Old 11-25-2015, 06:47 PM   #81
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Well put, John! Happy Thanksgiving to you and Maria!

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 06:34 PM   #82
Veteran Member

City: Western MD
Oh my, I wish you well and I appreciate your post. (Sure is helping get me off my do-loop of thoughts....)
Herderings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 01:34 PM   #83
Guru

Hello all, its great to see this thread still listed and the occasional posts. Looking back at what we wrote just a few years ago confirms just how fast time flys and how much less time we all have. I just posted a short summary of my day trip to the Seattle Boat Show under our thread about the new boat build (Manufactures / Custom Builds & Retro-fits / Contract Signed) which some may find interested. The real "take away" for me was realizing (again) why we love boating. For us its just the "State of Mind" we get when our feet leave the dock and step aboard the boat. It's like stepping into a different world which allows us to leave all our worries and troubles behind. The people you meet in and around boats are usually up-beat and nice (hopefully feeling a similar state of mind) and always willing to lend a hand. We cannot wait for the boat to deliver in May.

John
N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 04:12 AM   #84

City: Greenwell Point
Vessel Name: Suu Kyi
Vessel Model: Custom 40' catamaran
First post here; but have read many threads over the last couple of weeks. I decided to make my first post here rather than the thread that's dedicated to telling people who you are/what you play aboard, etc., because for me this thread is the guts why one would want to own a boat. And owning and sailing/driving one now. Tomorrow definitely is not promised us, and I have lived all of my life so far knowing this is true. Thanks so much to the OP.

"Time flies? One cannot; they fly too fast!" Thanks to everyone here.
Kit_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 04:33 AM   #85
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard.
Old 04-22-2016, 10:10 AM   #86

City: Bainbridge Island
Vessel Name: Mahalo
Vessel Model: 2018 Hampton Endurance 658
I really liked the quote that BallardPilot added to this thread. Very apropos as I found last night a friend died, way before his time. Created this for all of us.
Attached Thumbnails
you_are_never_ready_1200.jpg  
JustBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 12:13 PM   #87
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Thanks for dredging up this thread. Some time ago I made the decision to "go for it" and take a very early retirement. As the final day approaches (3 more weeks!) I've been watching for quotes that might make this financially foolhardy decision a little less scary.

I'll admit to some Nordhaven dreams, too, but short of a lottery win (and I don't play) that ain't gonna happen. Still, I think we can all take something away from the sentiments expressed here.

Here's the latest addition to the wall in my office:

A ship in harbor is safe.
But that is not what ships are built for.
- John A. Shedd
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 10:31 AM   #88
Guru

Retirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Thanks for dredging up this thread. Some time ago I made the decision to "go for it" and take a very early retirement. As the final day approaches (3 more weeks!) I've been watching for quotes that might make this financially foolhardy decision a little less scary.

I'll admit to some Nordhaven dreams, too, but short of a lottery win (and I don't play) that ain't gonna happen. Still, I think we can all take something away from the sentiments expressed here.

Here's the latest addition to the wall in my office:

A ship in harbor is safe.
But that is not what ships are built for.
- John A. Shedd
Excellent post, thank you for sharing with everyone on TF. You are were we wish to be "able to retire" and made the decision to enjoy life aboard a boat. You didn't wait any longer, you have begun the best of dreaming - the journey. Best of luck and enjoy life.

Possibly someday in the future we will see you on the water

John T.
N4050, N4061, N3522 - former owner
Helmsman 38E - Under construction
Old 05-04-2016, 03:31 PM   #89

City: Hendersonville, TN
Vessel Name: REMEDY
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 34 DC
Great post and it has been over two years. Is there an update on John?
bgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:10 PM   #90
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Fortunately, can't say I've had a bad day aboard the boat.

Old 05-07-2016, 11:17 AM   #91
Guru

Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGRIFFIN View Post
Great post and it has been over two years. Is there an update on John?
wi

A quick update: last November we signed a contract to build our next trawler with Scott Helker at Waterline Boats in Seattle. Scott and his wife Lisa are the owners of the Helmsman line of semi-displacement trawlers. Our journey and decision process can be found here on the Trawler Forum under Custom Builds / Major Retro-fits, Contract Signed New Build Underway.

Its been an interesting journey already partially redesigning the boat and the anticipation continues to build as the boat is less than two months from arriving.

John T.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:02 PM   #92
Guru

A Good Day

It's been awhile since I posted anything on this thread and to be honest feel a little guilty posting in light of the recent and current weather issues on the central and east coasts. Yesterday was just one of those crazy days running between work and the new townhome we just purchased in downtown SD. After dinner and a couple of margaritas I told Mary I was going for a boat ride and catch the sunset. I uncovered the dingy and started up the engine (no rowing today) before casting off the lines and setting up some music on my phone and little JBL speaker. Before long I was heading out of the marina around the restaurants to the bay listening to some great tunes. As I stretched out and watched the sun set behind the coastal marine layer I thought to myself "Life is good" and slowly headed home wishing we had an extra 30 minutes of day light. Simple times like these are just another part of boating we enjoy.

Enjoy the balance of summer as the days are beginning to get shorter very quickly.

JT
Old 09-07-2017, 08:41 PM   #93
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
I'll update too. My last post was 3 weeks before my retirement. In the 15 months since then, I spent three months doing the Down East Loop, completely rebuilt my kitchen from the ground up, finishing up the dining room now, did two deliveries for about 2,500 nautical miles and got a lot of small jobs done around the yard and boat.

Just completed a review of my budget for the past 12 months, and I'm about where I expected, maybe a little ahead.

No regrets yet. My favorite saying is still:
Nobody ever lay on their death bed saying "I wish I'd spent more time at the office."
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 07:33 AM   #94

City: Huntsville
Wonderful post!
May you find Cobo soon.
Scottb4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:00 PM   #95
Veteran Member

City: Apalachicola
Vessel Name: Grand Apalach
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 32
What a great thread. I am inspired. Our plans are a second retirement for me in the coming year. Working on our land-base, a small gulf cottage in Apalachicola, Fl. Then a small trawler for cruising the Gulf, the Keys and the East coast. To infinity and beyond......
averybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:08 PM   #96
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I'll update too. My last post was 3 weeks before my retirement. In the 15 months since then, I spent three months doing the Down East Loop, completely rebuilt my kitchen from the ground up, finishing up the dining room now, did two deliveries for about 2,500 nautical miles and got a lot of small jobs done around the yard and boat.

Just completed a review of my budget for the past 12 months, and I'm about where I expected, maybe a little ahead.

No regrets yet. My favorite saying is still:
Nobody ever lay on their death bed saying "I wish I'd spent more time at the office."

Great post!
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 04:35 PM   #97

City: Victoria
Vessel Name: Senang Sakali
Vessel Model: North Sea 37
3325iClick image for larger version

Name:	1511908507974.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	70783
senangsekali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 09:37 PM   #98
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by averybill View Post
What a great thread. I am inspired. Our plans are a second retirement for me in the coming year. Working on our land-base, a small gulf cottage in Apalachicola, Fl. Then a small trawler for cruising the Gulf, the Keys and the East coast. To infinity and beyond......
Wifey B: Oh....I should resist, but I can't....I love that place.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:17 PM   #99
Veteran Member

City: Apalachicola
Vessel Name: Grand Apalach
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 32
Too funny WifeyB. We love the place and the song. If you guys are passing through let us know. We are constantly boat stalking on the docks. For that matter all trawler forum members are welcome.
averybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 07:26 PM   #100
Guru

I haven't posted to this thread for a while and thought this was the right time. As I mentioned earlier on my Helmsman thread buying the boat was part of a long range plan that includes retirement. While retirement is still on the horizon a few more years last month we made another major step in that direction. We sold our large home which we built 17 years ago and purchased a small townhome in downtown San Diego only eight minutes from the boat. This sure beats the 90 mile drive we were use to. Step by step!