Grand Banks Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KRedmann

Vessel Name
M/V Gone Fishing
Hello: We are newbies but was shopping for a 36 Grand Banks and after looking at a few we seem to think a 42 would be better for our needs space wise.Of course that gets us into more money and twin engines. Any advice on one over the other as far as handling, value etc? we plan to do mostly coastal cruising in retirement..Thanks

Perhaps you should charter to really get a feel of what size and engine combination will really suit your needs.

Welcome aboard the Forum. You have good taste in boats.

Having cruised on both a 36' Europa and a 42' Classic, my conclusion was that the 42 is much more comfortable. That will be especially true if you have guests aboard. In every dimension, that extra few feet really adds up to greater livability. That helps explain why 42s generally sell for more, although GBs in general seem to hold their value relatively well.

You mentioned that the 42 involves twin engines, which is generally true (though some say they have seen a 42 with a single). It's common to find 36s with singles or twins, and I have crawled around in the engine compartments of both enough to know that I would not buy a 36' with twins. There's just not enough space in the engine compartment to comfortably maintain or service two engines and a generator. A 36 with a single handles just fine, and is much more user friendly toward whoever is responsible for the mechanical side of things.

There is a 42 pootling around Vancouver somewhere with a single Gardner. I could probably be tricked into owning teak again if I could get a single Gardner...

And believe it or not, just to cloud the issue, a friend of ours has a GB32 with twins...one of only six made!

I think Capt.Bill11's suggestion of renting both a 36 and 42 to help with your decision is a good one.

I wouldn't turn down a GB42 with a single if all the systems were in good shape. And I'm not too proud to admit that a bow thruster would be welcome (for this boy, anyway!).

Gigg,

I sure would like to see that 32, where is it?

Bob

KRedmann,

We have cruised in both and now own a 36. Handling, they pretty much felt the same to me. Space, the 42 is more luxurious with wider passageways, larger salon and overall sq ft. Engine room in the 42 is significantly larger for doing your own work. Slip rent, insurance and some maintenance is higher for the 42. Both seem to hold their value well. More teak to maintain on the larger vessel .

All that being said, we love our 36 and cruised with another couple aboard for 6 weeks and did very well.

:eek:

Twins and extra feet would be a plus for me. Thoae extra feet make a huge difference in livability if you can afford it.
ALL boats, regardless of how big they seem when buying, shrink after you own them for a few months.

A good friend of my Dad's had several GBs, all of which I was aboard. 32 twins, 42 tri cabin twins, 42 tricabin single, 42 Europa single, 42 Europa twins, 46 tri cabin twins. The only one with enough room was the 46. Its interior space is very similar to my C & L 44 interior space, with the addition of headroom in the ER. Go see a 46.

32' with twin Sabre or Perkins ?

I think they have Perkins.

I haven't talked to him in a couple of years. I guess an "acquaintance" would be a better word than "friend"! I'll try to retouch with them and get an update.

Sooner or later that Grand Banks of your dreams will venture forth. A larger GB will handle bigger seas than a smaller one. If your wallet can take it, go bigger IMHO for comfort not only at the dock but when you encounter big water.

A few weeks ago we were in some rough water not too far from a GB 42. It was amazing how much he was moving around in comparison to our larger DF 48. To the point he had to alter course. Size matters - or maybe hull design.

Charter for sure and take your time searching. Took us 10 years to find our perfect to us boat. PM me if you have any particular questions. Welcome aboard.

We've owned our 1981 GB 42' classic for 6 years now. Twin 453 Detroits. Large enough for extended stays for two and 3.5 gph with generator running a lot of the time. Teak can be tiime consuming. Love it though.

Back
Top Bottom