Good Marine VHF

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
that one is the classic civilian distress freq for aviation. Trouble is, exceedingly few non-airline planes are monitoring that freq. And, I'm not even sure airlines do great job monitoring that. I never did on all my overwater flights. Far more used are the FSS freqs and the unicom freqs for uncontrolled airports such as 122.7 and .8. In "busy" island space, you are on some approach freq; in the middle of nowhere in uncontrolled space, you are busy listening to lots of planes for a dozen miles around at multiple airports. Best to have a green book with the listings of the freqs being possibly used along with that airband radio.
I have an Icom A110 that I have considered putting in my next boat. But not really for emergencies.

Diver,

You're right to a point but 121.5 is still the frequency. Just recently no longer monitored from satellites but still WAY more monitored from airline and GA. And no one constantly monitors unicom, it would drive you nuts! I still monitor it in my plane, (and did as SOP in the airlines). And hear all kinds of conversation at times.

As for using it in a boat, I'd be surprised if you didn't get a response from someone.

SV: I agree with you, especially since I looked up the FCC mandate on the transfer of GA to 406, and it is not even close to complete. Last month, an additional 6 months of production (!) of 121.5 only is still allowed. I'm frankly shocked this has taken so long. With the transit sats no longer equipped with 121.5 capability, its' up to boats and aircraft to monitor in/on the 7 seas.

Saying that, it is rather challenging to fly island to island without a constant unicom monitor. Planes are all over, all types, and basically doing what they want. 122.8 was my window to traffic below 3000', where I did most island to island flights.

When I say "island to island"; this may not mean Freeport and Nassau, but places like little whale, farmers, pittstown, deep water, etc.

Last edited:
SV: I agree with you, especially since I looked up the FCC mandate on the transfer of GA to 406, and it is not even close to complete. Last month, an additional 6 months of production (!) of 121.5 only is still allowed. I'm frankly shocked this has taken so long. With the transit sats no longer equipped with 121.5 capability, its' up to boats and aircraft to monitor in/on the 7 seas.

Saying that, it is rather challenging to fly island to island without a constant unicom monitor. Planes are all over, all types, and basically doing what they want. 122.8 was my window to traffic below 3000', where I did most island to island flights.

When I say "island to island"; this may not mean Freeport and Nassau, but places like little whale, farmers, pittstown, deep water, etc.

Good point on the islands. Heck, I don't even know where half of those places are.

So this discussion brings the question: if one wants to guarantee voice communication in an emergency situation beyond the range of VHF what is recommended?

4125, 6215, 8291, and 12290 kHz are 24/7 monitored by USCG, although not necessarily all shore stations are 24hour monitor on all 4 freqs.

these are voice. But, you asked "guarantee", and that is the issue. Frequencies have to be picked carefully, and this depends on distance, time of day, sunspot cycle; so, non trivial, especially in an emergency.

So, in my mind "emergency, voice, non-VHF" leads to issues. Most folk head for satellite based services, and not necessarily voice.

So this discussion brings the question: if one wants to guarantee voice communication in an emergency situation beyond the range of VHF what is recommended?

Good question.

Probably a sat phone, or a VLF (very low freq) or a SSB, but only this first one is probably much more reliable, but at a price.

I have (2) Icom m506s and an Icom m605 in the pilothouse and a Standard Horizon gx2200 in the flybridge and one on the tender. Overall I far prefer the Icom radios but do feel the standard horizon is better for a tender with integrated GPS (and it’s white :)

Good question.

Probably a sat phone, or a VLF (very low freq) or a SSB, but only this first one is probably much more reliable, but at a price.

I agree on the satphone, I have an Icom m806 SSB and it seems finicky at best.

In the US, within a couple hundred miles of US shore or the Bahamas, set off an EPIRB or PLB and withim hours you can talk to a USCG C130 and if lucky a rescue helo circling overhead on anyVHF handheld unless you are in a Cat 3 hurricane or more.

Its been a while but I believe that if you operate an aviation band radio you need a license, you can't just grab one and start using it? You might have an argument if you have an emergency...but after the dust settles the FCC will get you.

Standard Horizon 2200 X2. Remote mike mounted by my head on the wheelhouse settee so I don't miss any calls (old ears thanks to my stint in aviation).

If you are inshore, use a VHF or a cell phone. If you are offshore, use an HF.

The biggest improvement I found in communications was gold-plated connectors and mil-spec cable for the antennae.

Its been a while but I believe that if you operate an aviation band radio you need a license, you can't just grab one and start using it? You might have an argument if you have an emergency...but after the dust settles the FCC will get you.

Standard Horizon 2200 X2. Remote mike mounted by my head on the wheelhouse settee so I don't miss any calls (old ears thanks to my stint in aviation).

If you are inshore, use a VHF or a cell phone. If you are offshore, use an HF.

The biggest improvement I found in communications was gold-plated connectors and mil-spec cable for the antennae.

No need for an aircraft license, if domestic. Internationally, you need one, but seems like an oxymoron, why would the US care if you fly (or boat) to a foreign country and talk to them?

Its pretty confusing. The FCC eliminated the need for both vessel and aircraft radio licenses if operated domestically AND only have VHF, and epirp. Once you have radar, HF or other(?), you need a STATION license.

And then there is the Restricted RadioTelephone OPERATORS permit. Needed for foreign operation of aircraft or boat radios. Some fine print here too on the types of radar allowed even domestically. Details here; NRE : Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit (RP)

One can dream up all kinds of whacky radio behavior that might fall in the crack. Like, how to talk between a US flagged aircraft and boat, while operating in the Bahamas. Seems like a minefield of regs to understand. I think everyone will agree there are overriding laws targeting abuse and interference.

Any opinion on a vhf that has an all channel scan? I need a new one for our tender to replace the Uniden President that has become unreliable.

Any opinion on a vhf that has an all channel scan? I need a new one for our tender to replace the Uniden President that has become unreliable.

I'd guess all decent current models will do that. Our previous ICOM 604s would, the current 605s will. It's a bit to set up the first time; I think it would mean "tagging" (or "remembering") each channel first. But then either "normal" or "priority" scan should work.

We routinely scan 7-8 channels on one radio, and 3-4 different channels on the other... but we could set either up to scan all existing channels if we wanted to.

I'd guess that's the same for the other brands...

-Chris

My only advice is to understand the scan rate. If, you actually are scanning 2 or 3 dozen channels, the radio has to lock on each, one at a time. Then look for squelch break. This takes time and you could easily miss a short call of 5 seconds on a scanned channel.
There are other scan designs that will make a short list of channels, called priority channels. Usually CH 16 or CH 9. For instance, every other channel switch would be to CH16. So, you won't miss a CH16 call.
Sometimes called dual watch, or priority scan channel.
More effective designs might even provide for a continuous, separate circuit for CH70/DSC and/or AIS1 and 2.

But, alas; you will be hard pressed to find out specs such as scan rate in the so-call specs section.

ps; per the last post. An important spec for boats with more than one VHF on board is Receiver desense performance. IOW; can I actually use more than one radio at a time, when one or more are transmitting. You may be unpleasantly surprised.

Last edited:
If one wants to guarantee voice communication in an emergency situation beyond the range of VHF what is recommended?
Say a prayer. If you're a believer, then you can trust that God will hear you. :)

Other than that, though, there is NOTHING that is "guaranteed." A sat-phone is probably the closest. Next would probably be an SSB; you can almost always find some band that is open enough for communications. But neither really comes close to "guaranteed."

We recently installed a Lowrance Link-8 at Sanderling's topside steering station. Was looking for a VHF with NMEA 2000 connection. The Link 8 also had AIS which I didn't need (have a dedicated VerperMarine AIS) but it is handy not having to program the lat/lon or set up a separate circuit.

Only problem for us is the microphone transmit button. It is positioned such that you have to use your right-hand forefinger rather than thumb,and consequently it sometimes doesn't get depressed sufficiently to actuate. It's mounted to the right side of the steering station, so it's natural to use right hand rather than the left. We're slowly getting used to it. Otherwise, it does what a VHF is supposed to do!

...several years ago i was going to buy a new icom, but read a bunch of reviews, that most said icom had some problems! at the seattle boat show, i asked a lady at the icom booth, and she said, yes, we have been having some problems! i had several icom ham rigs, but bit the bullet, and bought a top of the line STANDARD vhf, with dual channels, all the bellsn & whistles, etc...they have worked great for yrs!...clyde

Just went thru this exercise for new build. Look at Icom 506-31 (model without AIS). I purchased SH GX 6000 as I wanted multiple remote mics and have option to go wireless with up to 4 mics.

Just went thru this exercise for new build. Look at Icom 506-31 (model without AIS). I purchased SH GX 6000 as I wanted multiple remote mics and have option to go wireless with up to 4 mics. Good luck

After reading some of the reply's I thought that I'd offer my story.

I had been to a boat show in February and bought a Standard Horizon Radio along with other equipment, 1 being a Honda Generator.

I started wondering about the warranty issues, so I contacted the dealer for the Honda. After numerous back & forth they revealed that the Honda warranty started the day I bought the unit. I had stated that it would sit in my basement until the spring, which didn't make any difference. I RETURNED THE HONDA.

I then contacted SH on a Saturday, not expecting a reply, but I got 1 a short time later. I explained the same issue, that it would sit in my basement until spring. The person I was working with was a VP of SH. His reply to me was that the warranty would start in June and if I had any issues to contact him directly. He said that his equipment was of such quality that he wasn't concerned.

I never needed to contact him and have only purchased SH ever since.

Warranty is a big component of what I buy.

Mic and Receiver Unit

I have had a Stndard Horizon, then Icom, then Raymarine radio. All have been top-of-the-line units in their era and seem to have not been significantly different. Main item: the tallest antenna you can get. I have two 16-foot Shakespeare units on the GB32, Attached to the upper sides of the flybridge, this give me about 28 feet of antenna above the water. My last sailboat had 42, a real downgrade for me. Other factor: can you hear incoming conversation? One of my friends just told me that one company or another makes a microphone that also has a receiver in it. Considering that hearing impairments are a major problem with old fart trawler owners, it might be worth investigating. He could not remember the brand.

Other factor: can you hear incoming conversation? One of my friends just told me that one company or another makes a microphone that also has a receiver in it. Considering that hearing impairments are a major problem with old fart trawler owners, it might be worth investigating. He could not remember the brand.

Our older M604s did that, and the new M605s do, too. Don't know if that's a brand feature, or a model feature.

-Chris

At least a couple Standard Horizom radio mics act as speakers.....not sure if all do. Check specs sheet.

Last edited:
several of the ICOMS have speakers in the mic. Sailor radios have optional telephone style mics, top tier commercial radios.

In a previous life in law enforcement, we relied on Motorola and Uniden. I ran the devil out of an 18' I/O for 20+ years with a Uniden VHF - very rough outdoor exposed conditions. Current boat had two Icoms, both had issues with deteriorated mics and cords. Replaced with a pair of Uniden UM415's. Very happy. Having both a triple scan and selective scan we can enter a LOT of channels to scan which has been a huge benefit in busy seaways.

We have an I-Com M504 at the lower helm with the remote at the upper helm, and a SH GX2200 with AIS at the upper helm with a remote handset on the Aft Bridge deck, all scan and gives us many options, works real well for us on our Mainship 390

After reading some of the reply's I thought that I'd offer my story.

I had been to a boat show in February and bought a Standard Horizon Radio along with other equipment, 1 being a Honda Generator.

I started wondering about the warranty issues, so I contacted the dealer for the Honda. After numerous back & forth they revealed that the Honda warranty started the day I bought the unit. I had stated that it would sit in my basement until the spring, which didn't make any difference. I RETURNED THE HONDA.

I then contacted SH on a Saturday, not expecting a reply, but I got 1 a short time later. I explained the same issue, that it would sit in my basement until spring. The person I was working with was a VP of SH. His reply to me was that the warranty would start in June and if I had any issues to contact him directly. He said that his equipment was of such quality that he wasn't concerned.

I never needed to contact him and have only purchased SH ever since.

Warranty is a big component of what I buy.

Charles,

That is a very powerful post. A company that stands by their product is worth every penny you pay for their products.

All,
Thanks for all the posts on a new VHF.... gives me a lot of options.

I have had a SH handheld for over 20 years. The newer version has a different software number. I contacted SH about getting the software updated, Their reply was "if it works, don'bother.... but if you want send it in and we will update it. It works so I have not done anything, after 20 years.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom