Old 11-28-2015, 03:34 PM   #21

City: Louisville
Vessel Name: Turas
Vessel Model: 2004 Selene 48
Wind: Wife and I just purchased an Selene 48. 2004 RM RL80's in the ph. We are updating the entire system to Garmin. Would be interested to see your install refit after pulling the RL70's. I'm still not sure how to make mine work w/o making a mess of the existing teak panel.

PatMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 09:55 PM   #22
Guru

City: Port Orchard, WA
Vessel Name: Violet A
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatMac View Post
Wind: Wife and I just purchased an Selene 48. 2004 RM RL80's in the ph. We are updating the entire system to Garmin. Would be interested to see your install refit after pulling the RL70's. I'm still not sure how to make mine work w/o making a mess of the existing teak panel.
I'll post a picture when I'm done with the installation but that may not be until well into January. We have quite a few boating events in December and I don't want to have the boat in a big mess. However, the first thing I will do is mount the 2 displays. I made a cardboard template of the overall size and they will fit but it will be tight.

By the way, I just discovered today that I have RL80's not RL70's as I posted earlier.

The five stages of life: Sailboats, Motorboats, Motor Homes, Nursing Home, Funeral Home.
windmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 11:50 PM   #23
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmist View Post
Well, I bit the bullet. I have 2 7215's, a radar dome and a sounder on order. Thanks Baker.

These displays are bigger than what I would have bought but the price was too good to ignore. It is going to be tight for the two displays on my console but I think I can make it work.

Here is a picture of how it looks today. The middle display is a computer monitor running Coastal Explorer. The two on either side are Raymarine RL70's which will be replaced.
WOOOHOOOO!!!! I love spending other people's money!!!... Those RL70s are a lot bigger and have a lot of "wasted space" around the screen. I am sure you measured it out...obviously it is gonna take some modification. But it will look slick when it is done.!!!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 01:35 PM   #24

City: Louisville
Vessel Name: Turas
Vessel Model: 2004 Selene 48
Quote:
I'll post a picture when I'm done with the installation but that may not be until well into January. We have quite a few boating events in December and I don't want to have the boat in a big mess. However, the first thing I will do is mount the 2 displays. I made a cardboard template of the overall size and they will fit but it will be tight.

By the way, I just discovered today that I have RL80's not RL70's as I posted earlier.
Thanks. I hope to have mine done sometime between now and then. I have 2X80's in the ph and 1x70 on the fly. Due to space, I had to go w/ 2x7212 on the PH and 1x7215 on the fly.

Not sure exactly how to interface the Seatalk1 remaining devices, ST60, RM A/P, and Coastal Explorer, AIS on the same N2K backbone. But, I'm sure I can find someone in Stuart Fl to do it.. for a price. Would love to do it all myself but I know my limits... well, sorta.

Thank and will post pics along the way.

PM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flybr (Custom).jpg
Views:	67
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	46935  
PatMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:27 PM   #25
Guru

The first cruise with the new Garmin displays that Baker told us about. I still have some NEMA 0183 stuff to hook up but the new displays work great. I was even able to use the old Raymarine transducer but will replace it (maybe) when I have a haulout scheduled. I can't get STW or temp but I don't really care. I was able to sell the old Raymarine RL80's and radar for $600, so this whole setup cost me about $4800. Thanks Baker.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Garmin Electronics.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	48198  

The five stages of life: Sailboats, Motorboats, Motor Homes, Nursing Home, Funeral Home.
Old 01-18-2016, 01:01 AM   #26
TF Site Team

Quote:
The first cruise with the new Garmin displays that Baker told us about. I still have some NEMA 0183 stuff to hook up but the new displays work great. I was even able to use the old Raymarine transducer but will replace it (maybe) when I have a haulout scheduled. I can't get STW or temp but I don't really care. I was able to sell the old Raymarine RL80's and radar for $600, so this whole setup cost me about $4800. Thanks Baker.
Looking good and glad you are enjoying it!!!! That looks super slick!!!!
Old 01-18-2016, 10:00 AM   #27
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
I'm really leery of touchscreens that have no backup buttons. Just wonder what happens when you come in from the outside with salt water on your fingers and you need to change some settings?.
Lots of restaurants use touch screens for the servers to place orders and print checks. They often have food on their hands. The Garmin touch screen can handle dirty or salty fingers with no problem and you can clean it when needed.

Buttons are more likely to be affected by dirt or water than a glass touch screen.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 10:04 AM   #28
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhatty View Post
Support for a discontinued Garmin product? Hmm. Garmin is no longer doing software updates for our legacy 4210 and 4208 units. On the other hand, they still work great and we can update the maps by buying them on an SD card.
There's a point in a (Garmin) product's life when they no longer offer repairs. This could be a problem, but of course by this time the newer products offer a lot more speed and features.

It's no different than computers. Microsoft no longer provides support for its older operating systems and one would have a hard time getting repairs on a ten year old PC.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 11:38 AM   #29
Guru

City: gulf coast
perhaps but I sent a 10 YO furuno radar back to the factory and they fixed it and updated all the SW. Of course they deal with commercial users who don't think they should buy new electronics every five years.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 11:44 AM   #30
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
There's a point in a (Garmin) product's life when they no longer offer repairs. This could be a problem, but of course by this time the newer products offer a lot more speed and features.

It's no different than computers. Microsoft no longer provides support for its older operating systems and one would have a hard time getting repairs on a ten year old PC.
It is not like this model is 10 years old. There is plenty of support for it and it was bought brand new from an authorized dealer. Not only is there support, there is a warranty!!!

Hey windmist, what is your opinion of touchscreen???
Old 01-18-2016, 01:10 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
It is not like this model is 10 years old. There is plenty of support for it and it was bought brand new from an authorized dealer. Not only is there support, there is a warranty!!!

Hey windmist, what is your opinion of touchscreen???
The 7215 model was released in the 2011/2012 timeframe and from what I can tell the newer replacement model have built-in GPS and sounder functions and probably have a faster processor and of course costs 5 to 6 thousand for a single display.

If money where no object, I'd have gone for the Furuno TZTouch displays but I would have had to add around $10K to the pot to get what I have.

As far as the touchscreens go, I think I like them. Most actions seems to require at least two touch's, like creating waypoints in a route, but it goes pretty fast.

All in all, I'm very satisfied with Garmin support and would say they are better than Furuno's support. I used them quite a bit to get my existing transducer to work with the new sounder and to ask if I could cut the GPS cable so I could route it though a small hole. They said no, but I did it anyway and it works just fine. I mean it's digital, not analog so why not?

Old 01-18-2016, 01:29 PM   #32
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
That's a great looking bridge, Ron!

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 05:30 PM   #33
Guru

Thanks Al. That means a lot coming from my hero.....

Old 01-19-2016, 01:32 AM   #34
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
LOL. Ya, right. Now that you don't have the Seahawks to look up to!

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:18 AM   #35
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Gpsmap 7215...cheap!

Wow. Very nice setup. I only have one screen.

What is the reason for multiple screens? My radar overlays over my plotter so I can see the utility of two screens I guess, but three?

Are you running a different Nav system on one of them it looks like?
cardude01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:29 AM   #36
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
Looks to me that he's displaying radar, plus raster, and vector charts.
hmason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:00 AM   #37
Guru

Oh yeah. Forgot about the raster/vector difference.

Do many here use both raster and vector? I never used paper charts much before so not used to all the data-- the vector is more pleasing to my eye.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:58 PM   #38
Veteran Member

City: Burke, VA
Vessel Name: Tranquility
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-023
Center display appears to be PC screen (Windows) running Coastal Explorer.

Tranquility
KK 42-023
gehales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 01:40 PM   #39
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Wow. Very nice setup. I only have one screen.

What is the reason for multiple screens? My radar overlays over my plotter so I can see the utility of two screens I guess, but three?

Are you running a different Nav system on one of them it looks like?
The center display is running Coastal Explorer which I prefer for creating routes and is my main navigation tool. The display was already existing as can be seen by my "before" picture earlier in this thread. It is new as the old display couldn't be turned on & off any longer so it was a good time to replace it.

I like a separate radar display if I have the room and I do on this boat. I find radar overlay is too cluttered to use in heavy fog which occurs a lot in the summer up north. I don't want to run over a kayak or small fishing boat. I never let fog stop me from going out and this new gear makes it even safer.

No doubt, I did go overboard on this equipment but this stuff was just too good a deal to ignore, as I was thinking of upgrading my electronics anyway.

Glad you like it.

Old 01-19-2016, 03:28 PM   #40
Guru

I don't think you went overboard. I just wasn't sure what was on all this screens. I think it's bad ass! Like an airplane cockpit now!