Old 02-15-2018, 01:10 PM   #21
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruising Sea Venture View Post
When all done, we think we will have a great ocean going power boat for under $400K. The value of the boat when completed was not a factor in our decision making process. If it had to pencil out, no boat would be worth owning.

I hope this answers your question. I know lots of people might think we are crazy, but that's ok. Many of our relatives think ending our careers in our early 50's, then living and cruising full time is crazy too. But for us, compared to the high stress corporate world we came from, it's a dream come true.

Thanks,
Jim and Rosy Addington
M/V Sea Venture
Your entire response was great, but the last two paragraphs really stand out in terms of justifying (when and if we are compelled to) our "lifestyle" choice. But the line I highlighted, well that is truly a powerful sentence about the enjoyment and intrinsic value of boat ownership!

https://www.pacificnwboatertested.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 03:02 PM   #22
Guru

City: Cary NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'
Quote:
Wishing you "no wind and flat seas".

Totally stealing this!!

Tom and I are totally enjoying watching your adventures!! You're videos are helping us get through the winter months!

Besslb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 09:23 PM   #23

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Selkie
Vessel Model: Canoe Cove 41
Quote:
Hi Selkie,

We found Doug's post, which has prompted us finally join Trawler Forum, rather then just read from the sidelines.

I'm surprised you would have remembered meeting up. If I recall correctly, it was just behind Seymour Narrows. We were shore tied and you went to the dock for the night - and one of your dogs fell into the water!

Happy Cruising,
Jim and Rosy Addington
M/V Sea Venture
Well, er, I remember you folks, I have a pretty good memory of your boat, I don't remember one of our dogs falling in the water, it is a pretty common happening!
saltcod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 01:51 PM   #24

City: NW Washington State
Vessel Name: Kingfisher
Vessel Model: 37' converted gillnetter/crabber
Quote:
We are glad you have enjoyed our videos!
Jim and Rosy, my wife and I have just discovered your videos and are so grateful to you for making them. We're just starting out boating together and especially like seeing how "just plain folks" are out there enjoying their boats in this amazing part of the world. We'll definitely be following along as your adventures continue. Thanks again!

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. ~The Dalai Lama
Sabre602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 03:33 PM   #25
Veteran Member

City: Everett, Washington
Vessel Name: Sea Venture
Vessel Model: 54' Cheoy Lee LRT
Anson and Donna,

We are glad you are enjoying the videos. It's just an out of control hobby. We enjoy making them alot.

Maybe we can connect up some time while cruising! It would be great to see your boat.

If you have any questions, or if there is anything else we can do to make your boating easier, please let us know.

Thanks for watching,

Jim and Rosy Addington
M/V Sea Venture
Cruising Sea Venture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 07:24 PM   #26
Guru

City: Port Angeles, WA
Vessel Name: Irene
Jim and Rosy,

Greetings! Re: post 19 - a well-founded explanation of cost for capability. A great contribution.

Best Wishes from Reid Harbor, Stuart Island
Old 02-17-2018, 07:54 PM   #27

City: Excelsior
Vessel Name: Excelsior
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Jim and Rosy,

I really enjoy watching your videos too! My wife and I purchased a Nordic Tug 42 one year ago that was based in Everett. We’re new to boating and I’m learning a ton from your videos!

I really appreciate your hard work and time.

Thanks so much!

Ron
Ron Kas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 07:51 AM   #28
Guru

City: Bay Saint Louis, Mississippi, (or where the anchor drops)
Vessel Model: 1973 42 Bertram MY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubnuh View Post
That was a great link -and great to have the YouTubers join us here on the forum. Another suggestion are the couple at Trying Not To Sink:https://youtu.be/HDIerQxHo6o

And these two are great as well, though they've segued back to sail -a catameran.
https://youtu.be/-3vtC1CYqkM
Two of our favorites as well!

We just subscribed to Sea Venture, too!

I wish we were any good at making videos. Our daughter has tried to teach us, without much success.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:04 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRENE View Post
Jim and Rosy,

Greetings! Re: post 19 - a well-founded explanation of cost for capability. A great contribution.

Best Wishes from Reid Harbor, Stuart Island
Jeff,

Thank you for the kind words. It was really the first time I put my thoughts all down in writing on the subject.

M/V Irene looks fantastic - A Nordhavn with paravanes - it doesn't get any better - in my opinion.

I'm jealous of you being in Reid Harbor - it's a frequent stop over for us.

We will watch for you when on the water.

Jim and Rosy Addington
M/V Sea Venture
youtube/cruisingseaventure
Old 02-22-2018, 10:46 AM   #30
Guru

City: Las Vegas/Portland
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Selene 47
https://youtu.be/AFbMVdNM7Qg

Another great video VLOG,
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 12:25 PM   #31

City: Whitehorse, Yukon
Vessel Name: Yukon Ranger
Vessel Model: Ranger Tugs R-25sc
Thank you Jim and Rosy for posting this very informative and entertaining video series! My wife and I have been "binge-watching" our way through your episodes and can't get enough. Great inspiration as we wait out another long Yukon winter!
Last fall we bought our Ranger Tugs R-25sc and did some lake boating here in Yukon before putting her up for the winter on a trailer here in Whitehorse. We will be putting her in at Skagway, Alaska, for some coastal cruising around the Southeast Alaska coast over the next couple summers. In 2019 we will retire to Vancouver Island which will become home base for cruising the PNW and Southeast Alaska; so we were very excited to watch your log of your trip to Haida Gwaii and the Inside Passage. We enjoy your casual cruising style, and are learning lots from your videos!
We are also enjoying your refit series, and look forward to working our way through your tech talks as well. Lots of good real-world information there as you share what has and hasn't worked for you in your travels. Keep it coming! We are looking forward to following along as you continue your travels.
Ron and Barb,
Whitehorse, Yukon
YukonRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 09:39 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Cruising SE Alaska

Ron and Barb,

Binge watching! My-Oh-My. We do it too when we find something we like on YouTube. Thank you for watching. While doing the videos is just a hobby, we try hard to keep it moving, entertaining, and somewhat informative all at the same time.

Ranger Tugs are great boats. They sure have put a lot of features into a small package.

We are going to be in your neighborhood this coming summer! It would be great to connect up. We have not said much on YouTube regarding our summer 2018 plans, but at this point, I think we will leave in late May from the Seattle area and do a non-stop 5 day offshore run to Sitka. We plan to explore the northern 1/2 of SE Alaska from there, including a couple of trips to Glacier Bay and a trip to Skagway. We have not been to Skagway before and wanted to make sure and get there on this trip. We will probably return to the Seattle area sometime in September. In late 2019 we will head toward Mexico and beyond.

If you would like to stay in touch and see if we can connect up sometime this summer in Alaska, just shoot us an email at cruisingseaventure@gmail.com so we can communicate directly.

Again, thanks for watching our videos, and hopefully we will get a chance to connect up this coming summer.

Jim and Rosy Addington
M/V Sea Venture
YouTube/CruisingSeaVenture
cruisingseaventure@gmail.com
Old 02-25-2018, 04:15 PM   #33

City: Whitehorse, Yukon
Vessel Name: Yukon Ranger
Vessel Model: Ranger Tugs R-25sc
Jim and Rosy:
Great to hear you will be cruising up our way. We would love to connect with you! I'll send you an email with our summer plans so we can keep in touch. Hopefully we can meet up in Skagway or rendezvous in Glacier Bay or something.
YukonRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 07:32 PM   #34

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Raven
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
Jim and Rosy,

My wife Janet and I have really enjoyed your videos.

We're planning our first visit to Princess Louisa this year and your video was a great preview and gave us some ideas about stop over locations, etc.

Keep up the good work and hope to see you when we are out cruising!

Gordon
Gordon GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:14 PM   #35
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
Something an old friend told me once, "Boating is the best time you can buy." Use this the next time somebody ribs you about "boat dollars" and "hole in the water." They don't get it.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:48 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Cruising Princess Louisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon GB View Post
Jim and Rosy,

My wife Janet and I have really enjoyed your videos.

We're planning our first visit to Princess Louisa this year and your video was a great preview and gave us some ideas about stop over locations, etc.

Keep up the good work and hope to see you when we are out cruising!

Gordon
Gordon and Janet,

I'm glad you have enjoyed the videos. Princess Louisa is such a great destination, if for no other reason, then it's just so different then other destinations in the area. When we were there we were able to squeeze in at the dock. If the dock is full, you can anchor in front of the falls and either stay there or wait until another round of boats cycle through and then move to the dock.

Have a great trip and hopefully we will cross paths this summer!

Jim and Rosy
M/V Sea Venture
YouTube/CruisingSeaVenture
Old 03-17-2018, 01:44 PM   #37
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
I finally had time to watch the Sea Venture refit series thanks to some early morning insomnia. Not sure it is just my connection but near the end of the Episode 19, I got a YouTube error and since then, none of the Sea Venture videos were showing for me. So disappointing.

Anyway, it will start to work shortly Iím sure but I have really been enjoying watching the refit series. Thanks.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 09:41 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I finally had time to watch the Sea Venture refit series thanks to some early morning insomnia. Not sure it is just my connection but near the end of the Episode 19, I got a YouTube error and since then, none of the Sea Venture videos were showing for me. So disappointing.

Anyway, it will start to work shortly Iím sure but I have really been enjoying watching the refit series. Thanks.

I hope your connection came back to life!

We are glad you are enjoying the videos. We are having a lot of fun making them.

If you have been able to watch the 7th video in the refit series then you have seen the new superstructure and paravane system currently being built in Port Townsend.

It's getting close - Sea Venture returns to Port Townsend on the 1st of April for installation of the new superstructure, paravane system and custom 3,500 lb crane. By the 10th of April we should be ready for sea trials and if all goes well, that phase of the project will be done by the 15th. After that it will we our job to install the 8 antenna's, 4 lights and 2 radars on the new superstructure. We will start this work in Port Townsend and complete it in Everett.

Around the 1st of June we plan to run from Everett to Sitka, Alaska non-stop. It's a 5 day offshore run. We will spend the summer in the Glacier Bay, Skagway, Sitka area until sometime in late August or September.

In 2019 we will head to Mexico and beyond.

We will continue our hobby of creating and posting YouTube videos of our cruising.

We have also really enjoyed some trips to the south Puget Sound including Gig Harbor. Maybe we will have a chance to cross paths this summer. Hope to see you on the water. Do you have plans for this summer?

Jim and Rosy Addington
M/V Sea Venture
https://www.youtube.com/cruisingseaventure
Old 03-18-2018, 10:05 AM   #39
DLP
Veteran Member

City: Baton Rouge
Vessel Name: Someday's Here
Vessel Model: 1987 Jefferson 42
Kim and I enjoy your vids also and your journeys. Thanks for putting in the time and hard work making the videos and letting us share and enjoy your travels. We get something from them everytime we watch.

Stop The Madness Start The Adventure
DLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 11:08 AM   #40
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:

We will continue our hobby of creating and posting YouTube videos of our cruising.

We have also really enjoyed some trips to the south Puget Sound including Gig Harbor. Maybe we will have a chance to cross paths this summer. Hope to see you on the water. Do you have plans for this summer?

Jim and Rosy Addington

M/V Sea Venture

Yes, I got it back up and running and coincidentally, am watching the end of your spare starts vid as I read your post.

Iím looking forward to seeing how the paravane installation goes and appreciate the time you are taking to make the vids.

Unfortunately, I still have to work for another decade so long trips are hard to manage. I think we may be able to grab a couple weeks in September and we arenít sure what we will do. Iíd like to head to the Sunshine Coast but I think my wife is hoping to do the San Juan and Gulf islands and hope that our kids can join us for part of the time.

But please, if you know you will be heading to the South Sound on a weekend some time, let me know.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote