Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2020, 11:33 AM   #1
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Great Harbour new N44 “concept”

Looks like Ken Fickett is designing another boat by himself, on a cocktail napkin. [emoji849]

No mention of involving a naval architect.

https://mailchi.mp/a68fbd9e61dd/new-...s?e=fb3fc71115
Old 01-09-2020, 12:39 PM   #2
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Order today and you might get it in 2025.
As usual, the devil is in the details...or lack of them.
Old 01-09-2020, 12:40 PM   #3
Guru

City: Boston Area
After all the troubles they had getting the TT35 to market, you'd have to be insane to order a boat from them.
Old 01-09-2020, 01:50 PM   #4
Guru

City: .
Vessel Name: GOTCHA
Vessel Model: Hatteras 58 LRC
If you do order one. Don't plan on ever receiving delivery, or getting you money back.
Old 01-09-2020, 06:51 PM   #5
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
What a great read! No not the new Fickett design. The story below it titled "Wanted on the Water" Thanks Dude.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:48 PM   #6

City: Palo Alto
Vessel Name: Ann-Elyse II
Vessel Model: North Pacific 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
After all the troubles they had getting the TT35 to market, you'd have to be insane to order a boat from them.
Wow - good to know. I've been researching blue-water trawlers and the Great Harbor GH47 piqued my interest. Then I found a post from Great Harbor stating that the GH series is no longer being made. That they were going to concentrate on just making the TT35. This strategy seemed a bit strange to me. After reading the above posts is sounds like the company is a bit sketchy.

Their claim that their boat will recover from a 110 degree roll is hard to believe especially with the flat bottom hull and no ballast.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:52 PM   #7
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
What a great read! No not the new Fickett design. The story below it titled "Wanted on the Water" Thanks Dude.

Holy sh&t! I missed that! What a crazy story!
Old 03-03-2020, 10:46 AM   #8

City: Green Cove Springs
There's a long list of great boats not designed by naval architects, including all those by the legendary Charly Morgan and equally esteemed Sam Devlin. Meanwhile, there have been some truly atrocious boats, which were designed by degreed naval architects. In fact, a hell of a lot of them. The fact of the matter is this: Once a boat is built and in the water, it can be judged by its own merits and matters of pedigree recede in importance.
Old 03-03-2020, 11:08 AM   #9
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Delrio View Post
There's a long list of great boats not designed by naval architects, including all those by the legendary Charly Morgan and equally esteemed Sam Devlin. Meanwhile, there have been some truly atrocious boats, which were designed by degreed naval architects. In fact, a hell of a lot of them. The fact of the matter is this: Once a boat is built and in the water, it can be judged by its own merits and matters of pedigree recede in importance.
None of which has any relevance to this thread. If one chooses to speculate on a boat from Fickett, they're likely in for disaster based on history.

As to all the atrocious boats designed by naval architects, most of the ones I'm familiar with are quite good. I know many naval architects for whom I have tremendous respect. As this is your only post ever on TF in 8 years of being a member, you come across very much as a Fickett troll, if not a Fickett yourself.
Old 03-03-2020, 11:21 AM   #10

Yes, you guru, me troll. Wasn't even defending this brand specifically just pointing out a couple facts, which are borne out by decades of maritime litigation. You seem angry. Actually this forum has become somewhat superceded by the various relevant Facebook Groups, hence my absence. This thread came up in a search and I just thought I'd make a small point, but if this is the way you welcome back a member after being gone for a while, I think I'll stick to more collegial forums. See ya.
Old 03-03-2020, 11:32 AM   #11
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Delrio View Post
Meanwhile, there have been some truly atrocious boats, which were designed by degreed naval architects. In fact, a hell of a lot of them.
Examples? Please.
Old 03-03-2020, 11:43 AM   #12
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
It seem as though people are confusing boat designers/naval architects, which are the same thing, and naval engineers. There is a difference between a naval architect and a naval or maritime engineer. One requires no degree and the other does. A naval architect is simply a boat designer with a fancy name who might have gone to school. A naval engineer is a person who has a degree from an engineering college that specializes in maritime subjects.

For instance Westlawn is a naval architecture school, not a college. They are accredited by the Royal Institute of Naval Architects in the UK and can grant a certificate of completion, but not a degree. Whereas the Maine Maritime Academy’s naval engineering program is affiliated with the New England Association of Schools and Colleges and can grant an undergraduate degree.

Graduates of both can design good boats and both have done so. But anyone can hang a shingle calling themselves a naval architect with no training or experience to speak of: it is not required to have completed a naval architect program to call one’s self a naval architect. Not so with a naval engineer.
Old 03-03-2020, 11:59 AM   #13

Yes I'm sure it's an exception but here's one example:

https://www.passagemaker.com/trawler...ing-fast-boats
Old 03-03-2020, 12:36 PM   #14
Scraping Paint

City: Lake Stevens, WA via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Vessel Model: C-Dory 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post

Quote:
“The Monroe County Sheriff's Office and Key West Police Department conduct periodic sweeps for individuals with outstanding warrants. Additionally, the capias will be entered into a nation-wide alert system, and if he has an encounter with law enforcement that results in a warrant check, he is likely to be arrested.”

I highly doubt any warrant for this charge will be extraditable nation-wide, which means he won't get arrested in any state other then FL. I doubt the warrant will even show up in NCIC. Those types of inter-state warrants are for higher value targets, like killers, rapists, kidnappers etc.

Sorry for the thread hijack.
Old 03-03-2020, 02:38 PM   #15

Update on the original

https://www.greatharbourtrawlers.com...in-mexico.html
Old 03-03-2020, 02:55 PM   #16

City: Manteo, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post

Graduates of both can design good boats and both have done so. But anyone can hang a shingle calling themselves a naval architect with no training or experience to speak of: it is not required to have completed a naval architect program to call one’s self a naval architect. Not so with a naval engineer.

Not so, at least not in most states in the US.

Most states consider "naval architecture" to be a field of engineering and one who "hangs his shingle" as a naval architect needs to be a licensed professional engineer. The usual path to obtaining a professional engineer's license requires graduation from an accredited college with an appropriate degree, 5 years of relevant experience and passing of 2 exams. Not everyone in an office needs to be so licensed, but at least one person must, and he is "in responsible charge" of the work that comes out of the office.

Use of the term "boat designer" or "yacht designer" is not regulated and there are no legally mandated competency or experience requirements.

Think of it in terms of a land based work. An architect must be licensed, a house designer does not.

The differentiation is less clear cut in our field, as there is a blurry line to what must be done be a naval architect and what can be done by a yacht designer. This line is usually drawn by regulatory agencies - USCG or ABS for example - or the requirements of a specific contract. A individual looking for a boat design can do business with whoever best meets his needs.

But the takeaway is this - if an individual or company is representing themselves to the public as "naval architects" then there is a licensed professional engineer on staff. A company representing themselves as "boat or yacht designers" most likely do not have a licensed engineer on staff. As was pointed out, this is not a reflection on the competency of the work.

Lou
Old 03-03-2020, 03:00 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouCodega View Post

But the takeaway is this - if an individual or company is representing themselves to the public as "naval architects" then there is a licensed professional engineer on staff. A company representing themselves as "boat or yacht designers" most likely do not have a licensed engineer on staff. As was pointed out, this is not a reflection on the competency of the work.

Lou
That was the point that I was trying to make, when I was so rudely confronted.
Old 03-03-2020, 03:08 PM   #18
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouCodega View Post
Not so, at least not in most states in the US.

Most states consider "naval architecture" to be a field of engineering and one who "hangs his shingle" as a naval architect needs to be a licensed professional engineer. The usual path to obtaining a professional engineer's license requires graduation from an accredited college with an appropriate degree, 5 years of relevant experience and passing of 2 exams. Not everyone in an office needs to be so licensed, but at least one person must, and he is "in responsible charge" of the work that comes out of the office.

Use of the term "boat designer" or "yacht designer" is not regulated and there are no legally mandated competency or experience requirements.

Think of it in terms of a land based work. An architect must be licensed, a house designer does not.

The differentiation is less clear cut in our field, as there is a blurry line to what must be done be a naval architect and what can be done by a yacht designer. This line is usually drawn by regulatory agencies - USCG or ABS for example - or the requirements of a specific contract. A individual looking for a boat design can do business with whoever best meets his needs.

Lou
Thank you, I stand corrected.
Old 03-03-2020, 05:57 PM   #19
Guru

City: Hernando Beach
Vessel Model: Seaway
Mr. P.D.:

In defense of Mr. B&B, I thought you might be a troll, too. GH has a recent history of trolling me on this forum after I had politely called them out in a thread about our present boat. Fortunately, for my original GH call-out thread, I took lots of pictures and was able to document our GH misadventure factually.

If you can find the time to read my lengthy thread here, you may discover why some of the long-time contributors on this forum are wary of GH.
https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...1-a-43015.html

I was also warned by a beloved member of this forum that he received a PM (Private Message) that was rather nasty and threatening, from the owner of GH when this particular member contributed to the above thread.

And also, if you read the above thread, you will understand why even though we own a GH vessel, we will not acknowledge this in my signature over there to the left.

But wait, there's more! There are a series of posts, originated by our own GH historian Richard living aboard Island Bound, regarding GH's bizarre repackaging of a 2009 boat as a 2014 boat and then selling said used boat as a new 2014 boat.

See posts #8, 10, 11, and 12 on this thread:
https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...ory-30246.html

In private conversation, Island Bound will tell you stories about his own ordeal with GH that will make your hair stand on end. You should send him a PM if you are interested in learning more. It's a crazy story, and the hoops Richard found to jump through were brilliant.

GH had extraordinary success with their trawlers designed by naval architect Lou Codega - these are boats much beloved by their owners - but then when GH's relationship with Lou ended, in my opinion GH went off the rails. I cannot say more than that here because I have been warned by our attorney to be very cautious in that regard.

Mr. P.D., if you can overcome your shock at being momentarily suspected of being a troll, you will find that Mr. B&B is a generous fellow, and a very experienced salty dog with extraordinary knowledge. Once you establish your bonafides here, you will find yourself warmly accepted.

Plus, we all get dinged occasionally here - it's the internet!

Cheers,
Mrs. Trombley
Old 03-04-2020, 04:34 PM   #20
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
I guess maybe I'm setting myself up as a target on here by saying this, but I had a very different experience with Ken Fickett than the horrible one that others on this forum have had, albeit mine was on a smaller scale.

I met Ken in 2003 or 2004 at the Miami boat show where I was set up as a vendor. I was looking for our first trawler, pretty much broke, and pretty much clueless when it came to anything other than outboard powered fishing boats. Even though it was clear that I couldn't come anywhere close to affording one of his boats he spent a lot of time with me and graciously gave me lots of good advice. He told me to call him with any questions I had and gave me his cell number. I called him six or seven times before we bought a boat. He always answered and always helped me.

We bought a boat in April of 2005. In July of '05 it was hit very hard by hurricane Dennis. I decided to do the refit myself, and again, Ken was a big help. He even got me some materials through his yard at his cost.

I found him to be a good guy. Almost everyone has a good side, I guess. I never bought a boat from him though, maybe that would have changed my opinion.

Pedro, I have found almost everyone on this forum to be great. That said, I have used the ignore feature a couple of times though. It is a useful tool that can add to your enjoyment of the forum when used correctly.
Closed Thread