Old 08-26-2016, 12:40 PM   #41
Guru

City: Vermont
Salvage has commenced. Manson brought in a mega crane (400 ton) this morning. So far they are just setting up. It will be real interesting to see how they untangle the barges and right the one that's flipped.
Old 08-26-2016, 03:59 PM   #42
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
If you have a good vantage point and a weather proof Go Pro handy now would be a pretty good time to set it up Peter.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 08:09 PM   #43
Guru

City: Vermont
Unfortunately the work barge blocks a lot of my view, but I've been watching it over the past two days.

Day one they got the flipped barge lifted up enough to slide out the full barge from underneath it. It's now tied up and being unloaded per usual procedure.

Now the flipped barge is floating on its own, just upside down.

Today they spent the whole day prepping for what I expect will be a righting exercise tomorrow or
Monday. I couldn't see directly, but think they were welding anchor points onto the barge for lifting cables. Near the end of the day it looked like they were rigging the big lifting cables.

I did run the GoPro in time lapse mode for the first couple of hours on the first day. But very little happens visually. Plus, the GoPro is wide angle so not well suited for this. I discontinued, but still have it set up in case things get interesting.