Gotta love Florida

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gwkiwi

Guru
Vessel Name
Takes Two
Vessel Make
Defever 49 RPH
Beautiful day in Clearwater 80 degrees and people flocking to the beaches and marinas

staticmap

Attachments

• image-2654062708.jpg
    image-2654062708.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 127
  • image-3288729111.jpg
    image-3288729111.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 135
  • image-4231188722.jpg
    image-4231188722.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 112
Also who you meet down here...tied to a dock in Sebastion inlet and a boat with a family fishing drifts by this afternoon...shouting "hey we're from Stone Harbor, NJ"..it's the next town over from where I live in NJ and they heard of me because of my job.

dang snowbirds...:D

Yes, it's tough here in Florida this afternoon. Anchored out for my first overnighter in a cove off of Sanibel (off Fort Myers). Sharing this peaceful place with mother nature and a few like minded boaters.

20140202_172922-1.jpg

Ted

Sunday in Florida started with big plans... big walk for the dog, do some boat cleaning... hit the beach. Did the first part but we never made the beach because hanging out on the roof deck was just easier! Nice day... watching the dock organizing a super bowl party as I type but without the Eagles what's the sense.

Dave

Spent much of the afternoon sitting on the "back porch" of Magic, listening to a live band playing oldies at the Sailors Return restaurant here at Sunset Bay Marina in Stuart, FL. Temp was 81 and a gentle breeze. What a life this live aboard thing is. Gotta go, the BBQ is just about ready.

Ted: Look like your sharing the harbor with an N-37 Great Harbour.

I did both coasts today, first in Longboat Key (Gulf Coast) and I caught the Sunset in Stuart (Atlantic Coast) just up the river from Sunset Bay. Gorgeous day and an easy 3.5 hour trip across. Good to be back aboard.

Ted: Look like your sharing the harbor with an N-37 Great Harbour.

I did both coasts today, first in Longboat Key (Gulf Coast) and I caught the Sunset in Stuart (Atlantic Coast) just up the river from Sunset Bay. Gorgeous day and an easy 3.5 hour trip across. Good to be back aboard.

Yes, an N-37, a sail boat and another power boat. Keep waiting for a certain Manatee to show up, but he seems to be stuck in Stuart. :rolleyes:

Ted

Yes, it's tough here in Florida this afternoon. Anchored out for my first overnighter in a cove off of Sanibel (off Fort Myers). Sharing this peaceful place with mother nature and a few like minded boaters. Ted

Which cove we are heading to Sanibel next weekend

No what you really got to love about Florida is the quick weather changes. I was out in the dink today on the ICW, clear beautiful sunny skies, ten minutes pass it looks like a hurricane is coming, oh Florida how I love you. :D

Which cove we are heading to Sanibel next weekend

I'm in Ding Darling which is outside of Tarpon bay. Anchorage is shown on Active Captain. Cove offers protection from SE, South, and SW winds.

Ted

O C, we anchor there often for the day as that anchorage is only about 15 mins from our house! Its a great spot!

Sunny Florida Eh? Oliver has it right, if you don't like the weather at any given moment, wait 5 minutes. We came down from Canada in Dec and there might have been two days I could wear shorts, the rest of the time it was long pants and sweaters. I think we had the heaters going every evening. The icing on the cake was driving home through Georgia and dodging hundreds of wrecked cars and trucks scattered from one end of the state to the other. What a mess. I was glad to get home to a balmy -30 and five feet of snow.

Thank you Snowbirds for coming to Florida and spending money here. All those taxes you pay on dockage, marine supplies, restaurants and more help keep my own taxes down, all of us residents are glad you are visiting!!

Thank you Snowbirds for coming to Florida and spending money here. All those taxes you pay on dockage, marine supplies, restaurants and more help keep my own taxes down, all of us residents are glad you are visiting!!

Keep Florida green -- bring money.

You guys are killing me, looking out my office window to snow, again! Thanks for the pictures, nice to live vicariously though others, all the best to ya.

Thanks for the Florida welcome Tucker, very thoughtful of you. As one of the visiting snowbirds however, I would be very appreciative if you could adjust your daytime temps to about 82F on average and nighttime temps to about 70F for sleeping. You could also tone down those nuisance hurricanes and typhoon's a bit.

Your quite right about the money spent and I'm pleased to hear it's going toward such a noble cause as keeping your taxes down : ) I know in 8 of the last 24 months I personally have left nearly 60K in Florida, mostly boat related but also a great mix of everything imaginable. Unfortunately, I expect the cash hemorrhage to continue for some time until I'm happy with the boat or broke, whichever comes first. Not sure how I stack up against other snowbirds but I imagine all the Northern States and Canadian visitors combined comprise a major portion of Florida's economy.

That said, I fear this will change quickly however and you will see a sharp decline in visiting cannucks due to the rapidly rising US$ (The CDN$ is now down to .90 cents and predicted to go lower).

Every year, Canadian tourists are voted "poorest tippers" here in San Diego, in a survey of restaurant owners, bartenders, and wait servers. Top of the list: Asian tourists, with the Chinese scoring the highest.

Every year, Canadian tourists are voted "poorest tippers" here in San Diego, in a survey of restaurant owners, bartenders, and wait servers. Top of the list: Asian tourists, with the Chinese scoring the highest.

Much like the US...I think what region you come from is a part of the equation...but far from all of it.

In NJ we get the "summer drop-ins" to hit the beaches and I gotta tell you...yep the businesses love the money but they say the abuse is terrible.....I won't point out what part of Canada the vast majority are from...but for someone in NJ say someone else is abusive...all I can say is HOLY COW!!!:eek::eek::D

Sunny Florida Eh? Oliver has it right, if you don't like the weather at any given moment, wait 5 minutes. We came down from Canada in Dec and there might have been two days I...

As a motor cop, we always said, don't like the weather, don't sweat it. in 5 miles or 5 minutes, it'll change:D.

...By the way, not that it matters, but bet I am the only person on this Forum who is a Florida native (third generation, at that)!

Nope!

I was born and raised right here!:dance:
Father was born and raised on Captiva Island. Fished and worked the area for his young life. Have relatives all over the state from Okeechobee to Panama City, and from here to Melbourne.:D

Grandmother was the 1st Postmaster on Captiva Island!
Biological mom was from Miami. Adopted mother from Bradenton.

Grandmother on mom's side from Myakka.
Great Grandmother from the Dover/Plant City area.

Uncle owned "Timmy's Nook" on Captiva where the Green Flash now stands.

Great Grandfather was a cop in the Ft. Myers area...I can go on and on....:lol:

Nope!

I was born and raised right here!

Father was born and raised on Captiva Island. Fished and worked the area for his young life. Have relatives all over the state from Okeechobee to Panama City, and from here to Melbourne.:D

Great Grandfather was a cop in the Ft. Myers area...I can go on and on....

Good enough. I stand corrected. (Bet not many of us original crackers on here though).

O C, we anchor there often for the day as that anchorage is only about 15 mins from our house! Its a great spot!

Hardly enough time to get the engine(s) nice and hot to boil off the evils.

Much like the US...I think what region you come from is a part of the equation...but far from all of it.

In NJ we get the "summer drop-ins" to hit the beaches and I gotta tell you...yep the businesses love the money but they say the abuse is terrible.....I won't point out what part of Canada the vast majority are from...but for someone in NJ say someone else is abusive...all I can say is HOLY COW!!!:eek::eek::D

:lol::lol::lol:

Very nice spot to spend the night. If the winds had been out of the North, was considering one of the anchorages just to the South of St. James City.

Ted

The anchorage south of St. James is also very popular...

And jwnall, and Off Duty,I am also one of those original "Crackers".
I was born in Ft.Myers, but lived most of my life in Clewiston on Lake O. My mother was born in the woods east of Ft.Myers and contracted malaria as a young girl. Florida was a tough place in the 1900's!
And the town of Jay, Florida was named after my grandfather who was also the postmaster there for years.
Not a lot of us left these days...LOL

And jwnall, and Off Duty,I am also one of those original "Crackers".

And the town of Jay, Florida was named after my grandfather who was also the postmaster there for years.

Another one! Great! And thanks for the tidbit about Jay being named after your grandfather. I know Jay very well, since I am from Pensacola (although my family roots are in Washington County, around Chipley -- one of my ancestors was given land there after the Civil War and moved his family in, with mules and wagons. Tough place indeed!!!

As a motor cop, we always said, don't like the weather, don't sweat it. in 5 miles or 5 minutes, it'll change:D.

Nope!

I was born and raised right here!:dance:

Great Grandfather was a cop in the Ft. Myers area...I can go on and on....:lol:

We are from the same area. I was born in St. Pete (My grandmother is the only child ever born on Eggmont Key, her dad was the lighthouse keeper there) but I grew up in Fort Myers from about 2 years old on. I went to Bishop Verot.

BTW, I loved Timmy's Nook. The green flash sucks in comparison.

Mr. psneeld. "HOLY COW!!!"....I'm sure you mean SACRE BLEU!!!

Thanks for my morning chuckle RTF & psneeld, "All" Nine provinces and three Territories salute you for that clarification.

NJ has that effect on otherwise polite people. Maybe on the way down they were part of the crowd stuck on the GW bridge. :)

...And jwnall, and Off Duty,I am also one of those original "Crackers". I was born in Ft.Myers, but lived most of my life in Clewiston on Lake O. My mother was born in the woods east of Ft.Myers and contracted malaria as a young girl. Florida was a tough place in the 1900's! And the town of Jay, Florida was named after my grandfather who was also the postmaster there for years.

Very cool history. Pleasure to meet you sir!

...Tough place indeed!!!
Yes it was. Dad was born in 1912.

We are from the same area. I was born in St. Pete (My grandmother is the only child ever born on Eggmont Key, her dad was the lighthouse keeper there) but I grew up in Fort Myers from about 2 years old on. I went to Bishop Verot.

BTW, I loved Timmy's Nook. The green flash sucks in comparison.

Awesome information!

Yes, Timmy's Nook was definitely old Florida!:dance:
I learned to swim there...when dad threw me off Uncle Timmy's rickity arsed old pier....:lol:.

I sure miss those days:(

Back
Top Bottom