Old 03-19-2015, 08:08 PM   #61

City: Leesburg, VA
Eat things the come from a plant, not made in a plant.

ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:43 PM   #62
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I could never forgo sausage, mustard and IPA.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:54 PM   #63
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
I could never forgo sausage, mustard and IPA.
I've made my own sausage and IPA, mustard comes in a jar.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:58 PM   #64
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
You can try and live forever but it's better to live and enjoy today rather than sitting in a rocking chair and living 20 years more and watching people enjoying their life in the years you were too busy cutting out vices.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:35 PM   #65
Guru

Ipa?
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:44 PM   #66
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Ipa?
India Pale Ale

Old 03-29-2015, 06:35 PM   #67

City: Clear Lake Shores,Tx
Vessel Name: In Disguise
Vessel Model: 1985 Mainship 40 DC
Thanks for the inspiration! I've been lurking here for awhile and up until last week was waiting for the "right time"....my wife and I decided that the "right time" may never come along, so, long story short.....We're selling a couple of assets and as of April 24th,this year, once the funds hit the bank, the "right time" is "RIGHT NOW"!.. Thank you for helping us know we've made the right decision!
wyoboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 07:45 PM   #68
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoboater View Post
Thanks for the inspiration! I've been lurking here for awhile and up until last week was waiting for the "right time"....my wife and I decided that the "right time" may never come along, so, long story short.....We're selling a couple of assets and as of April 24th,this year, once the funds hit the bank, the "right time" is "RIGHT NOW"!.. Thank you for helping us know we've made the right decision!
Good on you!

I've helped people search for the right boat after they have retired only to see that after they get it and fix it up they have to give up their dream because they waited to long and can't physically live out their dream. In some cases it's due to health issues that come up and keep them tied to shore for medical services.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 01:37 AM   #69
Guru

City: Las Vegas/Portland
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Selene 47
I was 18 and off the coast of Vietnam, launching A-6 off the pointy end an hoping that not only the crew and plane would return to the Connie.....but that I'd wake up tomorrow morning to do it all over again. Lost a lot of aircrew and many crewmembers during that time and on the way home many months later, I told myself, I hope I make it to enjoy a long life.

18 years later, found myself in the midst of Desert Storm and thought, I hope this one isn't as bad as Vietnam. Considering all the conflicts in between Vietnam and the Sandbox, I guess I was lucky, the same couldn't be said for many that didn't come home. I may not remember their names, but I remember their faces and the dreams they had. It's a shame this one has lasted as long as it has, cuz it's my Grandkids that may end up in this one.

I just closed on the sale of my business and now 60, hope to move forward with the Admiral and escape to a little cove for a day or so wherever that cove is, and be grateful that we can. I've paid attention to all those that have influenced me over the years, most of them very positive. Most of them waited too long to retire and enjoy the remaining years.

I also have been fortunate to have Jeff Merrill as not only a friend, but he gets it and his patience has helped us to find the "right boat". Sorry it's taken this long Jeff.

Yep, I move a lot slower, don't see as well at night and can't hear like I use to. I take more breaks now and maybe enjoy that cocktail and a cigar a little more when we are sitting on the fly bridge watching the world turn, but we paid our dues and it's now " our time"!

Your time is when you pull the plug and decide to make the change. I wish you all the best and when you sit back and reflect on your life....I hope you can say....

"It's now our time" , now I hope I live long enough to see it through.

John & Tracey
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 01:48 PM   #70
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty Chief View Post
I was 18 and off the coast of Vietnam, launching A-6 off the pointy end an hoping that not only the crew and plane would return to the Connie.....but that I'd wake up tomorrow morning to do it all over again. Lost a lot of aircrew and many crewmembers during that time and on the way home many months later, I told myself, I hope I make it to enjoy a long life.

18 years later, found myself in the midst of Desert Storm and thought, I hope this one isn't as bad as Vietnam. Considering all the conflicts in between Vietnam and the Sandbox, I guess I was lucky, the same couldn't be said for many that didn't come home. I may not remember their names, but I remember their faces and the dreams they had. It's a shame this one has lasted as long as it has, cuz it's my Grandkids that may end up in this one.

I just closed on the sale of my business and now 60, hope to move forward with the Admiral and escape to a little cove for a day or so wherever that cove is, and be grateful that we can. I've paid attention to all those that have influenced me over the years, most of them very positive. Most of them waited too long to retire and enjoy the remaining years.

I also have been fortunate to have Jeff Merrill as not only a friend, but he gets it and his patience has helped us to find the "right boat". Sorry it's taken this long Jeff.

Yep, I move a lot slower, don't see as well at night and can't hear like I use to. I take more breaks now and maybe enjoy that cocktail and a cigar a little more when we are sitting on the fly bridge watching the world turn, but we paid our dues and it's now " our time"!

Your time is when you pull the plug and decide to make the change. I wish you all the best and when you sit back and reflect on your life....I hope you can say....

"It's now our time" , now I hope I live long enough to see it through.

John & Tracey
Great post, John! Thanks for putting it up for all to see and glad that you've reached this point to where you can enjoy the enjoy the life you've dreamed of. We're all very blessed to be able to chase our own dreams.

Old 08-15-2015, 06:24 PM   #71
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Send a message via Skype™ to siestakey
FW

Thanks so much for reposting this and John thank you so much for posting and your service to our country

FW yes we are so very blessed to be able to chase our dreams and I try so hard not to take it for granted.
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 06:40 PM   #72
Guru

A long lasting post

Its hard for me to believe that I made this post over 1 1/2 years ago and it continues to invite others who share similar stories. We have not posted here lately since changing courses a few times after selling N3522. We came close to building a mid-size semi-custom boat but instead opted for a small second home in San Diego and giving that a try. It didn't take more than a month of walking from the house to the water and realizing how much we miss being on the water. After a year of long walks along the waters edge we decided again that life is too short not to be ON the water so here we go again...

The beach house went up for sale two weeks ago and we find ourselves planning the next boat. A few things have changed for us as I look forward to retirement in 5 years (hope I make it) and realize that the 401K needs a little more attention so we will be working with a smaller boat budget which actually sounds less stressful. The next boat will be simpler (like the N35) but of the highest quality and value we can find providing for an interesting search. We prefer new over used which makes the search that more difficult. Another aspect of the next boat is that it needs to be small enough to truck from SD to Texas so we can do the Intercoastal up to the Northeast in the future. We have no desire to cross an ocean or spend many nights cruising. Just want to be aboard and enjoy the coast line.

In case anyone was wondering we are still in touch Jeff Merrill who is helping us along (again).

John T.
N4050, N4061, N3522
N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 07:04 PM   #73
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
John, as you know perhaps better than anyone, it's entirely possible to change boats. Rather than one boat that can cruise the west coast, east coast, and be truckable between the two, consider buying a boat on teh east coast, cruising there until you are ready for a change, then sell it and get a boat on the west coast. No boat serves all purposes, so perhaps optimize for whatever adventure is next?
Old 09-05-2015, 07:13 PM   #74
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
Good luck in your search! keep us up to date.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 01:04 PM   #75

City: Baytown, Texas
Vessel Name: Islander
Vessel Model: Prairie 36
I read this thread a year ago and it, among other things, helped me decide it was time to retire, get the boat and live another life for awhile while we (the wife & I) are still young enough. We're 57 and still pretty active, the boat is 38 years old and needs work but I love doing that sort of thing and now have time for it. I have already lost 15 pounds and am feeling fine so it's working out so far.

Kevin
tallswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 10:17 AM   #76
Guru

how is new boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallswede View Post
I read this thread a year ago and it, among other things, helped me decide it was time to retire, get the boat and live another life for awhile while we (the wife & I) are still young enough. We're 57 and still pretty active, the boat is 38 years old and needs work but I love doing that sort of thing and now have time for it. I have already lost 15 pounds and am feeling fine so it's working out so far.

Kevin
Kevin, how are you enjoying the boat and the restoration project?
Old 10-04-2015, 12:28 PM   #77

City: Baytown, Texas
Vessel Name: Islander
Vessel Model: Prairie 36
So far I've spent quite a bit of time and bucks getting both engines running fine and sorting out systems like electrical, fuel and cooling but it's coming along. We've had the boat out for bottom job, props and some thru hulls but the hull had no blisters and was in good shape. Lot's more to do to get it ready for "The Loop" but we have taken the boat out a few times and had friends out on the boat including a dock party, so there is fun as well as work going on. What is life all about but that?

Kevin
tallswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 09:20 PM   #78
Veteran Member

City: Michigan City, Ind
Crusty Chief; I was there with you on Connie. Not "on" her, but behind you. First on a "heavy" cruiser, then on a can, covering your six. 66-67, then again 74-75. My wife says I look back on those times as "the good ole days." BTW I stated on another posting I was 70% DAV. Just got raised another 10% to 80. Sounds like you went over 19-6.? Congrats.
Wanderin Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:48 PM   #79
Guru

One Step Closure

Its been one month since we closed on the house and getting closer to narrowing the field of next boat. While we took a very hard look at Nordhavn including used boats up to 50' we reconfirmed we want a new build in the 35-40' range and a semi-displacement type hull. The boat and builder needs to be of highest quality and best value (what a concept?). We will stay away from a fully custom build due to the value proposition not equaling up for us. Biggest issue now is balancing my desire for simplicity and Mary's demand for comfort. Life is never easy so why should selecting a boat? if all goes well we should make our decision within the next few weeks and post here for anyone interested in following our decision process.

John T. N4050, N4061, N3522 - Former Owners
Old 11-25-2015, 07:36 PM   #80
Guru

What Matters Most - Happy Thanksgiving

Looking back at this original post and thinking about where we are today it is worth mentioning that for us, having our health is what really matters not the type of size of the boat. If one is really fortunate having your health and the ability to spend time on the water (regardless of the type of boat) equals the best of both worlds. For this Thanksgiving we count our blessings for Maria to be healthy enough to get back on the water. The new boat is only icing on the cake.

Happy Thanksgiving!!

John T.