Old 03-13-2013, 11:05 AM   #21
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Name: Cygnus
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
I just went through this. I started with Boat US but they were significantly more than most of the other places I found on line.

The biggest factor was which fonts and colors each offered. Most allowed you to set it all up and see how it would look right on their web page before ordering.

I went with one called letteringonthecheap dot com. They shipped promptly and so far it looks like they delivered exactly what I wanted. And yes, I was put off a little by the name, but they did come in considerably below Boat US, with a larger selection of fonts and colors.

My best advice is to find a whole bunch of sites, open up each one in a new browser tab, and design your lettering on each. Keep the best of them and then comparison shop on price, shipping options, location, etc.

CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:20 AM   #22
Guru

We used Speedysigns.com, the graphics have been on for a few years now and are holding up great. You can see the font and colors on the website. The Trawler Beach House: A Trawler Makeover . We also have the name on the sides of the flybridge. They are fast, accurate and very inexpensive. The name was easy to put on. Chuck

Capn Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:35 AM   #23
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I just went through this. I started with Boat US but they were significantly more than most of the other places I found on line.

The biggest factor was which fonts and colors each offered. Most allowed you to set it all up and see how it would look right on their web page before ordering.

I went with one called letteringonthecheap dot com. They shipped promptly and so far it looks like they delivered exactly what I wanted. And yes, I was put off a little by the name, but they did come in considerably below Boat US, with a larger selection of fonts and colors.

My best advice is to find a whole bunch of sites, open up each one in a new browser tab, and design your lettering on each. Keep the best of them and then comparison shop on price, shipping options, location, etc.
Not pushing them by any means...but the price BoatUS quoted for you...was that with the 10% discount?

I'm sure there are cheaper and better out there..but it's funny the locals and internet ones I tried were more expensive.

I know for certain features, certain shops can do it much better and cheaper because of the vinyl and machines on hand.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:49 AM   #24
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Thanks Guys, good info all around. The boat is down in Sebastian and will be for a few more months and I am up here in Wakulla (5 1/2 hours away) so being local is not really a plus in this instance.

In general, I have VERY little faith in the ability of "marine" tradesman to do quality work in this state. In the 8 years that we owned the old boat I worked with about 15 to 20 vendors. Maybe 5 (and that is stretching it) would I use again. Even the good ones tend to take a crazy long time to get even the simplest job done....multiple months for a little canvas repair or a boat graphic is not at all unusual. I've learned to just do it myself. Perhaps I am turning into some sort of jaded bastard, who knows?

Our old Gulfstar had very classic graphics, they looked great, but the Mainship is a bit of a different animal, so I'm banging around trying to decide. Oh, and no name boards, there is no exterior teak on this boat, so I am not going to add any.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:05 PM   #25
Veteran Member

City: Marysville, WA
Vessel Name: Nehalennia
Vessel Model: SeaRay 260DA "Sundancer"
Another member here did mine. I designed it and he was able to do a great job
Shoot him an email. somesailor@gmail.com

www.vikingbay.co
VikingBay is offline   Reply With Quote