Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-20-2013, 04:55 PM   #1
City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Great boat stocking stuffer!

Check out this gyro/intuitive screwdriver-nutdriver. When I think of all the times I'm bent every-which-way to get to a remote hose clamp, this thing would do all I need to do in those one-handed areas with no effort at all! Just set the torque, choose from straight or gun type handle, and twist in the direction you want to turn.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 05:12 PM   #2
City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
what they really need to come up with is one with a floating head that always stays perpendicular to the screwhead so it doesn't strip out as easily....THAT would blow everything else away....

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:38 AM   #3
City: Sharbot Lake
Vessel Name: Manatee
Vessel Model: 1976 Albin 25 DeLuxe
That looks good - I'm going to keep an eye open for it
1976 Albin 25 DeLuxe; 1990 Thundercraft 1750; 1965 Crestliner Aluminum c/w 65 Merc;
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 01:42 PM   #4
City: Slicker?
Mr. psneeld. "so it doesn't strip out as easily"...I apologize for taking your comment out of context but ONE sure method of keeping a screw from stripping out is use a better screw. Hatteras Yachts and some deck screw manufacturers use these which are far superior IMO from a strip perspective... List of screw drives - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I try to buy and use these as much as possible when available. I'm fed up to the gills with Philips screws stripping out.
RT Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 04:40 PM   #5
City: Somewhere
In my work I've used Slot, Phillips, Torx, Roberson, Hex or Allen, Posidrive and others.
For screws, wood, and sheet metal the Robertson is about the best that is readily available.
A well made Rob. screw can be given a light tap onto a well made Robertson screwdriver and it will stick, usually quite tightly.

Biggest problem I seen now is too many mfgrs. making scrap everything so even a good Robertson won't fit/stick reliably anymore. Worst are the so called multi purpose combination heads, slot, phillips, robertson lousily made so NONE them work well.

One thing to watch out for in a lot of ELECTRICAL equipment is the screw heads are POSIDRIVE , NOT Phillips. Interchange them and you will very likely ruin the screw and then have trouble loosening or tightening. They look very much alike but are NOT. The Pozidrive is a good design and can usually be i.d. by looking at the screw head. Between the 4 drive taper slots will be 4 lines radiating out. If you are working on electrical equipment and the screw head looks like a Phillips, BEWARE, it may not be and trying a phillips in place of may ruin the screw drive.

In the link the Pozidrive is the second from the left.
Products: Wera

Another useless tidbit maybe but in particular I saw lots of the ruined "Phillips" that were in reality the POZIDRIVE and it caused a lot of grief. To the point I would buy the other guys a set. Was cheaper than the fighting with monkeyed equipment..
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote