Graduating from a Sailboat to a Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"I have a similar design boat in a 34 Californian with twins but the fishtailing in following seas can be demanding. You have to know your boat and 'predict' the forces that you need to counteract the yawing force."

Following seas is an area where some types of sailboat self steering gears work far better than any power boat AP.

The boat must be off course before the AP begins to correct .

With some self steering (Aires for 1) the paddle which produces the power to steer is drug perhaps 1/ 2 foot sideways by the stern swinging and the correction is already made in the proper direction.

Fun to observe in the day and a crew saver all night in dirty weather.

My boat has a rounded
“sailboaty” hull with a full keel and a big rudder, but using the AP in a bigger following sea is problematic. It seems like it overcorrects. Maybe I don’t have it set correctly? Too sensitive maybe?

Hi All,

I am new to this forum. As a spectator the last couple of weeks, I am in awe of the extensive knowledge possessed by this group. I am ever so thankful to find you and excited about all that I can learn as we transition to the next chapter in our nautical lives.

My wife and I have recently sold our sailboat and are looking at trawlers. Our intent is to find one that will adequately carry us up north in the summer to escape the Florida heat and provide us the capability for an excursion to the Bahamas in season. We were hoping to stay around 34-36 feet, twins would be nice and a flybridge/lower helm a must. We prefer a cockpit with room to lounge, and one that also serves as an extension of the salon. Thus, for now, we are not looking for an aft stateroom. We would want only one head and a separate shower stall. Basically, we are looking for the perfect couple's trawler for us.

Seaworthiness is a huge priority. We prefer to go outside when possible. And since weather happens, we would like a vessel that can handle sloppy conditions and climb mountains on occasions. Hopefully, we can find a boat that is year 2000 or newer.

We have looked at 3 boats thus far that we are seriously considering. A 2006 Mainship 34, a 2000 Sabre 34 fast trawler and a 2009 Integrity 346 Europa Sedan. We have not sea trialed any of them.

I am anxious to hear your comments on how you feel these 3 stack-up to our desires, especially seaworthiness. It may be that I have unreal expectations of them. I then would so welcome any other recommendations you might have.

Thanks for your thoughts.

JimP
Hi Jim.
3 1/2 years ago we did the same thing. We purchased a Trans Pacific Eagle 40. It is a 40’ Boat for two. One stateroom foward with walk around queen, separate head to starboard, shower to port. Pilot house, galley, main salon. Act cockpit. Fly bridge. Took 8-10’ seas off Canso straight with ease. She’s semi displacement, single engine with bow thruster. We have done the DownEast Circle Loop, Great Loop and are now currently in Ottawa doing the Triangle. Get compliments on her everywhere we go. Check them out!

Ford Lehman Mechanic

Good Morning, I am looking for a Ford Lehman mechanic in the Ft. Lauderdale, Miami area.
I have twin 120s (awesome engines)in my 38 ft trawler. I have been bless for ten years without major issues, only routine maintenance.
I am looking for a mechanic who is familiar with these engines.
Bryan Smith of AMERICAN Diesel has always been a great help, but he could not recommend anyone in this area.
Thank you in advance!

Graduating from sailboat

Good Morning, I am looking for a Ford Lehman mechanic in the Ft. Lauderdale, Miami area.
I have twin 120s (awesome engines)in my 38 ft trawler. I have been bless for ten years without major issues, only routine maintenance.
I am looking for a mechanic who is familiar with these engines.
Bryan Smith of AMERICAN Diesel has always been a great help, but he could not recommend anyone in this area.
Thank you in advance!

There is a Grand Banks shop in Stuart that can probably help you. There number is: 206-352-0116

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom