Grand Banks 42' Classic or Motoryacht

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bshillam

Guru
Vessel Name
Our Heaven
Vessel Make
1997 4800 Navigator
Ok - so recently we have narrowed our search down to either at classic or motor yacht. Have you had either? What have you liked about your model? If you could do it again would you? What would you change about yours?

The GB Motor Yacht is different from the Classic mainly in the aft cabin. The MY is wider from the shoulders up! That's it! It appears much larger, but the useable space is about the same. The thing you loose with the MY is a walk-around deck. We couldn't live without a complete walk-around deck. We would also miss the dink storage on top of the aft cabin rather than a "sun deck" type design.

Besides, how much time is spent in the aft cabin? When sleeping we wouldn't know if the cabin was wider from the shoulders up!

If we had to do it all over again we would still get the Classic. However, I do see the advantage of the Europa with the covered side and aft decks. With the EU we would loose the larger aft cabin for a V-birth (noisier) but gain a larger aft deck for relaxing and fishing, etc. The EU isn't as good as the Classic or MY for guests.

It's all a compromise!

I never intervene or influence in the choice or research of boat which is a matter of personal choice, always a compromise between what is desirable and what is possible. Nevertheless I may just make a few comments.

The Classic offers two staterooms, separated by the main saloon and galley.

The Motoryacht offers a full-width stateroom aft, and two staterooms forward, a larger forward head.

Attachments

• A003.jpg
    A003.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 225
  • A005.jpg
    A005.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 264
  • C001.jpg
    C001.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 297
Last edited:
So yesterday I made an offer, what I feel is respectable on this vessel

1983 Grand Banks 42 Motoryacht Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

We'll see what happens. My son of only 7 is nearly only a foot away from being my height so a second stateroom is a definite plus. It needs updated electronics, probably diesel heat for the times we are away from the docks and a proper tender. For now, updated electronics are first on the list.

Nice looking boat.

I really enjoyed my 42' MY and I'm sure you'll enjoy yours as well.

Any GB in the NW Explration fleet has most likely been well looked after. I have their detailed and excellent maintenance check list, something you may care to get from Brian and go through it with the surveyor. Good choice.

Yup, nice boat.

Wonder what it sold for, new, in 1983? Any source for info like this?

We own the boat in question since we bought her new in 1983 in Singapore from Bob Livingston. With shipping and basic electronics we paid about $230,000. BTW shipping from Singapore to LA was $12,000. We love her dearly and have cruised the Salish Sea extensively since 1992 when I brought her up the coast from San Diego. I never thought we would sell her but sadly our health and age dictates she go to the stewardship of someone who will provide her with the affection and care we have given her all these years. She is a great boat and will serve well. Mel Kowal

I neglected to mention that the Motoyacht Model sold for about $20,000 more in 1983 than the Classic. We think the Motoryacht is superior in every aspect to the Classic. There is nothing we would have changed regarding layout and convenience which is why we bought her new in the first place.

Mel,

I walk by her almost everyday and have been aboard several times, she is a beauty that is clean and very well kept.

The right buyer will find her and she will find them.

Bob & Jill

Like others, I think she is a beauty but could some one explain why the Lehmans are olive green?

We own the boat in question since we bought her new in 1983 in Singapore from Bob Livingston. With shipping and basic electronics we paid about $230,000. BTW shipping from Singapore to LA was $12,000. We love her dearly and have cruised the Salish Sea extensively since 1992 when I brought her up the coast from San Diego. I never thought we would sell her but sadly our health and age dictates she go to the stewardship of someone who will provide her with the affection and care we have given her all these years. She is a great boat and will serve well. Mel Kowal

Thanks. Trying to convince the wife that if we keep a boat a few years, we might sell it for about what we pay (33 years might be a little much, for us).

The only thing worse than getting older is not getting older.

L.O.A. (Not including Pulpit & Swim Platform) / Beam :

GB 42' Classic Hull # 605 (my previous boat) : 41" 10" / 13' 70"
GB 42' Motor Yacht Hull # 1352 : 43' 30" / 14' 10"

Brokers offer of $160,500 turned down. There is no better boat at a better price. A vessel of this quality and size at a similar price cannot be found.

Since buyer and seller are both here, you could discuss through private message if you want. Of just continue to work through your brokers as you are.

Hoping something works out for both of you.

Time for me to whine over the death of Grand Banks as we knew it. It appears Palm Beach is doing well so that's where the attention is.

From the business side, their moves appear to be working as they went from a $4.8 million loss in 2015 to a $2.0 million profit in 2016. 78.6% of their sales in 2016 were in the US. As to the lines, the GB 60 has still only appeared in artist renderings.

The GB line is down to a 43' and 54' Heritage model, a 55' and 72' Aleutian model and a 44' Eastbay. All other models have been dropped. The Palm Beach line consist of 6 Express Models and the same 6 boats in Flybridge versions.

I think the boat being discussed here was such a great boat as were many they built and miss seeing them in the market.

Firstly I hope the OP and Mel can get it done. You aren't that far apart. Looks to be a great boat and it clearly delivered a lot of great times for Mel. That's priceless, and the new owner, whoever they are, are bound to get the same. The 42's are 'just right' in so many ways.

BandB
The good news is that GB have started making profits. Without that the company does not survive. I'm sure they would listen to anyone who wanted a discontinued model built for them, and might well be able to do it. Of course old moulds do get destroyed if there is no yard space....

I am happy to discuss my reasoning and how I came to my decision and offer. However I don't feel a public forum is the best approach. I might suggest that we have a conversion/conference with our broker off line.
I respect my fellow forum members and appreciate the honest frank feedback that they have given me in the past. For that I am very appreciative. In seeking to find my next vessel I value the opinion of many here. Thank you for your contributions and willingness to share.

The boating industry rises and falls, largely due to sea legs capable visionaries vs non boating corporate hacks running the companies. A publically traded specialty boat building company is a step backwards IMHO when it comes to creating quality well designed vessels that change with the times.

Nordhavns continued success is worth a study. As GB faded, PAE became a star. Why is that?

As with many other builders, GB suffered mightily with the departure of Tony F. It took awhile. Of course Fleming thrived.

As with many other builders, GB suffered mightily with the departure of Tony F. It took awhile. Of course Fleming thrived.

I'm a huge Tony Fleming fan and a Fleming boat fan. However, when we talk about Fleming thriving and GB suffering we need to be careful. The number of boats Fleming thrives on selling in a year, would be suffering for GB. They were structured as a volume producer. Fleming thrives on far less volume.

There are many reasons for GB's demise as a product line (I'm saying the traditional GB vs. the company itself). Some external, many internal. They include ownership discord, high costs of manufacturing, failure to adapt, destroying their sales channels, being undercut in price by Marlow, Retail pricing structure created by them selling through dealers, slow build times, distance of management from their primary market, distraction caused by spending time on raising more capital vs running the business, ownership groups with different objectives, dependence on volumes that couldn't be maintained through hard times. The list goes on and on.

I'm happy the company appears to be on the way to survival, although I do not believe necessarily they're out of the woods yet. One year of profit after many of loss is just a start.

I'm sad that another iconic brand is gone.

I'm still waiting for others to step up and fill the void of 40-60' semi-displacement spacious cruisers. A void created by reductions and eliminations in GB, Baylineer, Tolly, Californian, and others. Beneteau Swift Trawler is the one that has taken leadership in that regard. Sabre has a good product in that range.

I'm still waiting for others to step up and fill the void of 40-60' semi-displacement spacious cruisers. A void created by reductions and eliminations in GB, Baylineer, Tolly, Californian, and others. Beneteau Swift Trawler is the one that has taken leadership in that regard. Sabre has a good product in that range.

Here in the PNW, there are many "others" seen everywhere we travel. These include American Tug, Nordic Tug, Helmsman, and North Pacific. We also see many of the experienced Asian and North American boats making up the more affordable side. There is a trend here towards the smaller cruisers, such as Ranger and Cutwater...which we also frequently see.

Getting back on topic, I like lines of a GB - I just don't want to spend the maintenance time and money towards its requirements, which the others are mostly free of. I suspect I am not alone.

Here in the PNW, there are many "others" seen everywhere we travel. These include American Tug, Nordic Tug, Helmsman, and North Pacific. We also see many of the experienced Asian and North American boats making up the more affordable side. There is a trend here towards the smaller cruisers, such as Ranger and Cutwater...which we also frequently see.

Getting back on topic, I like lines of a GB - I just don't want to spend the maintenance time and money towards its requirements, which the others are mostly free of. I suspect I am not alone.

Those others are all nice and while at first I tend to think of their smaller boats, they all have larger now. I guess the difference in them and some of the ones gone by the wayside is styling and looks. They're excellent boats and appeal to me, but not sure how much they appeal to the former buyer of the now deceased brands. I guess North Pacific does most easily of those you mentioned but rarely see them in the Southeast and many boaters have never heard of them.

In the southeast, the trend is larger, not smaller, so not toward boats like Ranger and Cutwater. They are here at the show.

Some of the PNW brands really could use some better east coast representation. American Tugs has pretty good representation in the NE. As an interesting aside, the largest US yacht builder is in Washington, but their sales office in Fort Lauderdale and the waters of Fort Lauderdale covered with their boats.

Back
Top Bottom