Old 01-03-2019, 05:31 PM   #1
Guru

City: Savannah, Ga.
Vessel Name: Indigo Star
Vessel Model: 2006 Mainship 400
Mainship 400 - Only Entry Level Trawler for X sailor?

Hello,

I was wondering, if most people who buy a trawler are X sailors, would it not make sense for me just to be smart and skip all that wear and tear on my old body and just go right to a trawler ?

I mean I do love sailing and the peacefulness it offers but to be honest, I motored or motor-sailed most of the time and on a few rare occasions I would have weather that offered a really nice sail...but not all that much ...So...just saying...

I ask this because I just recently sold my sailboat with plans to shop for a larger "center cockpit" version (because it seems to offer more living space below") but that just brings me right back to the question above.....why get another sailboat ???

I understand that a powerboat is more expensive for fuel as compared to a sailboat so I thought if we focused our search on a single engine trawler at or around 40 ft we could afford the fuel and from what I see its about 4 GPH at 8 knots plus/minus...

And the Mainship 400 seems to be the only one I can find....but I do like that model a lot....

Any other used trawlers out there with a single diesel at 40 feet?

Jeff in Savannah Ga.
jefndeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 05:55 PM   #2
JLD
Guru

City: Delaware
While there are a lot of x-sailors, I would guess that the majority of trawler owners do not have a sailing background.

Whether it makes sense for you to jump to a trawler, is purely a personal decision that no one but you can make.

I have a sailing background,as well. If I am out on the sailboat, however, and I can't hoist the sails, I am extremely disappointed. When we had the larger sailboat, the only time we motored was in bad weather or running in the channel to return to the marina.

For me, when I make the jump to a powerboat, it will be made in large part by how I plan to use the boat. When I sailed, it was mostly day sailing, sometimes overnight, and rarely for a week or so. Except for the week-long trips, I really never ventured far from our home port.

For me, one of the advantages of a powerboat (be it a trawler, motor yacht, or other) is the ability to travel greater distances. This could be greater distances during the same time (15 knot cruise) or the ability to travel greater distances over extended time.

Jim
JLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 07:12 PM   #3
Guru

City: Sea of Cortez, Mexico
Vessel Name: Irene
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 40II
Hi Jeff,

That 40 Mainship has been a favorite of mine since it was introduced. I have read that there was a significant amount of input from Mainship 35/39 owners used in it’s development.

All of the active spaces aboard have a great view of the surroundings. You are only below to use the head, shower, or berth. The flybridge offers a great view, open air experience, tender stowage, maybe the kitchen option. The covered aft deck extends the salon, and can be enclosed. The lower helm makes line handling by the operator an easy chore. You have decent flexibility with economy vs. speed. The exterior is free of wood and should be quick to wash.

You could look at it’s predecessors, the 35/39 model range. There are some single engine Grand Banks and others out there. Most may not have the advantages of the 40 Mainship.

Best Wishes
Old 01-03-2019, 07:34 PM   #4
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
Most of the trawler owners I know have some form of sailing background.

I think your points about ease of use vs. sailing are valid, and a reason many of us would not own a sailboat anymore.

I have never owned a Mainship, but people that have seem to really like them.

Good luck with your search.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 07:36 PM   #5
Guru

Thanks for all the replys, keep them coming!!!
Old 01-03-2019, 09:10 PM   #6
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefndeb View Post
Hello,

And the Mainship 400 seems to be the only one I can find....but I do like that model a lot....

Any other used trawlers out there with a single diesel at 40 feet?

Jeff in Savannah Ga.
Jeff,

You'll find a lot of us that own the MS 400, and more that own the 34, 35, 39 that are very similar.

The 400 has a ton of features that make it an ideal light duty coastal cruiser, loop boat or tight live a board.

Attached is a article with the benefits of this boat and a 390/400 comparison of the additions.

Overall, a great boat...some of the great features:
Stairs, not ladders
French doors, not sliders
Complete walk around with most of it covered with an overhang.
Overhang great for storing toy above.
Very large flybridge, simple and easy with great electric grill
Salon, galley, lower helm all on one level, easy to maneuver around. Also, all open.
Lower helm with door for easy single handed docking.
Elect hookups both stern and bow
Great dry head with nice stand up shower/tub.
Very good engine access for the single. Outsides of the twin a tad tight.
And a host of other nice features.

Now, the bads.
With the single, it's a slow boat. Twin is pretty good
Main stateroom is a bit tight without a lot of storage.
It is NOT a bluewater ocean going vessel, but with cautious planning crossing the gulf, great lakes is totally doable.
While the design and materials are top drawer, the assemble was occasionally sloppy requiting a bit of re work, but not major.

Try it, you'll like it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Overall Mainship.pdf (3.48 MB, 133 views)
Old 01-03-2019, 11:06 PM   #7

City: Pensacola, FL
Vessel Name: Rain Dog
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
Quote:
There are a lot of trawlers over 40 ft available with a single engine. A few examples:

Kadey Krogen 42
Nordic Tugs 42
American Tug 41
Defever 40 and 41
Diesel Duck
Marine Trader
Bruce Roberts
Nordhaven
Pacific Trawler
Willard
Rain Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 01:23 AM   #8
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Dog View Post
There are a lot of trawlers over 40 ft available with a single engine. A few examples:

Kadey Krogen 42

Nordic Tugs 42

American Tug 41

Defever 40 and 41

Diesel Duck

Marine Trader

Bruce Roberts

Nordhaven

Pacific Trawler

Willard

Some good choices. I would choose any of the above over an Mainship 40, but others will have different opinions.

It depends what you want to use the boat for.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 07:12 AM   #9
Guru

City: Palm Coast
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
Not an x sailor here. Have always had powerboats.
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 07:51 AM   #10
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
I'm not so sure that most trawler owners are ex sailors. I did some bareboat sail charters and a bunch of dinghy sailing when I was younger before we bought our first trawler, but wouldn't have called myself a sailor at any time of my life. I owned/own center consoles and flats boats and would consider myself a fisherman first and foremost.

I enjoyed the bigger boat sailing I did, for the most part, but unless you are crossing a big body of water it seems kind of silly and a little boring after a while to keep going back and forth at 4 or 5 knots. Most sailboats in Florida that I see spend 90% of their time motoring, if they ever leave the dock.

We love our 400, though it is not without its shortcomings, and See Vee did a great job above explaining the pluses and minuses. Rain Dog's list mostly contains boats that are better quality and a good bit more money than Mainships, other than the Marine Trader. MT, in my opinion, compares to the older generation Mainships, but not the 400, which was built after 2002. We looked at Nordic Tugs before we bought our 400, and I know lots of people love them, but to me it didn't seem to be better build quality than Mainship but was a much higher price. Just my opinion.

You'll pay more for a 400 than a 390 and there are some very nice 390s out there, but it's a significant upgrade in almost all respects.

Hope that helps. If you get to the point where you have specific questions about the 400 (ours is a twin) I'm happy to help.
Dougcole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 07:56 AM   #11
Guru

City: Italy
Vessel Name: Didi Mau
Vessel Model: Currently looking for next boat
I am an ex sailor. If you think you will do a lot of blue water i woukd stick with a sailboat, otherwise, trawlers offer so much accommodation in comparison.

Like you i worried about fuel consumption. After nearly three years of ownership with a twin engine, 46-foot ocean Alexander, i have figured or that fuel is not a major factor. We are on or second winter aboard our boat. Twice we have traveled from Virginia to the Bahamas.

I would not go back to a sailboat as much as I enjoy sailing. We took or sailboat to the Bahamas in 2015 and figured motoring hours outnumbered sailing hours 10 to one.

And I dont think it makes a tremendous difference between one engine or two, as far as fuel consumption. I'd takes a given amount of energy to move a hulk of a given weight through the water. The differences will b be slight. Or 50k pound boat consumes about 5 gallons an hour going 8 - 8.5 knots. That number includes some generator time.

I think the bigger consideration between one engine and two, is the amount of room you will have in the engine room, and maneuverability in close quarters, like docking. I would enjoy engine room chores more if our boat had one engine making access easier.

Gordon
Gordon J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 12:00 PM   #12
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Two FWIWs:

We had one of the older Mainship 34s (a Mark III) and the 350/390 seemed to incorporate major input from 34 owners on how to improve. (If the 400 similarly incorporated user input, as said, that'd be a good thing.)

The 400 and the 430 were #2 and 3 on our short list when we bought our current boat. (Well, that was wifey's version. I'd have put the 430 first, but our choice worked out well.) Anyway, that was after shopping almost all major brands of "trawlers" available at the time -- and some other style -- and comparing expected value of each to our wallets at the time.

-Chris
Old 01-04-2019, 10:35 PM   #13
Arc
Guru

City: Long island
Vessel Model: Eastern
Take your Mainship out on a lively day and you are still a sailor
Arc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:48 PM   #14
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Two FWIWs:

We had one of the older Mainship 34s (a Mark III) and the 350/390 seemed to incorporate major input from 34 owners on how to improve. (If the 400 similarly incorporated user input, as said, that'd be a good thing.)

The 400 and the 430 were #2 and 3 on our short list when we bought our current boat. (Well, that was wifey's version. I'd have put the 430 first, but our choice worked out well.) Anyway, that was after shopping almost all major brands of "trawlers" available at the time -- and some other style -- and comparing expected value of each to our wallets at the time.

-Chris
What DO you have? Lol. Your profile only says 42' sporty.

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 03:56 AM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougcole View Post
I'm not so sure that most trawler owners are ex sailors. I did some bareboat sail charters and a bunch of dinghy sailing when I was younger before we bought our first trawler, but wouldn't have called myself a sailor at any time of my life. I owned/own center consoles and flats boats and would consider myself a fisherman first and foremost.

I enjoyed the bigger boat sailing I did, for the most part, but unless you are crossing a big body of water it seems kind of silly and a little boring after a while to keep going back and forth at 4 or 5 knots. Most sailboats in Florida that I see spend 90% of their time motoring, if they ever leave the dock.

We love our 400, though it is not without its shortcomings, and See Vee did a great job above explaining the pluses and minuses. Rain Dog's list mostly contains boats that are better quality and a good bit more money than Mainships, other than the Marine Trader. MT, in my opinion, compares to the older generation Mainships, but not the 400, which was built after 2002. We looked at Nordic Tugs before we bought our 400, and I know lots of people love them, but to me it didn't seem to be better build quality than Mainship but was a much higher price. Just my opinion.

You'll pay more for a 400 than a 390 and there are some very nice 390s out there, but it's a significant upgrade in almost all respects.

Hope that helps. If you get to the point where you have specific questions about the 400 (ours is a twin) I'm happy to help.
DougCole,

Question: Where did the "T" come in, as in 40T? Some have that designation and some don't. Is there something different with a "T" model?
Old 01-05-2019, 06:49 AM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by South of Heaven View Post
What DO you have? Lol. Your profile only says 42' sporty.
Yep, that's pretty much what it is. Maker calls 'em "Convertibles" but since that's a bit obscure I just put "Sportfish" on the labels.

Wifey preferred the interior width; the exterior sidedecks are higher, so there's less interior space lost to sidedecks as it is on the "Trawlers".

We still often run at 7-8 knots, though.

-Chris
Old 01-05-2019, 07:01 AM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougcole View Post

DougCole,

Question: Where did the "T" come in, as in 40T? Some have that designation and some don't. Is there something different with a "T" model?
Old 01-05-2019, 08:08 AM   #18
Guru

Great information....I was looking at Grand Banks as well but it seems that do not make a single engine at or around 40'???
Old 01-05-2019, 09:27 AM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Great information....I was looking at Grand Banks as well but it seems that do not make a single engine at or around 40'???

If you haven't already, you could read all the threads around here about single engines versus twins. Not huge differences in overall fuel consumption... overall horsepower being semi-equal. Most of the pros/cons of each aren't about fuel consumption.

-Chris
Old 01-05-2019, 09:44 AM   #20
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
I do think they made some 42s with singles but are extremely rare. I would caution you about GB. They are a little more money and the big deal to me is all of the exterior wood. If you like to maintain brightwork, have at it. They are some of the prettiest boats on the water. But all that wood is not for me.

I think everyone hit the highlights of the Mainship. I think they have some of the highest value in a boat....meaning a lot of boat for the money. You are also benefitting from a relatively new boat versus an older boat of the other brands mentioned....that or you are paying double to triple(and higher) of what the MS would cost. If you find value in the quality of those other boats, then they are great boats. But if you are a little more practical and have a good idea of how you are going to use the boat, the MS400 makes a LOT of sense. IOW, no need to get a Nordhavn or Krogen or Selene if all you are gonna do is put around doing weekend coastal cruising. And make no mistake, a MS400 can easily cruise the Bahamas and further down island. Good luck!!! Exciting times ahead.
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote