Old 07-09-2019, 07:52 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Burgaw, NC
Vessel Name: Belle
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 CL
Grand Banks Classic Davits

We are about to buy some davits for our GB36CL and are wondering what the conventional wisdom is for GB davits. It is important to us that we can easily deploy and retrieve a small RIB. Our cradle on top of the aft cabin is too cumbersome to use on a regular basis. I don't believe our swim platform is strong enough to support much weight, so we need something that will attach to the transom/aft gunwale. I am looking at St. Croix davits sold by Defender as a reasonable solution. Are there other options that we should be looking at? Any observations, advise, cautions, experience are welcome.
djewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:54 AM   #2

City: Pensacola, FL
Vessel Name: Rain Dog
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
I have always admired the davit solution on Gadabaut:

https://www.jordanyachts.com/yachts_for_sale/gadabaut

We will probably do something similar.
Rain Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:05 AM   #3
Veteran Member

City: Burgaw, NC
Vessel Name: Belle
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 CL
Rain Dog,
I like the solution on Gadabaut and would like to learn more. Do you have information on the manufacturer?
Doug
djewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:07 AM   #4

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Maire
Vessel Model: 1974 Grand Banks 42 Classic
I too would be very interested in the origins of that system.

Thanks,

romany275
romany275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:05 AM   #5

I think it is custom. Lots more details and photos here: dinghy mounted on swim step davits - safe system? - International Association of Grand Banks Owners
Old 07-09-2019, 12:23 PM   #6
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Shipoopi
Vessel Model: derilic sailboat
I'm planning a system on my boat. I've been researching DIY davits and have come across some pretty interesting setups. My dink will weigh around 150-175lbs ready to move out. Since you're not looking to use the swim step, consider sailboat davits.

What a pain in the transom.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 05:02 PM   #7

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Shady Grove
Vessel Model: TMC Custom 41 Trawler & S-2 10.3 Sail
I really like this concept. I need to do something this year for my 10'6 rib/15hp
BigTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 07:35 PM   #8

I think the hardest part will be the block at the masthead. My back of the envelope on this project is:

- Have pro fabricate the bow: $1000 (supplies and labor)
- Install bow: $300 (supplies only, my labor)
- Hire rigger to consult on mast loads and design of lifting rig: $300 (labor)
- Rigging supplies for lifting harness and reinforcing mast: $500 (supplies only, my labor)
- Install manual self-tailing winch on the mast to lift dinghy: $600 (supplies only, my labor)

That would make the whole project about $2700 plus maybe 20 hours of labor.

The big variable is what the rigger says about the mast supporting the load. My dinghy + outboard is about 250 lbs, but I want it to support 400 lbs in case we want to upgrade the dinghy later.

Anyone think these numbers are wildly optimistic (or pessimistic?).
Old 07-09-2019, 07:56 PM   #9
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
These:
https://www.nickjacksonco.com/transom.html
Old 07-09-2019, 08:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
That looks like a $10,000-$15,000 solution that is no better than the $2700 solution proposed above.

I say $10,000 - $15,000 because the link posts no prices and it would require a whole new, and substantially upgraded, swim platform.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:12 PM   #11
Veteran Member

City: Clearwater, FL
Vessel Name: Living Waters
Vessel Model: 36' Grand Banks Classic
I put St. Croix on our 36 Classic a few months ago, they work great
Fishing Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:21 PM   #12
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Different application, but we have a St.Croix Dinghy Crane fitted on the FB,it is a quality well made product. I`m no fan of a dinghy hanging in davits off the transom,I like Rain dog`s suggestion, or something similar.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Different application, but we have a St.Croix Dinghy Crane fitted on the FB,it is a quality well made product. I`m no fan of a dinghy hanging in davits off the transom,I like Rain dog`s suggestion, or something similar.
I am very torn between going with a crane vs davits.

I am a little worried about the install of the crane (big hole through the aft cabin top that was not designed to carry a load), but I love the simplicity and seaworthiness.

I am leaning toward the davits because I think it will be cheaper, fewer holes in the boat, and it leaves room for me to store kayaks and/or sups on the aft cabin top.

I am for sure still on the fence.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:54 AM   #14
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Dog View Post
...I am a little worried about the install of the crane (big hole through the aft cabin top that was not designed to carry a load), but I love the simplicity and seaworthiness.

I am leaning toward the davits because I think it will be cheaper, fewer holes in the boat, and it leaves room for me to store kayaks and/or sups on the aft cabin top.
e.
The St Croix crane is designed to be deck mounted and supported on the deck railing. As we were mounting ours on the FB we added a substantial load plate under the deck fitting. After the install we added a fillet type right angle vertical plate at the aft bulkhead,adjacent to crane. We saw some deflection although our dinghy is < 30kg, so we further supported the crane mast by a tensioned lifting strap attaching (temporarily) to the mast.
With all that done it worked well enough,but I think you are right to have reservations. Quite often we manhandle the inflatable(less motor) onto the FB. Two people can do that, with "occasional coarse language".
The Crane is demountable, so except when in use regularly all save the base fitting is removable. It is well engineered and thought out.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:51 AM   #15

City: Va Beach
Vessel Name: SeaShell
Vessel Model: 1974 Marine Trader 34 Sedan
Here is our solution..... less that $300 and works great. No holes, non-permanent, and travels well. Easy to use. We use it with a 9’ inflatable floor dinghy. I believe it max’s out around 250 lbs although it is sturdy enough to handle more.
Attached Thumbnails
CCBC01D6-D089-46A3-A2CA-FDD07CA2939B.jpg   9BCE627A-ABD7-450E-82B3-CBE0F742E98C.jpg  
SeaBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:48 AM   #16
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
That looks like a $10,000-$15,000 solution that is no better than the $2700 solution proposed above.

I say $10,000 - $15,000 because the link posts no prices and it would require a whole new, and substantially upgraded, swim platform.
not so.

I have seen many of the Nick Jackson style, all attach directly to the transom, so are an excellent solution on such boats as the old GB 36 and 42, neither of which have a viable swimgrid. But no, I don't know their current pricing.
Old 07-12-2019, 02:12 PM   #17
Guru

City: Mahón, Menorca
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Vessel Model: 1973 Grand Banks 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by djewell View Post
We are about to buy some davits for our GB36CL and are wondering what the conventional wisdom is for GB davits. It is important to us that we can easily deploy and retrieve a small RIB. Our cradle on top of the aft cabin is too cumbersome to use on a regular basis. I don't believe our swim platform is strong enough to support much weight, so we need something that will attach to the transom/aft gunwale. I am looking at St. Croix davits sold by Defender as a reasonable solution. Are there other options that we should be looking at? Any observations, advise, cautions, experience are welcome.
What tender do you in mind? How heavy is it?

I had a heavy tender (ca 400 lbs.) on my Grand Banks 42 Classic and I installed a Nick Jackson pipe davit to carry the tender on top of the aft cabin. It worked well.
Old 07-12-2019, 02:48 PM   #18

City: Washington
We found early on that if it is not easy and convenient we will be less likely to use it. Our boat came to us with a 12' double hull fiberglass hull Flexboat/8hp outboard on Weaver davits. That configuration was a pain to tilt up and down using the installed ratchet mechanism. It was hard enough to tilt up that we almost dreaded using the dinghy.

We added a fair amount of weight to the boat by installing St Croix seats, steering, and a 20 hp outboard. At the same time, we changed to Sea Wise davits.

The PO had installed triangular steel brackets attached to the transom under the Weaver load points. The Sea Wise davits are mounted in the same location. The boat is quite heavy. They seem to take the weight just fine.

The look of the boat tipped up is not ideal to me. Sometimes the dinghy is in the way. We occasionally back in to a slip and have to drop the dinghy and move it to the bow first. The usability of the Sea Wise davits trumps everything else - at least for us. The boat is easy enough to tip up and down that my wife can do it by herself in about two minutes.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9468.jpg  
Old 07-15-2019, 01:45 PM   #19

City: Hilton Head
SeaBreeze. Where can anyone buy the dingy system you have
Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 03:20 PM   #20

City: FL
Vessel Model: Benneteau Swift 42
Quote:
- Hire rigger to consult on mast loads and design of lifting rig: $300 (labor)
- Rigging supplies for lifting harness and reinforcing mast: $500 (supplies only, my labor)
- Install manual self-tailing winch on the mast to lift dinghy: $600 (supplies only, my labor)

That would make the whole project about $2700 plus maybe 20 hours of labor.

The big variable is what the rigger says about the mast supporting the load. My dinghy + outboard is about 250 lbs, but I want it to support 400 lbs in case we want to upgrade the dinghy later.

Anyone think these numbers are wildly optimistic (or pessimistic?).

Good think you aren't using my credit card, way too high an estimate.

If I follow you want to add a small mast an boom as crane lift correct?

If so I'll lay it out for a lot less $$

If it's something else ignore post
lipets is offline   Reply With Quote