GPS Interruption

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Greetings,
Mr. o. Shhh....

giphy.webp

Understand, this area is the home of the US Navy Missile Submarine fleet on the east coast so what better place to practice disrupting GPS. I would like to believe the subs still have some sort of SINs (another story for another time) on board to back up GPS. They are unaffected by loss of satellites/GPS. (that too is another story for another time) WINK
What follows is just rumor and I cannot neither confirm nor deny it. We suspect the Russian 'park' some of their subs in this area in attempt to gather sonar signatures of our departing subs, for later tracking. Of course we do the same thing, (so I am told).
I suspect we may see more and more of these disruption depending upon the the 'cold war' status and fleet movement.
So update your paper charts and take frequent (hourly) written position readings when in this area.
As boater, we may not get a warning of these disruptions.
This conversation never happened. WINK

From one article . More might be worth checking.

"Those on the ground using devices that have GPS on them shouldn’t notice any disruptions. But 50 feet or higher, that’s when your Global Positioning System might have a problem."

From one article . More might be worth checking.

"Those on the ground using devices that have GPS on them shouldn’t notice any disruptions. But 50 feet or higher, that’s when your Global Positioning System might have a problem."

I also read this on another article. I'm not concerned at all.

Back
Top Bottom