Old 05-30-2015, 09:38 PM   #21
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
We have great affection for Sydney Harbor, but enjoyed New York too. Last time we took 7 day cruise from/returning to New York, very interesting. We`d already done the long Circle Line tour trip, and enjoyed it immensely. There is so much to see, so much history, and someone else was doing the hard work getting us around.
Previously we have arrived in NYC by train from Boston, now there`s a great view from on high.
I was disappointed in Sydney Harbor after seeing the photos and looking forward to it.....until

Until I was on a tour boat of some sort (I think went to the zoo or something) and approaching it from the water. Then it was everything I imagined plus some.

The photographs you see of the Opera House are generally from the water and that's when it just appears so incredible and uniquely special. My wife hasn't had the pleasure of seeing it, but one day we'll make it there together.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 11:50 PM   #22
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: You can fly in or drive in or use telepathy to get there but there's nothing like going into a city by water. NYC is just amazing to approach. You don't get the impact flying in where everything looks like miniatures. Statue of Liberty was meant to be seen from the water. The Golden Gate Bridge is meant to be seen from water and passed under. The Bahamas. You don't experience them from land. Panama Canal has to be passed through. Yes, since San Diego was slipped in, it is beautiful from the water. Maybe it's that we don't see the flaws of cities approaching from water. Life is meant to be experienced from the water...
Well put WB - "In the beginning..."

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 12:18 AM   #23

City: Hobart
Vessel Name: Theresa
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 66 LRMY
BandB,here a couple of shots from Taronga Zoo of Sydney Harbour.
This is what happens when you say "Free beer" too loud in Australia.
I'm in the middle somewhere.
(I like beer)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0435.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	40615   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0434.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	40616  
stornoway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 12:22 AM   #24
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by stornoway7 View Post
BandB,here a couple of shots from Taronga Zoo of Sydney Harbour.
This is what happens when you say "Free beer" too loud in Australia.
I'm in the middle somewhere.
(I like beer)
That's where I went. The Package Ferry/Zoo deal which I found quite unique, but I love zoos and then the views from the ferry were incredible. I didn't see quite that many boats. Perhaps weekday and late November to early December saved me.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 05:05 AM   #25
Guru

I`d guess Craig/Storoway7`s pic of Athol Bight, adjacent to the Taronga Zoo, was taken the afternoon of an NYE. No lack of beer, wine, champagne on boats that night!
For anyone visiting Sydney I recommend the regular 7 mile ferry service from the ferry terminal at Circular Quay in the CBD, to Manly. Manly has both a harbor beach and an easily a surf beach, plus plenty of cafes and restaurants.The ferry ride gives a great view of much of the main harbor, and crosses the Sydney Heads, which are open to the Pacific Ocean. Apart from the "fast ferries" also servicing the route, the traditional large ferries are seaworthy and designed after earlier ferries, many of which were built in the UK and made the long voyage to Australia 'on their own bottom".
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 10:41 AM   #26
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Egad...too many people!

Spent yesterday on the water and saw maybe 10 boats all day long. Here's looking at our home port (Kitamaat Village and MK Bay Marina side, not the aluminum smelter side);
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kitamaat:Kitimat.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	40622