Old 01-04-2019, 01:02 PM   #1
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Good Marine VHF

Along with the post about fixing an antenna, perhaps some of use would be interested in the best VHF radios out there, like I am.

Shopping for a VHF that has:
Remote operation
Monitoring dual frequencies (and seeing the channel transmitting on)
Has a bright readable display
Has the ability to have an intercom option with the remote (or other radio)
(Don't need AIS, but there's now a new unit that has an AIS transceiver built in).

Who's got a new radio that they can comment on?

Old 01-04-2019, 01:25 PM   #2
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
In my experience cheap = low quality.

I have 2 iCom radios on ASD.

Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 01:37 PM   #3

City: Sitka
Vessel Name: Ventana
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
I have sold and installed a lot of ICOM radios, and a lot of Standard Horizon radios. I feel they are about the same in quality, similar in price. ICOM has something going on with the N2K interface on their radios that would be the only negative I can think of. I never saw anything in the other brands that stood out enough to make me consider them.
Stripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 01:39 PM   #4
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Blue Heaven
Vessel Model: Albin 43 classic double cabin, twin 135 Lehmans
3 years ago I installed an Icom M506 which has all of the features you listed. I also installed the remote station for it. I got the model that had the NMEA2000 interface and an AIS display. I have been extremely happy with the performance of this radio.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 02:04 PM   #5
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Used to be an ICOM guy too.....installed plenty and used plenty on pleasure and commercial boats.

But about 15 years ago, seemed like Standard Horizon came along with better products and ICOM had a few models with issues.

Ever since, been as or more happy with Standard Horizon products and there is no noticeable difference in performance in most models, but theres always one that stands out or is a dog every few years for either brand.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 03:00 PM   #6

City: Toronto
Vessel Model: Kha Shing 40
[QUOTE=Seevee;728449]Along with the post about fixing an antenna, perhaps some of use would be interested in the best VHF radios out there, like I am.

Shopping for a VHF that has:
Remote operation
Monitoring dual frequencies (and seeing the channel transmitting on)
Has a bright readable display
Has the ability to have an intercom option with the remote (or other radio)
(Don't need AIS, but there's now a new unit that has an AIS transceiver built in).

As stated previously, ICOM and Standard Horizon for fixed VHF, although Standard Hor. was rated best Hand Held by Practical Sailor several times.

Quality Antenna and good Coax also make a huge difference.

IMHO, Stay away from anything by Uniden ....... f
Ex Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 03:09 PM   #7
Guru

City: Fairport
hmmm; you said the best, but I'll bet you don't mean that!

https://www.motorolasolutions.com/en...tabproductinfo

The 110 Watts will be nice in emergencies (only)

The remote control heads you can spread around.
diver dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 03:30 PM   #8
Guru

City: Pitcairn Island
Sailor is by far the best and by far the most expensive, I have one that's thirty five years old and works perfect, has a handset instead of a mic which I really like plus they offer playback for the last few minutes of reception. I believe new ones are over a grand now though.
Fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 03:33 PM   #9
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
When I took over as slave to my current boat, I had two fixed iCom VHF radios; one on the flying bridge and one in the lower helm. After 26 years, the lower helm unit gave up! I replaced it recently with a Standard Horizon GX 2200. I also got the SH remote powered speaker. I like the change so far.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 03:41 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish53 View Post
Sailor is by far the best and by far the most expensive, I have one that's thirty five years old and works perfect, has a handset instead of a mic which I really like plus they offer playback for the last few minutes of reception. I believe new ones are over a grand now though.
Sailor 6248 looks pretty good . Has your telephone handset as an option. is around $1300, discounted (It's about 1/2 the price of the handheld that I carry).
Old 01-04-2019, 03:51 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver dave View Post
Sailor 6248 looks pretty good . Has your telephone handset as an option. is around $1300, discounted (It's about 1/2 the price of the handheld that I carry).
You have a $2600.00 handheld VHF? I have an ACR SR203 that only cost about $500.00, what kind do you have?
Old 01-04-2019, 03:58 PM   #12
Guru

goes from 3 to $5k depending on options. I really hope I don't drop it in the drink. It will sink like a brick. Although it has been known to be tested at 60 ft of seawater. (I have the video).
Old 01-04-2019, 04:10 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:

goes from 3 to $5k depending on options. I really hope I don't drop it in the drink. It will sink like a brick. Although it has been known to be tested at 60 ft of seawater. (I have the video).
Not technically a marine VHF radio but who am I to tell you what to buy and as you said don't drop it overboard, my ACR has flotation.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:12 PM   #14
Guru

City: Galveston, Texas
Vessel Model: 24" El Pescador
I had Standard Horizons. Worked well. Nitpicking would be they try to put too much on the screen and is difficult for older eyes to read.

A little off topic but I carried an aviation handheld in addition to a marine, thought being I could almost always communicate straight up.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:40 PM   #15
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
I have 2 Raymarines on my current boat because all my electronics are Raymarine. Most of the common name brand radios are pretty good. The real difference comes in the antenna and cable. Get a good antenna and cable and hook any radio that has the features you like and you are good to go. Hearing someone say they have a 20+ years old radio is great but I have never kept any old radio that was on a boat I bought. I always replace both the radio and antenna. I want a radio system that I can rely on since it is my primary safety device on our boat. New radio and antenna are nickels and dimes in comparison to the overall cost of our trawlers.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 04:44 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish53 View Post
Not technically a marine VHF radio ...
next time you are boarded by uscg, notice what is on their belt. If you get a chance to board one of the larger boats, check out the encrypted MOT mobile radios. It was the uscg that drove a significant development in multiple control heads. (those guys and the hook and ladder trucks with two drivers).

So, yeah, I'll give you that you won't find these in West Marine, or even sold as marine radios; But, they are FCC part 80 approved as such.

After all, the topic started as "the best VHF marine radio". Not sure the icoms and S-H and the Sailors of the world blast 40mph wind driven rain onto their radios after 6' drops on all sides on cement.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:54 PM   #17
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
I have 2 Standard Horizon GX2150 units, one at each helm. The flybridge unit has a 2nd station mic at the lower helm. We use this as a intercom mostly. I keep a handheld at the flybridge on channel 13 to communicate with tows and have the fixed mounted scan other channels. I ended up with 2 of the 2150 because I wanted AIS at each helm.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:46 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
next time you are boarded by uscg, notice what is on their belt. If you get a chance to board one of the larger boats, check out the encrypted MOT mobile radios. It was the uscg that drove a significant development in multiple control heads. (those guys and the hook and ladder trucks with two drivers).

So, yeah, I'll give you that you won't find these in West Marine, or even sold as marine radios; But, they are FCC part 80 approved as such.

After all, the topic started as "the best VHF marine radio". Not sure the icoms and S-H and the Sailors of the world blast 40mph wind driven rain onto their radios after 6' drops on all sides on cement.
I would certainly expect that performance and quite a bit more, for the price an occasional back rub wouldn't be out of the question.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:49 PM   #19
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
My original Radio was an AM double sideband made by Bendix, I could talk over 100 miles away on some days. Rules changed and I bought an Icom and have had them ever since, one was over 20 years old when I sold that boat. Never had a problem and don’t use many of the features. I did notice the Ted’s radio could reach further in going to Ft Pierce last year, perhaps the antenna.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:04 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktdtx View Post

A little off topic but I carried an aviation handheld in addition to a marine, thought being I could almost always communicate straight up.

Not a bad idea, especially if u are cruising many dozens of miles from traditional help. Or, are actually in a lifeboat and the PLB was lost. All that remains is what freq to use. So many to choose from.