Old 10-30-2013, 08:08 PM   #121
Veteran Member

City: New. Bern
Vessel Name: Carolyn Ann
Vessel Model: Great Harbour N-37
Umm, Honestly I've never cruised a GH-37 but know many that do so extensively with great success. Windage is always a issue to be dealt with but I've dealt with 20 knot winds on many occasions in our N without damage . As always, resourceful skills can accommodate many conditions but there are limits. There are limits with all boats.

Joe Pica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:55 PM   #122
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post

Are you considering a GH37 or an N37?

Have been ever since Eric Craft gave me a tour of all the models in Green Cove Springs, FL about four years ago. When I arrived to view all the models I thought the GH would be my preference, but I was surprised by the N. Yes, the engine room is incredible and I've been dreaming about that ever since. The GH is the same engine room in floor space, but half height. The GH is the space king, but the configuration of the N with its pilothouse, flybridge, features of its engine room, huge bosuns locker for storage, lower CG and wind profile are more attractive to us, not to say that I wouldn't do a GH series. As you can see by the profile of my own boat, I would. If not for the price, I'd probably have one now.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:13 PM   #123
Veteran Member

This doesn't mean much but I know of at least 5 former owners of Krogens that then owned Great Harbours. But again that is not necessarily an endorsement.
'Fowever 39" moved up in space and length and the boat was a bargain price.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:30 PM   #124
Guru

City: somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Pica View Post
This doesn't mean much but I know of at least 5 former owners of Krogens that then owned Great Harbours. But again that is not necessarily an endorsement.
'Fowever 39" moved up in space and length and the boat was a bargain price.
Is this a Great Harbor?
Old 10-30-2013, 09:31 PM   #125

City: Heading south for Ft. Myers
Vessel Name: Seven Tenths
Vessel Model: Mirage / Great Harbour 47
Hello,
I have cruised on a GH37, which influenced my purchase of a GH47. We were shopping for a GH37 when our boat came on the market and we both said "yes". I would buy any of the Great Harbour trawlers again, although I do prefer the GH form due to the pilot house.
When we brought our boat up from Florida to the Chesapeake, we were on a schedule (not a good thing). We were moving the boat in January for a week, a week at the end of February and the final week at the end of March. We moved up Alligator river in 30+ mph winds that threatened to close the bridge opening at 35mph. We docked at Alligator River Marina (not fun but not a panic). When we moved up to Charleston, we got caught in some nasty weather and the radio was warning of tornados when near Paris Island. We had to change plans and slide into Port Royal Marina.
The GH model certainly has windage to deal with. A lot of the docking questions depend on the marina or dock. Our marina in Baltimore is very large, with narrow fairways. Winds from the west make docking difficult. We know we have two options - a) drive into the slip instead of our normal stern in b) dock to outside face docks until the wind drops.
I would not want to dock too many other trawlers in our current marina for the same reasons.

Henry
HenryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:35 PM   #126
Guru

I want one. I can stick the stern in winds and move forward with a component dock hand in most winds.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:40 PM   #127
Veteran Member

"Forever 39" a very nice Krogen moved up to a Great Harbour N-47 which was a substantial increase in size etc. at an excellent price.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:41 PM   #128
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Pica View Post
"Forever 39" a very nice Krogen moved up to a Great Harbour N-47 which was a substantial increase in size etc. at an excellent price.
Thanks
Old 10-30-2013, 09:55 PM   #129
Guru

City: St Augustine, FL
Vessel Name: RunningTide
Vessel Model: 37 Louisiane catamaran
Here are a few decent photos of a N37 I took down in Green Cove Springs a few years ago, ...inside and outside
New to Yachting; 13 Million to spend - - Page 6 - YachtForums.Com
brian eiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:22 AM   #130

I probably have something well over 25,000 miles in Great Harbour Trawlers of all type but mostly the "N" series. There is not much question about the fact that the GHs have more windage and it does show when you are driving the boat. I never thought it was a big deal but it has occasionally caught my attention. Unlike most sane folks that cruise I normally move boats because I have to for boat shows and such so I go regardless of the weather. I remember one particular instance in Tampa Bay going to the St Pete boat show and it was howling. Winds were steady at 50 and gusting to 70 MPH. There was not much to do other than continue on, it was not like I really wanted to anchor in that either. One particular gust caught the boat and simply blew the boat completely off course and downwind. Downwind was completely controllable but not the direction I needed to go so I turned back on course and again was hammered by a huge gust and spun. Because I was in good water with nothing around it was not a problem but I was interested in the response of the boat. All boats will do the same thing at some wind speed and now I new what it took on the GH 37. The solution was to increase the RPMs to about max and I had no more problems until the squall passed in about ten minutes or so. I found that mostly it just took some focus to keep the wind on the nose and things were fine. No big deal but an eye opener. I have been in similar wind speeds in the N series and never felt like there was any issue at all. I am an aircraft pilot also and I preach quite often to beginners in planes that you need to do what it takes to put the airplane on the center line when landing, crab, slip, more power, whatever you need. If you can't put it there doing everything you can it is time to think about a different runway! By the way, thanks for all the civility here it has been a breath of fresh air and if somebody sees something that I might weigh in on and have not please shoot me an email and I will give my two cents for what its worth.
Great Harbour Trawlers
Rockbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:45 AM   #131
Guru

Ken: Your handling assessment sounds grounded and realistic. For most of us, I'd hope that a situation like you had in Tampa Bay would be the exception. But something common for us would be when the same principals are played-out in the confines of a narrow marina fairway, where forward inertia is almost non-existent and one is surrounded by other people's property. Can you extrapolate?

Old 10-31-2013, 11:53 AM   #132
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Sometimes I think of these GH boats as catamarans w/o the huge tunnel down the middle of the bottom.

Kinda like a Livingston dinghy w/o the tunnel.

Has anyone ever considered building a plywood GH? Plywood being very stiff in flat panels would seem an ideal material for this design. The bow would need to be multi-layered w the grain along the WL forming a sort of a cone and done w odd number of plies for bending. Being so much lighter than steel it would need to have really heavy scantlings or lots of weight aboard.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:58 AM   #133
Guru

If it can handle those winds like that then I can assume that it can easily handle any conditions that we would encounter.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:37 PM   #134
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum29 View Post
If it can handle those winds like that then I can assume that it can easily handle any conditions that we would encounter.
For crying out loud, Beach! Go ahead and buy one...you have the money! We're all interested in your pics and opinion of the boat after you buy one!

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:39 PM   #135
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse II View Post
For crying out loud, Beach! Go ahead and buy one...you have the money! We're all interested in your pics and opinion of the boat after you buy one!
I haven't even had the time to go see one yet.

:'(
Old 10-31-2013, 01:42 PM   #136
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Here's a short little video of a GH37 in supposedly 4-5 seas.

How does the GH37's movement compare to everyone's more traditionally keel-type trawler in the same environment?

Tapestry underway - YouTube
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:02 PM   #137
Guru

A little hard to track, but did I see 20 degrees port and stbd? Very interesting. Thanks for that post, Cardude.

I'm with you, Walt. Beach has the wherewithal to get out there and reveal the facts about his new Great Harbour.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:54 PM   #138
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
A little hard to track, but did I see 20 degrees port and stbd? Very interesting. Thanks for that post, Cardude.

I'm with you, Walt. Beach has the wherewithal to get out there and reveal the facts about his new Great Harbour.
It certainly won't be a new one. Either a Great Harbour or something similar is in our 5 yr plan.

We have to see if we can handle living aboard before we move up.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:08 PM   #139
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum29 View Post
It certainly won't be a new one. Either a Great Harbour or something similar is in our 5 yr plan.

We have to see if we can handle living aboard before we move up.
Beach: There isn't anything similar to a Great Harbour. Mine is probably the closest and I could drive mine into a GH-37.

There may be a point to what Eric said about the GH being a catamaran without the tunnel between the hulls. Endeavour's 40 Skylounge is the closest concept boat I know to it, and it's a cat. Hmm. Looks a bit like my Avitar doesn't it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	endeavour 40 sky lounge.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	24213  

Old 10-31-2013, 10:11 PM   #140
Guru

To me the Florida Bay Coaster seems to be similar in design but has the steel hull.

It does look very similar. I'll have to get on my desktop to see your avatar.

Tags
great harbor trawlers, n37