Old 01-30-2014, 04:43 PM   #1
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Great Deal on Nexus 7 Tablet

For those interested Newegg is selling 1st Gen. Nexus 7s on eBay for $129.00. These are great tablets with built in GPS.

Asus Google Nexus 7 NVIDIA Tegra 3 1 20GHz 7" 1GB Memory 32GB Tablet PC 087944505020 | eBay
mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:48 PM   #2
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Will something like this run the PC version of ActiveCaptain?
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:48 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Are there apps/progams for Nav that will run on these? Sorry to ask, but I'm new to this stuff.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:13 PM   #4
Guru

To answer BOTH questions

Jeppesons "Plan2Nav" app runs in android. It has Active Captain embedded.
There are a couple of others as well. But I believe this is the best. The app is free.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:15 PM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Will something like this run the PC version of ActiveCaptain?
Sorry, didn't read your question right.
No, you can't run A Captn PC version in android.. See my post above.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:05 PM   #6
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Active Captain uses Flash. Neither Apple products nor current generation Androids support Flash.

But as others have noted, Plan2Nav is a decent charting app that downloads the current AC database so it can be used offline.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:53 AM   #7
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Great deal! Only thing is, this is the "old" Nexus. The 2013 version has a few improvements, including a much better display, more memory, faster processor and a back-facing camera so you can take real pictures, not just selfies.

But it is one of the few tablets with a real built-in GPS, and the old one is still pretty good.

I think that although Plan2Nav is free, you have to pay to download the charts. If I recall correctly, they're not cheap.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:03 AM   #8
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Take two tablets and call me in the morning....
Old 01-31-2014, 10:02 AM   #9

City: Redlands
I can't find the prices for the plan2nav charts. This tablet sounds like a good deal but without knowing the price of charts....maybe not.

Anyone have prices for the downloadable charts.

Never mind, price of tablet has now gone up to $179.
Snooze and loose I guess.

Thanks,
Arch
Old 02-01-2014, 08:56 AM   #10
Scraping Paint

City: Full-time onboard
Vessel Model: Trawler
Plan2Nav from Jeppesen/C-Map works on Android today and is pretty good. They have worldwide chart support. There's another very inexpensive Android charting app about to be released with ActiveCaptain support. If you're in the US, it's a really nice product. I'm testing some of the final beta versions now.

Only 20% of ActiveCaptain users access the guidebook contents using our website. I'd prefer if it were 0%. The right way to use the data is with GPS support, offline charts, and offline ActiveCaptain so you can plan and access everything fast and without any internet connection. That requires app/application support and not viewing the data in a web browser.
Jeffrey S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:01 AM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch View Post
Anyone have prices for the downloadable charts?
I couldn't find any prices on their web site or the Android Play store. I downloaded the app to an old Android tablet just to see. You have to set up an account using your e-mail address before you can even see what's available.

I always assume that if a business works that hard at hiding their prices from their customers, there's a very good reason.

Sorry Plan2Nav, I'll wait for a software vendor that's willing to be open and honest with me. That's just my personal rule.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:03 AM   #12
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
CaptTom:

I understand your viewpoint, but don't be too hard on Jeppesen. You can't really expect them to sell the charts on the Play Store. They are sold from within the application which is free to download from the Play Store.

I downloaded the entire east coast including the Bahamas for a bit less than $20. The Bahamas charts seem very accurate.

And FWIW I did a side by side comparison of the new Nexus 7 vs my old one and my tired old eyes couldn't see any difference.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:03 AM   #13
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Sorry Plan2Nav, I'll wait for a software vendor that's willing to be open and honest with me. That's just my personal rule.
It's a bad assumption to think that C-Map > Jeppesen > Boeing isn't being honest with you. They're a multi-billion dollar company that stands behind everything they do. They want an account so that they can show you the products you've already purchased so you don't get confused and purchase them again (even for a different device). If you're so concerned about it, get a free Yahoo account for things like this and use that until you're willing to part with your real email address.

No reputable company is ever going to abuse CAN-SPAM requirements with any email address you provide. Don't judge the request for information. Judge the company that's making the request.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:49 AM   #14
Guru

City: East Coast, Australia
Jeff: what's YOUR recommendation for a non-Mac tablet for charting & AC purposes?
Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:03 PM   #15
Guru

I've been a C-Map customer for years, and have had nothing but good customer service.

David, thanks for chiming in, I'm glad to hear they're not gouging.

But evasiveness is still a bad strategy. Why not say something on their web site like "chart prices range from xx to xxx"?

Jeff, I'm glad you have so much faith in big companies. I wish I could share that. My experience is that, the bigger the company, the more marketing people there are trying to herd customers down the most profitable path.

Maybe money is no object to some people. But even then, our time is valuable. We can't even know if it's worth considering a backup tablet running Plan2Nav, if we don't know whether we'll be spending $20 on charts or $600.

Arch simply asked how much it would cost. I think that question deserved an honest answer.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:39 PM   #16
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquabelle View Post
Jeff: what's YOUR recommendation for a non-Mac tablet for charting & AC purposes?
By "non-Mac" I'm assuming you mean non-iOS.

But even with respect to that, I've got to say that without question, the best thing to get is an iPad. There are more choices for apps and they are better. I believe the hardware is better too. I think both those opinions will likely change in the next few years completely dependent on Android users buying/downloading more apps. It's bewildering how Android users kill themselves by not purchasing software. For even free apps - Android users don't download them. As a result, fewer developers develop for Android even though there are more Android devices in existence.

But if you must stay away from iOS, I like the Nexus N7. It's what I use and I like it a lot. I always have it in use when underway and it's my main Android test device. It has been super reliable - I honestly use it for navigation and I wouldn't do that unless I trusted it. I also have a Motorola Android tablet it's OK - it's just not nearly as nice as the N7 hardware. I only use the Motorola for backup. I keep it on the previous version of Android for compatibility testing of my own apps. Pricing for the N7 is exceptional too.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:42 PM   #17
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Jeff, I'm glad you have so much faith in big companies. I wish I could share that. My experience is that, the bigger the company, the more marketing people there are trying to herd customers down the most profitable path.
We're talking CAN-SPAM and trusting a company with your previous email address. And yes, I'd seriously trust any major company with that. However, if a Turkish website with a new way of making money in the stock market wants my email address for their newsletter? Well that one can go on with my Yahoo account if I really need to sign up.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:43 PM   #18
Guru

Jeff, I think I see where we're getting our wires crossed here. My problem isn't with a company asking for my e-mail address. Jeppesen already has that. Heck, I even gave it to ActiveCaptain, before anyone knew you were a trustworthy company

My problem is with sites that make me jump through hoops just to get pricing on a product.

Anyway, thank you for sharing your experience with tablets here, and for all you do for the cruising community.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:58 PM   #19
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Anyway, thank you for sharing your experience with tablets here, and for all you do for the cruising community.
I appreciate that but I hope that here, I'm just another trawler owner.

I think the pricing display is tougher than you imagine. Part of the problem is owned by the company but some complexities of chart ownership and the royalties and country fees make for a very complex pricing structure. Just consider that C-Map supports the entire world of nautical charts. It's much easier if you're purchasing a product that only supports the US. We're a bit spoiled here in the US because we're used to simple pricing for charts (quite often free). The rest of the world is a lot more complex. When C-Map asks for your account, they're honestly trying to provide better information and less confusion.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:32 PM   #20

City: Redlands
Dear just another trawler owner

Here was my thought process: if I bought a couple of these inexpensive N7's I could keep one at each helm running a chart with Active Captain so I wouldn't need to lug my iPad back and forth all day. But I couldn't get anything regarding the price of an east coast/Bahamas chart for plan2nav. Without that pricing, I wasn't going down the N7 road. Simple as that.

I agree with your thoughts on the iPad, it is simply the cost that keeps me from buying a second one. That and the fact what my old iPhone went into the hot tub with me at Longboat Key last month so my ithing money went to a new phone .

Arch