Old 01-19-2014, 11:59 AM   #1
Guru

A Good Day Aboard

The following is a post I made last night on the Nordhavn Dreamers web-site which I thought some people considering buying a trawler may appreciate and see use as a little push to move on with your decision. I hope you enjoy!

Things are little quiet on the dreamers site this week so I thought a short post with the theme of "if we can do it, anyone can" was in order to help those with any doubts about testing the Nordhavn waters. For those who do not remember who we are, we previously owned N4050 and N4061 located in southern California and lived aboard (part time) for about five years until life hit us hard and we had sell the boat. Four years of medical issues didn't allow much time for dreaming but the little dreaming I did do combined with staying in touch with the new owners of N4061 and Jeff Merrill at PAE helped me get through some rough times.

Fast forward to earlier this year we decided it was time to try and get our lives back. A number of lingering medical issues would limit out ability to travel far in a car or airplane so the next best plan was another boat with all the comforts of home. N3522 became the answer as we slowly test the waters and see how far we can venture. Talk about therapy, amazing what can happen to someone who has been thru hell when they are able to think about something other than pain. The purchase process and refurbishment (mostly new interior) has been heaven sent for the both of us.

Today was only the forth time we were able to drive to San Diego and spend a couple of nights aboard. After the two hour drive we arrived at the marina and were welcomed with clear skies and 76 degree temperatures (warm for SD in January). The marina parking lot was full, like a summer weekend. After unloading the car and getting everything to the boat Mary was making the final touches to the interior when she said, "John, there are two guys outside the boat saying "that's a Nordhavn - beautiful boat". That never gets old. After awhile it was time to run to the local supermarket for weekend provisioning as well as picking up our favorite pizza from Pizza Nova. Back aboard dinner was complimented by a pitcher of margaritas while watching a DVD of Don Henley of the Eagles. After dinner a walk along the bay overlooking the million dollar view of nighttime lights of downtown San Diego followed by a visit to the fire rings, pool side at the marina. We returned back to the boat for a cozy night looking forward to a bay cruise and lunch while on the hook (first time) listening to some more music and just being thankful for another day with a little less suffering.

At the end of our dock is N68 that just returned from Mexico. As I look up at the pilothouse high above and think to myself how cool it would be to own such a boat, I think back to what another well respected Nordhavn owner and contributor to this site once said "the few is the same from the aft deck regardless of the size of your boat" (or something close to that). Its not just the view but the overall experience of just being aboard "your boat". It doesn't matter the size, year or make, it is just being there with someone special to share those moments. While we do not know what our future holds we are thankful for today and if some day we can point our bow south, then Cabo here we come! Few dreamers will face what we have and if we can take the chance to live our dream so can you. Waiting doesn't help anything except insure that you have a little less time. If you dream of owning a boat (any boat) my advise is to do it now even if it isn't the dream boat. The memories you will have will be priceless compared to the dreaming and a few extra savings which you may never be able to enjoy. OK, enough rambling from me for today beside the last song "Hotel California" is about over. I apologize if this was not the normal post but thought someone may appreciate the message.

I cannot express enough our gratitude to our good friend Jeff Merrill who helped us through the past 13 years and three boats. If not for Jeff we would never had experienced this great life style. We wish him the best in his new adventure.

John T.
N3522
La Tempestad
N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

City: PEI
Vessel Name: Sea Dog
Vessel Model: Jeaneau 21
Great post John. Very well expressed.I can relate to being at home on water,although on smaller boat. All the best,smooth sailing.
Seadog2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:23 PM   #3
Guru

City: Bayview
Vessel Name: Puffin
Vessel Model: Willard Vega 30
Well said sir!
Old 01-19-2014, 05:16 PM   #4
Guru

City: Tampa
Absolutely well said, and THANK YOU for an eye opener!
Certainly puts things in perspective.

As one who also feels more at home on the water than anywhere else, I can certainly relate.

Thank you for the post and we'll keep you and your family in our thoughts and prayers.

Safe voyages...

OD
Off Duty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:44 PM   #5
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Nice post.

Thank you for the inspiration !
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:12 PM   #6
Guru

City: Port Townsend
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Indeed, thanks for the post John. I recently found out some disturbing medical news. No "symptoms" yet, but it's there just the same lurking. Your post was well timed. Just do it comes to mind...

Cheers
dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:50 PM   #7
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Very nice, John. A great reminder for all of us. Carpe diem!

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:58 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
John

Thank you, your comments are a reminder to us all on the value of living today.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:07 AM   #9
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Thanks for a great reminder post John. It's nice to hear about your good day on the water. They are SOOOOO special. I recently was diagnosed with a medical condition that I refuse to let beat me or keep me from enjoying my time aboard.

Your comment about the view from the stern is so true. I'm on my 7th boat and this will be the biggest. Once I no longer feel comfortable handling this one we'll sell it and either downsize to a smaller (~28'er) that's trailerable or go to a land yacht (motorhome). Either way it will be something that's easier to handle and maintain.

Until then, life's too short to stay tied to the dock!
Old 01-20-2014, 12:05 PM   #10
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Reading this thread I am reminded of my fathers friend Taylor. You all know a "Taylor" I'm sure. Hard working, likable, never missed a day of work, healthy as a horse...

Taylor retired from the Navy after 22 years and went to work as a welder until age 65. He drove an F-250 pick-up with camper shell and a 12' aluminum boat on top. All his fishing gear and motor in the camper, ready to launch at a moments notice. Taylor was a bit of a legend among my fathers circle of friends and was known to launch that boat 2-3 times per week on average, fish all night and show up for work on time the next morning. A real fishing fool. His dream was to live on a lake with a boat docked at the house to spend the retirement years fishing daily if desired.

Taylor retired on a Friday and Saturday dad and his buddies went to visit, I tagged along. I listened to these guys talk and enjoy an afternoon fish fry congratulating him on finally making it. Monday morning the Navy was sending guys over to pack his house and Tuesday he was moving into that house by the lake, escrow closed the previous Monday. Lake house, new truck in the driveway with a new boat and outboard picked up that Saturday morning before we showed up. Plan was to splash his new boat Wednesday and we all would meet that next Saturday for a fish fry on the deck of his new house.

We all met that following Saturday as planned but not at the lake in Northern California, it was at a funeral chapel in San Jose. Taylor's wife called Monday to tell us he died in his sleep. That was well over 35 years ago but it made a huge impression on my young life.

The truth is none of us are guaranteed to wake up tomorrow. Plan for your future but don't forget to live today because these are the good old days.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:30 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
...The truth is none of us are guaranteed to wake up tomorrow. Plan for your future but don't forget to live today because these are the good old days.
Amen brother!
Old 01-20-2014, 02:33 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
...I recently was diagnosed with a medical condition that I refuse to let beat me or keep me from enjoying my time aboard....
You my friend, and those like you, are a true inspiration!!
Give 'em hell and whatever "it" is, we'll keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

Quote:
Until then, life's too short to stay tied to the dock!
Undoubtedly, one of the best quotes I've read recently!

Thanks for sharing your insights.

OD
Old 01-20-2014, 04:09 PM   #13
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
To paraphrase the old fishing adage-

"A bad day on the boat is better than a good day at the office"

John-glad to hear that things are continuing improve for you and your wife. Hope the boating life adds to the recovery! A boat is expensive therapy, but worth every penny!
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:03 PM   #14
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Carpe diem!
Means: 1. Complain daily, 2. Eat fish every day, 3. Seize the day??

Seriously, I wish you guys with health issues all the best, do all you can while you can. It can, and it will, be any of us.
This applies to all of us, well or not. "If within reason you can afford the time and the money for something you want to do, do it; the future is unpredictable"
Bruce
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:33 PM   #15
Guru

Thanks to everyone who responded to our post. Hopefully it will encourage those who have not yet tested the waters to do so soon before time runs out.

John T
N3522
La Tempestad
N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:25 AM   #16
Guru

We showed it to our close friends that have been on the wait and see fence. Then Dan's pacemaker started beeping due to a low battery. Battery is being replaced and they are sea trialing their dream boat on Thursday. Talk about a reality check! Timely post and sage advise for sure.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:32 AM   #17
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Excellent post, and so timely.

#1-
We were with family on Sunday for the NFC chanpionship game- as usual, we were eventually asked about living onboard; "doesn't it get cold", "don't you feel cramped", "is this your version of a midlife crisis?", and so on.

I offered the family passes for the boat show, and Bob (who has a love of boating, and really wants a boat capable of overnighting) stated that "I'll get a boat when I retire".

Our marina manager and I were talking late last year about life onboard, as his oldest had just jumped ship and abandoned the nest.

My question/answer to both was the same-
"Are you promised tomorrow?"

Bob's answer was that he needed to retire first.

The marina manager is moving aboard in 2 weeks. He got it.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:36 AM   #18
Guru

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Our Heaven
Vessel Model: 1997 4800 Navigator
What a great message. I shared this with my wife this morning, it really brings me great joy to know I have someone to share this with. We found our love of the water almost by mistake.
A few years ago, about six we decided that we wanted to enjoy some recreation. So we dived in and bought two brand new Polaris EFI 4x4, a toy hauler to enjoy them with when away from home and a flat bed to enjoy close to home. We ventured out several times with them. Long story short, my wife suffered from an injury (hit by a car - sever nerve damage from many years prior) that would not allow us to use the quads anymore. Doctor said if you continue using more than likely you will lose the use of your hand. The next day both were up for sale along with the toy hauler.
We asked ourselves, what could we do to enjoy the outdoors? Be able to spend quality time together? (of which you don't when your on a quad, motorbike, etc as you are on separate toys -which we didn't care for, we could spend a whole day together but not share much in the why of conversation) Share with our friends or family? How about boating?
I started on the net and after some research found Sport Craft Marina (a C-Dory dealer in Oregon). I told the salesman we would have to wait until the toy hauler sold. Well, no pressure but he knew someone that was in the market now for a toy hauler. He connected us and we bought a new boat from him. What a great experience, everything a new boating couple needs! Starting us on a journey that has stayed with us since. Two C-Dorys, a 17' Northeastern Dory and now the latest, 34' Tollycraft.
Many thanks to Tom and Ryan over there at Sportcraft! Our lives have certainly been enriched because of the time we have been able to enjoy on the water. More importantly with each other and now our four year old son.
“Try something you could fail at. We all do things that we can comfortably achieve, but rarely do we set the high bar one notch above what we think we can clear, and that’s what’s driving me on here.” Lieutenant Colonel Alastair Edward Henry Worsley MBE (4 October 1960 – 24 January 2016) Explorer
bshillam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:45 AM   #19
Guru

You are going to have to get him an air horn! Perfect job for him on foggy days.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:43 PM   #20
Guru

Man, this is an awesome thread! One of the best I've seen in a while.

Very touching and motivating at the same time.

Thanks to the OP and those who have contributed.
More please

OD