Old 11-01-2013, 09:20 AM   #141
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
OK, maybe you're right about the Florida Bay Coasters also being similar. Both are space giants, as are the Endeavours by-the-way. If you haven't been aboard a Manatee 36', get ready to smile. If my Admiral didn't have such a shoe collection, I'd be in a sleeker design.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:46 AM   #142
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Here's a short little video of a GH37 in supposedly 4-5 seas.

How does the GH37's movement compare to everyone's more traditionally keel-type trawler in the same environment?

Tapestry underway - YouTube
4-5? I wonder where and how much is swell as there are very few whitecaps that I would expect in 4-5 in protected waters.

Secondly..the video starts out with the seas on the nose pretty much...again without knowing the speed...can't make a comparison.

Then they focus on the inclinometer and I can't really see if they are changing course to make the rolls larger...they appear to get larger as the beginning seems to show little roll....

All in all...the video doesn't tell me much enough to make a call on performance.

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:38 PM   #143
Guru

City: somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
OK, maybe you're right about the Florida Bay Coasters also being similar. Both are space giants, as are the Endeavours by-the-way. If you haven't been aboard a Manatee 36', get ready to smile. If my Admiral didn't have such a shoe collection, I'd be in a sleeker design.
I want the most living space with the shortest length. Cheaper for dockage, etc.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:08 PM   #144
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum29 View Post
I want the most living space with the shortest length. Cheaper for dockage, etc.
Buy a houseboat.
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:11 PM   #145
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post

Buy a houseboat.
I don't live on a lake.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:43 PM   #146
Guru

City: St Augustine, FL
Vessel Name: RunningTide
Vessel Model: 37 Louisiane catamaran
Quote:
Don't dock it all the time, learn how to live on the hook. Much more rewarding

Perhaps you should read this paperback book
Seven Miles an Hour: Retiring on a Trawler, With Cats: Don Wallace: 9780972750165: Amazon.com: Books

Seven Miles an Hour
brian eiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:09 PM   #147
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian eiland View Post
Don't dock it all the time, learn how to live on the hook. Much more rewarding

Perhaps you should read this paperback book
Seven Miles an Hour: Retiring on a Trawler, With Cats: Don Wallace: 9780972750165: Amazon.com: Books

Seven Miles an Hour
Thanks. I think I will.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:51 PM   #148

Remember that the GH trawlers all have twins and they are spaced about 8 ft apart. With differential throttle you have quite a bit of control. The mistake many people make handling twins is that they fail to include rudder to assist in controlling the boat. It is pretty much essential in heavy (20+kts) wind to use the rudders and differential power to put the boat where you want it. Unlike a sportfish boat that might have 60 or 70 horse at the prop as soon as it is in gear an N37 has 54hp (per prop) at wide open throttle! So Use plenty of power and rudders and the boat will go where you want in docking conditions. As is the case with any boat at some wind speed you decide to not attempt to dock and do something else until conditions allow.

I doubt that any other boat has as high a percentage of owners as full time live aboards as Great Harbours. There are reasons for it.

In regards to the plywood idea it could certainly be done but it would not be my recommendation. I would be more for flat sheets of glass laid up on a "Formica" table and bent into shape and bonded together. We have built several boats with that technique and two that went around the world, very tough, very cheap. Additionally when I hear folks talk about steel being "so much stronger" you must know what the comparison is, such as type of steel, thickness of steel, type of laminate and the thickness of the laminate. Today there are laminates that are stronger than steel at the same thickness and still much lighter than steel.
Great Harbour Trawlers
Rockbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:04 PM   #149
Guru

I understand your point and that's something I would have to adjust to. Now I just have to blip the throttle on one of the 310's to get the required movement or sit and wait for it to happen.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:38 PM   #150

City: St Louis
Great Harbour question for those who have seen them both in person: how does the pilothouse/salon and engine room compare in size between the N37 and the N47? Obviously the below deck space/layout forward varies quite a bit with the extra ten feet of LOA, just wasn't sure if there were any dimensional/layout differences from the windshield wipers aft.
Animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:39 PM   #151
Guru

While viewing them all in Green Cove Springs, I took a video of them and recall that there didn't seem to be a difference in the pilothouse or engine room in the 37 vs. 47 (and didn't need to be). Of course, both have the same nearly 16 ft. beam. Thanks for reminding me of that, cuz I really do need to go back and see the videos again, if I can find them.

One thing I have to add, though. I wasn't knowledgeable enough about cruising that I really understood the significance of what Eric Kraft was pointing out in the various storage areas of the boat, especially under the sole....with pull out hatch access fwd., aft, and amidships. He opened a big, gas assisted floor hatch in the pilothouse to reveal a stairway down into what they call the "bosuns locker". This was a full beam space, maybe 5 ft. or so long if I recall, but nearly 16 ft. wide and close to 6 ft. in height I think. Cubic wise, this is probably more storage space than I have on my entire boat, which by-the-way, has huge storage. A full size stack type washer and dryer could go on one side easily. A deep freezer and shelving on the other. Heck, it would probably hold my Admiral's shoe collection. This is truly one of the great assets of that series, and is also one of the reasons why I'd probably choose the N over the GH. I didn't check for it, but I suppose since the GH has a half-height engine room of the same size as the N, the GH may also have a storage locker of similar size, but again, half height.

Whatever you think of this fat, bulky style of boat (like mine), it has its assets.

Old 11-10-2013, 04:51 PM   #152
Guru

Quote:
While viewing them all in Green Cove Springs, I took a video of them and recall that there didn't seem to be a difference in the pilothouse or engine room in the 37 vs. 47 (and didn't need to be). Of course, both have the same nearly 16 ft. beam. Thanks for reminding me of that, cuz I really do need to go back and see the videos again, if I can find them.
Can you post them if you do?
Old 11-10-2013, 07:47 PM   #153
Guru

Quote:
Can you post them if you do?
I've recently moved to our new home on the Gulf side of FL, and the videos are on my old desktop computer, still packed. When we finally get to it, I'd be happy to send you copy, but in the meantime, you're so close to Green Cove Springs, why don't you call them and drop over. Since the charter boats are moored there for the winter rentals, you could get a fresh look.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:01 PM   #154
Guru

Quote:

I've recently moved to our new home on the Gulf side of FL, and the videos are on my old desktop computer, still packed. When we finally get to it, I'd be happy to send you copy, but in the meantime, you're so close to Green Cove Springs, why don't you call them and drop over. Since the charter boats are moored there for the winter rentals, you could get a fresh look.
I should but I keep putting it off.

:'(
Old 11-10-2013, 08:49 PM   #155

Quote:
. One thing I have to add, though. I wasn't knowledgeable enough about cruising that I really understood the significance of what Eric Kraft was pointing out in the various storage areas of the boat, especially under the sole....with pull out hatch access fwd., aft, and amidships. He opened a big, gas assisted floor hatch in the pilothouse to reveal a stairway down into what they call the "bosuns locker". This was a full beam space, maybe 5 ft. or so long if I recall, but nearly 16 ft. wide and close to 6 ft. in height I think. Cubic wise, this is probably more storage space than I have on my entire boat, which by-the-way, has huge storage. A full size stack type washer and dryer could go on one side easily. A deep freezer and shelving on the other. Heck, it would probably hold my Admiral's shoe collection. This is truly one of the great assets of that series, and is also one of the reasons why I'd probably choose the N over the GH. s.
Great addition, HH! I think I saw a picture of the space you are referring to on a YW listing (there was a clothes washer in there) but based on the photo I never would have guessed it was as big as you described. So this space is aft of the engine room and accessible only from inside the pilot house? I have not seen a picture of a similar space on a GH.

I agree the N series has a lot of advantages. Having a w/d in the bosun's locker isn't as handy as having it in the main living space, but it might be worth having a real kitchen and bathroom in a 37' boat!
Old 11-10-2013, 09:13 PM   #156
Guru

Personally I think the GH37 is the more desired model over the two.

But then, I haven't been on either one...

Old 11-10-2013, 09:49 PM   #157

Quote:
Personally I think the GH37 is the more desired model over the two. But then, I haven't been on either one...
Me either BB. I need to convince the admiral to charter one as an into to the trawler lifestyle!

I'm a huge Diesel Duck fan for serious long haul passagemakers, but either the N or GH seem to be winner of the coastal cruiser cup in my book. I can see advantages to both the Ns and the GHs for that line of work.

For a solo liveaboard, I'd take an N. For warmer climates, I'd take an N with a FB. For a couple who needs more space, a GH. For colder temps, a GH would be the choice. For hanging in gusty anchorages, an N. Could go on and on.

Either way, it's a lot of boat in 37', and it isn't over powered like most of its competition (the thought of feeding 600hp worth of cats makes me cringe regardless of my income level).

Some day.....
Old 11-10-2013, 09:57 PM   #158
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal View Post
Having a w/d in the bosun's locker isn't as handy as having it in the main living space, but it might be worth having a real kitchen and bathroom in a 37' boat!
Well, if you don't like it in the bosun's locker, I think there is room for it in the engine room too, but I doubt you could get most Admirals to go in and out the engine room for laundry, especially while underway. In an N-37, if you don't need the spare stateroom, I guess you could make it a laundry/utility space. The one I was aboard had a nicely-placed Splendide Combo W/D unit mounted in the Galley companionway, which took cupboard space from the Galley, not that you didn't have enough already.

The interior is very pleasant, but doesn't have the richness that strikes you in a teak paneled boat. Perhaps this is for more than one reason. First, a dark teak finish might make the area below "dungeon-like". Second, it saves building costs. The full size appliances must be a dream to the Admiral wanting to live at the dock.....they're huge. Frankly, while I understand the practical thinking behind it, such appliances are way too ostentatious for my cruising plan (just my preference), especially at anchor. If my Admiral didn't see them first, I'd change them out for units that draw a lot less juice, and there's plenty of space for solar around the boat. I'm sure most of us could figure out what to do with the extra space.

The N-series is less windy (even Ken Fickett testifies to that), and if there is a sacrifice, it would be that the Pilothouse is also the salon. With the ample seating, and better, higher view of the water than the dedicated GH salon, I'm not sure if that is a sacrifice or not. Of course, in bad weather there would be more movement. The seating includes a good sized couch and a large L-shaped settee that seats more than most dedicated salons at 37'. In fairness, I should add that the GH does have the dedicated salon, but in addition, it has a similar pilothouse arrangement with a large settee and helm seating. Their both space monsters if that's what you're looking for.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:26 PM   #159
Veteran Member

City: New. Bern
Vessel Name: Carolyn Ann
Vessel Model: Great Harbour N-37
Bosun Locker

Having been a full time live aboard with 4200 hours under the
Keel I've formulated an opinion on what modifications I would make
To our boat given money and magic wand. First. To clear up the difference
Between an N-37. vice N-47 with regard to bosun lockers and engine rooms.
Simple add approx. 1' to the height of those in a 47. That's the difference.
For modifications in the N-37 I'd make the small second stateroom
A dedicated utility room installing compact washer and dryer and locating the
Inverter chargers in there as well. Approximately an extra foot could
be added to the head to make it very roomy. I'd rather have propane
For the cooktop but Mirage refuses to install propane as have many of the builders. The large(23cuft side by side) household fridge freezer frozen is surprisingly efficient given it' s size and great ice maker and offers incredible food storage for extended cruising
The inverters/battery bank handle it well and it can be fixed anywhere a sears repair tech is. I've been looking hard at solar
But need $ to do it. 4 265 watt panels would
compensate for the fridge draw and permit days on the hook without running the gen-set. As far as handling is concerned. This boat can be moved sideways to port or starboard by use of rudders and splitting
plants e .g . To move to starboard turn wheel to port,
Put port engine forward , starboard in reverse and with appropriate power the boat will move sideways to starboard.
Hopefully this clears up some issues .

Joe
Joe Pica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:13 AM   #160

Great Harbour Differences

To start the hull on the GH and N 37s are exactly the same as well as the two 47 are exactly the same. Additionally the difference between a 37 and 47 hull is a strategically placed 10ft stretch in the middle of the hull. This is something that was calculated very early on in the design process of the boats and as a result the 47 ft hulls are probably a little more efficient for the load than the 37s.

There is a huge difference in space between the GH and N models for living space but the N may edge out the GH for storage. The reason that the N47 is one foot taller in the engine room and bos'ns locker is that since it has the same deck house in the same place as the 37 there is 10ft more deck in front of the helmsman and we felt that we needed better visability so we raised it one foot.

The N47 has a standard residential stack washer/dryer built in the master stateroom. The bos'ns locker on my own N47 has a full Captain's Cabin built into it with a separate hatch for access to the outside. It also has a head and shower in that same cabin. Cozy but nice with a larger than queen mattress.

The galley, deckhouse and engine room are identical on both the N37 and N47 with the exception of the additional one foot height in the N47 engine room.

Mirage has made the decision to not produce the GH 37 or 47 at this point and focus on the N models. In real terms whenever we made money on an N model we lost it on a GH. The GH models are considerably more difficult to produce and much more costly. It is difficult to compete in a market where the vast majority of our competition is from Chinese made boats. Such is the boat builders world. That having been said I would expect that the GH47 is possibly my favorite boat among all the trawlers we build for it's all around capabilities.

One last point about the interiors of our Trawlers. The look of the interior was designed to emulate Hereshoff's traditional look of painted pine "V groove" with mahogany accents. Not only is this interior extremely durable but it is easy to maintain. All of the scuffs and scrapes, gouges and dings that make wood panel look like crap after a few years can be repaired completely with this fiberglass wall paneling that is unitized with very rugged bulkheads. In the competitive world we live in it made sense to me to provide an attractive but utilitarian interior and then go all out on the things that do make a difference to an owner like unsurpassed structure and high value systems. When it comes right down to it as a customer you are trying to figure out which builder made the best use of your money when he built your boat.

Great Harbour Trawlers
Rockbottom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
great harbor trawlers, n37