couple. Both have varied interests but travel is a primary. They also 'motorhome' around the country. Their boat, a converted US Navy Launch with a single DD6-71,*is simple but more than adequate for coastal cruising.*The onboard systems are kept basic which*equates to low maintenance costs, done 100% by himself, dockage is in front of his home. The elaborate electronics and other gadgets, that so many of us desire today are not necessary. FF navigates the way I did 35 years ago, but that does not keep him close to home. So if we want to boat into*our retirenment years, perhaps we need to re-define our*'boating'. Not necessarily a tin pram, but*return to some 'basics', and more self reliance.*If we are boaters, FF*may be*a mariner. I think his persona could be 'photoshopped' aboard a fishing schooner 150 years ago and not be detected by the crew.

Come to think of it - perhaps it's not another planet, just a time-warp.

BTW - FF, that will be $5 for the character reference. please mail to. . . . .*
lol

OOps, I see now that FF responded - sorry about the missed timing

-- Edited by artwork on Tuesday 25th of May 2010 06:15:06 AM

-- Edited by artwork on Tuesday 25th of May 2010 06:15:22 AM
artwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 04:00 AM   #25
FF
Guru

"FF, that will be $5 for the character reference. please mail to. . . . ."

There goes the cruising cash!

Running inshore ( under 100 mi out) and cruising the AICW the hand held GPS is a usefull toy, at $150 , its easier than knocking a hole in the bottom for speed reading , and with a map built in (it was $150!) planning on getting to a restricted bridge (when sailing) is nice.

Motoring in fog it finds the buoys .

MY point is that the trip is far more enjoyable with out being tied to a huge monitoring and maint budget.

Sure we check the oil on each shutdown , and change it every 100 , but with KISS , that's about it!

Being on a budget does not require cruising limits , only junk aboard limits.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:42 AM   #26

Quote:
FF wrote:

Cost of Maintenance about the same probably as our house, which here on the gulf coast is high. Roughly 5000-12000 year.

I dont know how one can spend $12,000 a year on simple maint , our 2300 sq ft* metal roof only cost $4000 in FL..

Where IS this money going?
FF

FF thats a good question. Let me try to answer it.

That amount is guestimated by the fact that the boat would be a 25 year old fiberglass trawler, 44-50 LOA when purchased in good condition. It factors in a whole lot more than just simple maintiance that you speak of. Like replacing or repairing during the time of ownership (say 10 years) of the batteries, refrigeration, pumps, air conditioners, cushions, canvas, tender and outboard, engines, electronics, repainting not only the underwater but above water. And at the end of it all, putting money into it to get it to a*sell-able*condition. I figure a minimum of 50000 and a max of 100,000 or so. Could be more. Cost per year is 5-10K or 400-800 per month. This would be for a boat that would go at least 5000 miles a year I figure.

Now before you say, "you don't need this or that, or a boat that big or stuff like that. Belive me when I say that I am pretty sure of what I will want out of the boat, and that is a long water line and large tankage. So that means larger boats that can go off shore. Boats like that cost money. Money to buy, money to maintain, and occasionally, a boat load of money to fix like when it gets hit by lightening, or the engines crap out. New engines cost a lot, as do rebuilding them. I spent over 50K in the last 2 years on my Endeavour after taking on a lot of water and putting the keel on the bottom, so a lot of work was needed to fix her. Insurance *covered a lot of it, but I paid a lot out of pocket. And next time I will be self insured. So I have to be able to cover stuff*like*that.

So that is the reason for those numbers. Could be less, might be more.

Bob
bobfnbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:13 PM   #27
FF
Guru

Like replacing or repairing during the time of ownership (say 10 years) of the batteries, refrigeration, pumps, air conditioners, cushions, canvas, tender and outboard, engines, electronics, repainting not only the underwater but above water. And at the end of it all, putting money into it to get it to a sell-able condition

Batteries are a cost when the batts abilities to discharge & recharge are USED , so the batts might be an expense while cruising , dockside with a modern charger they last a long time.

Refrigeration , depends , a house fridge sent crappy inverter juice will have a shorter life than stuck in a house , although I have to observe our Propane unit is , at a guess 45 years old.

Most boats don't leak enough to actually wear out pumps , they die from crappy wiring and poor voltage , PM.

Again I have seen and re installed 30 year old Cruise Airs , that worked fine.

Canvas does die just being in sun shine , but there is little need for it to be in place 24/7/365, IF the canvas dies replace it with easily removable stuff , and set it as required.

WE have a 40 year old Grumman aluminum dink that rows with 1 or 2 oarsmen in a good chop, ( holds 4 or 5 depending on sea state and sails like a demon .

They are so hard to find it is chained , even when aboard.

Condom boats only last a short while and will frequently loose the outboard as they sink astern.

Electronics add ZERO to any boats resale , as there dated the day you purchase them.
Have fun with the toys , but take them to the next boat wity you ,no one will pay you for them.

Topside paint is best done the month before you dump the boat , never during a cruise for obvious reasons.

Most larger boat engines I am familiar with do not get "replaced".
A simple in frame (up to 3 times) , On a DD 6-71 its $900 to $1100 worth of parts, and a bunch of work.

But REPLACE ?, only after a catastropic failure of some sort.

Murphy Co sells mechanical gauges that are settable , so the watch stander need not understand what to monitor on the engine offshore , the Murphy set will secure it for you.

Not saying it is not common to dump major cash into a boat , but THAT ,
spending for just the next few desirements seems to abort more cruises than lack of toys.

You havent mentioned ground tackle and if you cruise you WILL loose gear at times.

BIG , Used as spares works for me,