Old 02-06-2018, 05:51 PM   #1

City: Victoria, BC
Vessel Name: Timeless
Vessel Model: CHB 34
Great YouTube videos

Thought other TF members might enjoy this YouTube channel as much as I do. Done in a very casual manner by a couple who live and cruise aboard their 55’ Cheoy Lee trawler. Great videos of the BC coast and an interesting series on a refit they’ve been completing this winter.
Here’s a link to the introduction.

Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 06:47 PM   #2
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Very nice, thanks. Just on the Episode 13 video, we sure hope to do that same trip someday. Huh, around $7K for a 103-day trip over 2,000 miles, that's not bad at all. Heck, we spend half that for a one week charter for a 40-something footer in the San Juans (split between two couples, but still). 300 hours on the engines for 2,000 miles, my first thought was, see, I guess I don't necessarily NEED diesel engines after all, 300 hours on my gassers is still pretty low. And $33 average for marina nights?! Boy that's low. Good to know since we tend to be marina-hoppers. Interesting videos.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 06:47 PM   #3

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Selkie
Vessel Model: Canoe Cove 41
Ha! We met these very nice folks while spending the weekend aboard Selkie near Campbell River. It was late summer and they were heading back home to Wa.
saltcod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 06:51 PM   #4
Guru

City: Oriental N.C.
Vessel Name: true heading
Vessel Model: marine trader 38 dc
I like these too but it's been a few weeks since they put up a video I hope they keep it up
timb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:45 PM   #5

Episode #23 posted yesterday.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:32 PM   #6

City: Everett, Washington
Vessel Name: Sea Venture
Vessel Model: 54' Cheoy Lee LRT
Doug,

Jim and Rosy Addington here from Sea Venture.

I have looked at the forum for a long time and your post has prompted us to become a member and join the conversation.

I could not figure out what caused a sudden uptick in YouTube views, and now I know.

I'm glad you are enjoying the videos - we enjoy making them. We really enjoy how much it has been a conduit to connect with other cruisers.

Its turned into a hobby and replaced the scrap booking we have done for years at the end of each extended trip.

We are looking forward to more ocean travel both this summer and beyond.

Happy Cruising,
Jim and Rosy Addington
M/V Sea Venture
Cruising Sea Venture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 01:34 PM   #7

Hi Selkie,

We found Doug's post, which has prompted us finally join Trawler Forum, rather then just read from the sidelines.

I'm surprised you would have remembered meeting up. If I recall correctly, it was just behind Seymour Narrows. We were shore tied and you went to the dock for the night - and one of your dogs fell into the water!

Happy Cruising,
Jim and Rosy Addington
M/V Sea Venture
Old 02-14-2018, 02:36 PM   #8
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Nice work, Jim and Rosy!

I know how much time it takes to create longer videos like yours, so I'm impressed. I'll have to catch up and watch a few more episodes, but we'll pick one to share on our Facebook page so we can get you more viewers.

Hope to run into you "out there" this summer!
https://www.theboatgeeks.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 02:47 PM   #9

Hi Darren,

Thanks for the kind words. We are just a couple having a lot of fun.

We subscribe to your channel. By the way - love your boat! Probably no surprise there.

If you watch any of the refit series, all the work on Sea Venture is being done at the Port Townsend Shipwrights Co-Op. They have been great to work with.

We are excited to get the new superstructure and paravanes installed and head off on another great summer north. Then in 2019 we will head to Mexico and beyond.

Hopefully we will be able to add something useful to the Trawler Forum conversations.

Wishing you "no wind and flat seas".

Jim and Rosy Addington
M/V Sea Venture
Old 02-14-2018, 03:44 PM   #10
Guru

City: Pahrump, NV
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Sold Selene 47
Cheers Jim and Rosy!

We have been watching your Vlog for a few months ourselves, and a great job you two are doing on it. A lot of effort and time go into the Video production and its a joy to see Trawlers on you tube.
We also will be heading south in 2019, may hook up with you at some point. This year if all goes well, we plan to cruise the Columbia and Snake. Looking forward to meeting up with several TFers along the way.
Thanks again,
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 04:06 PM   #11

City: Comox
Vessel Model: 1989 Wellington 57 motorsailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruising Sea Venture View Post
Doug,

I have looked at the forum for a long time and your post has prompted us to become a member and join the conversation.

I could not figure out what caused a sudden uptick in YouTube views, and now I know.

I'm glad you are enjoying the videos - we enjoy making them. We really enjoy how much it has been a conduit to connect with other cruisers.

Its turned into a hobby and replaced the scrap booking we have done for years at the end of each extended trip.

Happy Cruising,
Jim and Rosy Addington
M/V Sea Venture
Welcome Jim and Rosy. It was Doug's original post on this thread that got me over to your youtube channel.. Love your videos and your journey. I found your refit videos educational, thanks for that! Can't wait to see your paravane rigging go up.
Nightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty Chief View Post
Cheers Jim and Rosy!

We have been watching your Vlog for a few months ourselves, and a great job you two are doing on it. A lot of effort and time go into the Video production and its a joy to see Trawlers on you tube.
We also will be heading south in 2019, may hook up with you at some point. This year if all goes well, we plan to cruise the Columbia and Snake. Looking forward to meeting up with several TFers along the way.
Thanks again,
John and Tracy,

Sounds great. The Selene 47 is a fantastic boat. We spent the summer in Haida Gwaii, (Use to be called the Queen Charlotte Islands) and saw only 4 other cruising boats in 7 weeks. The only other boat we came accross on the west coast was a Selene 47.

We will follow you blog and hopefully be able to connect on the water at some point.

Jim and Rosy
M/V Sea Venture
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGi...AuaqKLu0t4fFgw
Old 02-14-2018, 06:27 PM   #13

Glad the post got you some well deserved attention Jim and Rosie. It’s good to see you on Trawler Forum, lots of good information here.
We’ll watch for you on the water this summer.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:14 PM   #14

City: Portland
That was a great link -and great to have the YouTubers join us here on the forum. Another suggestion are the couple at Trying Not To Sink:https://youtu.be/HDIerQxHo6o

And these two are great as well, though they've segued back to sail -a catameran.
https://youtu.be/-3vtC1CYqkM
Dubnuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 09:56 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
Very nice, thanks. Just on the Episode 13 video, we sure hope to do that same trip someday. Huh, around $7K for a 103-day trip over 2,000 miles, that's not bad at all. Heck, we spend half that for a one week charter for a 40-something footer in the San Juans (split between two couples, but still). 300 hours on the engines for 2,000 miles, my first thought was, see, I guess I don't necessarily NEED diesel engines after all, 300 hours on my gassers is still pretty low. And $33 average for marina nights?! Boy that's low. Good to know since we tend to be marina-hoppers. Interesting videos.
We are glad you have enjoyed our videos!

In planning / budgeting for such a trip you should plan for more than $33 per night. Ours was lower then average for 3 reasons.

1) We spent 3 nights at Princess Louisa at the dock, where it cost $20 per night donation no matter the size of the boat
2) We used our Everett Yacht Club reciprocal in Nanimo, BC, so it only cost a few dollars a night there
3) and the biggest one - in Sandspit, in Haida Gwaii, the harbor master let us pay for one months moorage - about $275, and then use the 30 days off and on over the course of the summer. Due to logistics, we were there 4 different times for a total of 18 nights.

If I was budgeting, I would plan $1 per foot per night to be safe for a trip north.

Wishing you, "no wind and flat seas".

Jim and Rosy Addington
M/V Sea Venture
Old 02-15-2018, 10:00 AM   #16
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
Great videos! Ive been watching these for a while now. We have some celebrities on the forum now!

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 11:37 AM   #17
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Hi Jim & Rosy. Welcome to TF.

Bess and I have sort of binge-watched all the refit video in the past few days. Interesting stuff and surely helpful to lots of people here. We are hooked now for sure.

I have one GLARING question that we have asked ourselves while watching (and you COULD answer this on your vblog instead if you like). What prompted, or what was the mentality, to commit to putting $112,000 into a boat that old? Possibly 50% of the boats value (guessing)you have now put into upgrades. Considering the combined investment, could you not have almost just purchased a boat to more fit your needs?
Old 02-15-2018, 11:54 AM   #18
Guru

City: Oriental N.C.
Vessel Name: true heading
Vessel Model: marine trader 38 dc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post

Bess and I have sort of binge-watched all the refit video in the past few days. Interesting stuff and surely helpful to lots of people here. We are hooked now for sure.

I have one GLARING question that we have asked ourselves while watching (and you COULD answer this on your vblog instead if you like). What prompted, or what was the mentality, to commit to putting $112,000 into a boat that old? Possibly 50% of the boats value (guessing)you have now put into upgrades. Considering the combined investment, could you not have almost just purchased a boat to more fit your needs?
can you get a stabilized twin engine in great shape boat that size for 200k?
timb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 12:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post

Tom and Bess,

Thanks for the welcome and watching our video's. It has turned into somewhat of an out of control hobby!

Great Question - and your not the first to ask.

Previously, we had a 45' trawler that we cruised between Puget Sound and South East Alaska for 15 years. It was great. We decided we wanted to do more long range cruising.

In looking for true ocean going power boats we had a few choices.

First, we wanted to stay with boats that had been designed and built specifically for ocean travel - not modified and / or just doable.

We saw Nordhavn's - specifically the 55 was inviting. They ran anywhere from $1M used to $4.5M new and have a range of about 2,000 NM. We know some cruisers with a 52' Nordhavn that circumnavigated and had to modify the boat by adding fuel bladders in the cockpit to make it work.

There are also Selene's, Diesel Ducks, and some other boats out there as well. All were very comparable, with both strenghs and weaknesses.

We then started looking at some older boats. In looking at older boats we wanted a proven blue water cruising boat that had been very well maintained and updated over time.

We came across Sea Venture (not her name at the time). She met those needs. The prior owners had spent 10 years traveling 60,000 NM throughout North, Central, South America and the southern Pacific.

They had maintained her very well and kept very detailed records since new.

In the era when Sea Venture was built, there were very few ocean going trawlers out there. Her sister ship, Chartwell, was one of the first owner/operated power boats to ever circumnavigate in the 80's.

With a 4,000+ NM range, and meeting all the guidelines detailed in Robert Beebe's Voyaging Under Power, she met all our requirements.

We knew when looking at her that one her stabilization was weak - she was equipped with a steading sail that was not very useful. She also had teak decks in 4 areas originally, of which two areas had previously been removed. These items were reflected in the price when we bought her.

We knew the stabilization was a comfort issue. Sea Venture doesn't really care how much she rolls along while cruising. But for us, we wanted the comfort that the stabilization would provide.

Yes, the refit is expensive - about 1/2 of it is going toward rebuilding the upper deck and making it strong enough to hold the 800' dinghy and about 1/2 if it toward the new superstructure / paravane system. We could have spent less without the crows nest, but we thought that would just be fun to have. We also wanted to make sure the whole system was up to the task, so it was all designed by a navel architect with extensive experience in paravane systems. He designed a larger / stronger system then many boats are equipped with. The stronger it is, the longer the poles can be, and the longer the poles, the more stabilization the system provides.

There would be no purpose is doing this refit if we only wanted to coastal cruise, either from Seattle to Alaska, or down the coast to Mexico. These are all fairly short distances and you could just live with the rolling for those trips. The prior owners did. We just decided we wanted to be more comfortable in both good and bad weather. Of note, the prior owners on one occassion got caught 1,000 NM from shore, going from the Galapagos Islands to La Paz, Mexico in 50kn winds and 30 ft seas for several days. They said you could not stand up due to the rolling, but at no time did they feel the need to deploy the sea anchor and wait for the storm to pass. They did slow up a little to stop the bow from being buried, but that was it. Lets hope with modern weather tools available we can avoid that, but it's nice to know Sea Venture is up to the task, and hopefully, the new paravane system will be up to it as well.

When all done, we think we will have a great ocean going power boat for under $400K. The value of the boat when completed was not a factor in our decision making process. If it had to pencil out, no boat would be worth owning.

I hope this answers your question. I know lots of people might think we are crazy, but that's ok. Many of our relatives think ending our careers in our early 50's, then living and cruising full time is crazy too. But for us, compared to the high stress corporate world we came from, it's a dream come true.

Thanks,
Jim and Rosy Addington
M/V Sea Venture
Old 02-15-2018, 12:42 PM   #20

City: Poulsbo, WA
Vessel Name: M/V Knot Knormal
Vessel Model: President 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruising Sea Venture View Post
Doug,

Happy Cruising,
Jim and Rosy Addington
M/V Sea Venture
Hey Jim and Rosie, just watched your first video (trip to Keyport), nice job. Jim, I really relate with you having to get up early to he his higness The Cat. Our little furry live-aboard likes to eat at 6 AM, I do not. So we got one of these two-day automatic feeders and that particular problem was solved. Hopefully we will meet you somewhere on the water this summer.

Marty...........................
MartySchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote