Old 07-27-2013, 05:28 PM   #41
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
Perhaps knowing what the 2 or 3 vertical lights on the tugboat mean would help to some degree ...
+1. Certainly helped us on a crossing from Newport to Bermuda in a 76-foot ketch on a pitch black night and radar not working. We only saw the tug's 3 vertical lights (indicating a long tow behind) and his running light. Absolutely nothing visible behind . . . or anywhere else for that matter. The tug was on constant bearing, coming closer and not responding to hails on the radio. We roused the crew and tacked off, which took us well behind him and gave us ample room to fall off even further. Finally, the captain answered our hail but sounded drunk. He confirmed that he was indeed towing a barge on some 400 meters of cable, but had no lights on the barge! We got a good look at it as we were passing after the tug captain finally agreed to our request to put his search light on the barge. It was a HUGE rusted hulk . . . still much too close for comfort . . . and looked absolutely lethal out there in very choppy, confused seas. Talking about it later, we decided it was the equivalent of navigating around an almost invisible, uncharted moving island (and, just to make it a challenge: piloted by a drunk).

angus99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:59 PM   #42
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
In all fairness to the tug Captain, I've known a couple of men who sound drunk when they speak, but it's just the way they talk. One had a past medical problem and the other one...well...the older he gets, the more he mumbles. AFAIK, they each have all their mental faculties.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:17 PM   #43
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Just read a body matching the bride-to-be's description was found in the water. The boat's driver has been charged with vehicular manslaughter. DUI.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:26 PM   #44
Master and Commander

In an urban setting, it can get difficult picking out lights ... "be careful, there is danger out there."

One night in the 1960s we were sailing eastward on San Pablo Bay. Suddenly a tug with tow running westward about 300 yards to our beam showed its searchlight on us and hailed their presence/warning.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:26 PM   #45
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
In 1999 I had a 50'fiberglass fishing boat slam into the stern of our tow. It was in Penobscot Bay (maine) at night, dead of winter. Repeated calls on the radio, spot light and horn brought no response as he kept closing on us. He hit the Cement barge we were towing at around 12 kts. His bow opened up and he ran to Owls head and got the boat ashore (on the rocks) before it sank.
The Coast Guard was called (by us) and video taped our running light display on the tug and on the barge. CG boat took our chief engineer back to the tow to inspect for damage. A surprisingly large dent in the stern of the barge, no breach of water tight integrity.
We were released to continue on, and stopped in Portsmouth, N.H for piss tests.
Crew of fishing vessel was treated at local hospital, and arrested for intoxication.
We never heard another word about it.
Sailor of Fortune is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:07 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
My own experience, with five years of living the cruising life, is that tugboat captains go out of their way to warn us when they have a tow. I feel sure that privately they all wish that pleasure boaters would just go away, but having one hit a tow line can probably lead to all sorts of undesirable complications. My wife and I were nicely warned several times that there was a tow, even though she was very good at picking up the vertical lights. Are there drunkards out there? Possibly. But most of them are very good at what they do.
jwnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:21 PM   #47
Veteran Member

City: Florence
Vessel Name: Jubilee
Vessel Model: Prima Seahorse
Are recreational boating license required in NY, NJ, etc ?
sea hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:45 PM   #48
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by sea hag View Post
Are recreational boating license required in NY, NJ, etc ?
Yes, NJ is one of the toughest in the nation...more and more are meeting that NASBLA standard...

I taught the course for 12 years...really don't think it helped much for true knuckleheaded boating accidents any more than driver safety courses have reduced DUIs. iT may have helped more with true boating experience type mishaps.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:46 PM   #49
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Today I witnessed a party barge anchored inside the Stockton deep water channel with 6 people enjoying an afternoon of fishing and drinking. A Stockton bound freighter had passed through a couple hours earlier.

When(unfortunately not if) I witness this in the future what is the proper protocol for reporting?

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:56 PM   #50
Master and Commander

Sounds like a missed opportunity for a securite call.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:06 PM   #51
Guru

City: Juno Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Takes Two
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
As thought alcohol and stupidity

Hudson River Boating Accident: Manslaughter Charges Filed
gwkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:08 PM   #52

City: Benicia CA
Sounds like a missed opportunity for a securite call.

He didn't miss anything. The freighter passed through a couple of hours earlier. He is asking for future reference, and it's a good question.
Nsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:39 AM   #53
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Name: Cygnus
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsail View Post
He didn't miss anything. The freighter passed through a couple of hours earlier. He is asking for future reference, and it's a good question.
For future reference: If YOU spot something that might become a danger to others, YOU can issue a Navigational Warning call. Technically, it's "secure-it-tay" - I guess it's French.

Here's a Wikipedia article on in.

If you get on 16 with a legitimate Sécurité call about a drunken party barge presenting a hazard to navigation, you've done your job. You may also arouse the curiosity of the local LE folks.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:36 AM   #54

City: Tokyo, Japan / Tampa, Florida / Washington, Virginia
Vessel Name: Mondai Nai
Vessel Model: Nordhaven 55 - 45
Send a message via Skype™ to IntervaleII
The key is you shouldn't be relaxing when you are running a vessel, no matter what size. When one relaxes thats when mistakes happens. One need to keep a keen eye on what's going on all around you at all times. You are responsible for everyones safety, your crew and passengers, no different than a airline pilot. When running our vessel I take it very seriously, now when I finally arrive and anchor, that's a different story.
IntervaleII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:41 AM   #55
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
In all fairness to the tug Captain, I've known a couple of men who sound drunk when they speak, but it's just the way they talk. One had a past medical problem and the other one...well...the older he gets, the more he mumbles. AFAIK, they each have all their mental faculties.
You're right, I know some guys like that, too. In this case, though, it wasn't only how he sounded, but how long it took him to respond to our transmissions after we'd established contact and how muddled and confused he was. If not plastered, then certainly impaired in some other way. To be clear, I have great respect for professional mariners, but alcohol can be a factor in accidents involving boats big or little.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:58 AM   #56
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
If not plastered, then certainly impaired in some other way. To be clear, I have great respect for professional mariners...
In that case it might be best to leave the medical and legal diagnostics to those in a position to do so. Diagnosing legal impairment by radio is difficult at best.

It is difficult enough for working mariners to deal with boaters who have no knowledge of COLREGS and operating procedures or the characteristics of large vessels without having to worry about them making medical evaluations by VHF.

There is a solid foundation for the frequent observation that having enough money to buy a boat does not mean you know how to use it or have any business operating it at night and/or around commercial traffic.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:14 AM   #57
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
The barges used on that job are out of the navigational channel. They have several moorings that are being used by the construction contractor on the North side of the bridge. We passed under the bridge Northbound in the early hours Thursday. Since I wasn't on watch, I can't say if the barges were lit, but each time in the past several months they were properly lit.
Sailor of Fortune is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:20 PM   #58
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
In that case it might be best to leave the medical and legal diagnostics to those in a position to do so. Diagnosing legal impairment by radio is difficult at best.

It is difficult enough for working mariners to deal with boaters who have no knowledge of COLREGS and operating procedures or the characteristics of large vessels without having to worry about them making medical evaluations by VHF.

There is a solid foundation for the frequent observation that having enough money to buy a boat does not mean you know how to use it or have any business operating it at night and/or around commercial traffic.
Maybe it would be best to learn the difference between a diagnosis and an opinion.

We had a licensed captain aboard with many years of commercial experience. The crew, collectively had over 100 years of blue water experience.

Is there a subject you don't feel compelled to lecture on?
Old 07-28-2013, 12:28 PM   #59
Guru

City: Juno Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Takes Two
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntervaleII View Post
The key is you shouldn't be relaxing when you are running a vessel, no matter what size. When one relaxes thats when mistakes happens. One need to keep a keen eye on what's going on all around you at all times. You are responsible for everyones safety, your crew and passengers, no different than a airline pilot. When running our vessel I take it very seriously, now when I finally arrive and anchor, that's a different story.
Have to agree 100% we have a no alcohol rule until docked then as a Kiwi a beer is not too far away.

In my former job I saw too many fatalities and innocent lives changed forever caused by alcohol and driving.
gwkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:38 PM   #60
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
I have a VHS of home movies shot by John Wayne and others. Here's a comment by the Duke on drinking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wild Goose.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	21707  

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote