Old 06-01-2017, 07:50 PM   #1
Guru

City: Palm Coast
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
The good, the bad and the wish list! Bahamas trip.

I just returned from the Bahamas yesterday. I'm finding it hard to get back into the swing of things. After living on the boat for the better part of 3 weeks, my house is enormous and I wonder why I need it. A condo is looking better and better.
I traveled to Stuart from Palm Coast in 4 days. A couple of 10 hour days to make the push for the weather window for the crossing. The crossing was great until the other side off the Gulf Stream. his is where stabilizers would be nice. It was a 13 hour crossing traveling at 6.5 knots on average.

West End was beautiful as usual. Got hung up there for 2 days because of weather I was uncomfortable with. No one moved. Went on to Freeport the next day. I did not enjoy taking 4-5 foot waves starboard, but she handled it well. I planned my haul out two days later. Bottom Paint, some topside paint and a wax. If anyone needs a yard and work done, Charlton Knowles Marina is stellar. You can also do other work on your boat yourself at his yard.

The Bahamas were badly hit by hurricane Matthew. It was a shame to see all the devastation in Freeport and Port Lucaya. The people were not as friendly as I remember. Quite understandable given what they are living with. However, everyone at the yard were very nice.

Only 1 glitch on the return. Left West End in the wee hours of the morning while still dark. Just got out of the channel and began to over heat. Impeller. After a quick change, I was underway. Seas were flat and it was a glorious 10 hour crossing at 9.0 knots on average. Lesson here? Change my impeller every 50 hours whether it needs it or not. Love auto pilot. Set my course for Fort Pierce. Totally love Fort Pierce City Marina. Took my time on the way back. A total of 6 days with one on the outside. Made the mistake of coming into Sebastian Inlet. I won't do that again.

I found my driving sweet spot, 5-6 hours a day.

After cleaning her inside and out, I locked the door and she is resting waiting her 100 hour oil change which I plan to do this weekend. She served me well and I shall serve her well. I love Southerly more and more everyday!
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:00 PM   #2
Guru

I understand the process you are going through. When we returned from our 4 month trip, we were glad to be home but the thought of simplifying is appealing!
You are not alone.
Sounds like you made a good trip out of your yard visit.
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:17 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Sounds like a great time. Congrats
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:19 PM   #4
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
50 hours on an impeller is way low. What condition was the old one? Can you post a pic?
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:28 PM   #5
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
I wouldn't change impeller at 50 hrs. Once per year should be plenty and keep the takeouts as spares as long as no broken vanes. Check cam in pump.

Sounds like you had a grand trip.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:29 PM   #6
Guru

I replaced the impeller before the trip with a new one that was on the boat when I purchased it. In fact, there were 3 new ones. The boat sat 18 months before I purchased it, so the impellers may not have been in the best of condition, possibly some dry rot that I did not pick up on.

As soon as I figure out how to post pictures, I'll post how beautiful she came out! I posted a couple of pictures a few months back and can't for the life of me remember how. Over the next few days, I'll figure it out.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:02 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Impellers age even in the box. My boat had about 8 impellers in it for spares when I bought it. I bought new ones and installed them so I had a baseline on their age. 50 hours is way low. I put 200 hours on mine last year. I changed them this spring and they looked brand new. I am now going to a 2 year replacement schedule since at 200 hours they were perfect coming out of the pumps. I would suspect that your replacement impellers were quite old to start with.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:44 PM   #8
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Glad you enjoyed the trip.

We entered at Lucaya. Yes, it is a bit desolate, but I am sure it will come back.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 11:02 PM   #9
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Date impellers when purchased and toss them out if not used in a reasonable time. The benefits vs the risk are not worth it.

Glad you enjoyed your trip. In a way it's good you had some less than ideal conditions as it gives you more confidence in your boat and it's ability to handle them. Not that you want to test your luck, but there are always times you'll get caught.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 11:31 PM   #10
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Welcome back to the real world and the let down that always accompanies that return. I hear what you are saying about the size of your house. I feel the same and am just as comfortable in our 1000 sq.ft condo in AZ as I am in our house in WA that's more than twice that big.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:32 AM   #11
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Glad the trip overall was great.

Sebastian...holy cow...brave skipper, it scared me in my dingy and I never got near the bridge!

Probably every year for an impeller is more than fine. I put 500 hrs on mine this year no sweat and another 200 wouldnt bother it a bit. Ones in a package and not in high ozone or other corrosive environments should last years as spares, certainly longer than needed as replacements unless you have 5 or 6 aboard.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 06:58 AM   #12
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
The good, the bad and the wish list! Bahamas trip.

Just watched some videos of Sebastian, Ft Pierce and Jupiter inlets, and some of them look really bad. I sat near the jetty last time I was in Ft Pierce and watched the boats getting through that inlet on an outgoing tide and it also looked sporty. I don't remember the Texas inlets I've been in at Port Aransas and Port O'Connor being that rough. Maybe they are deeper inlets.

I know nothing about all the inlets in Florida. Which ones are to be avoided on a slow boat like mine? Do all Florida inlets need to be timed so the tides never oppose the winds, or are some deeper and not as bad?
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 07:05 AM   #13
Guru

Yea Sebastian and no never again! LOL! Scary! Could only get up to about 2 knots. No thank you!

I'm thinking the impellers may have sat unopened for around 8-9 years judging from previous owners maintenance records, which are hit or miss.
Old 06-02-2017, 07:08 AM   #14
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. 01. Guide to Navigating Florida Inlets & Water Channels

This is just one person's opinion but a quick skim confirms what little I know about some of the inlets....
Old 06-02-2017, 07:54 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Have not done the Florida inlets but have done many on the northern Pacific and they can get downright interesting to say the least.
Old 06-02-2017, 07:59 AM   #16
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
IMHO, Sebastian is the worst inlet in FL for a slow boat and not much better for a fast boat.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:47 AM   #17
Guru

City: LI or Fla
Congrat's on a great trip!
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 08:50 AM   #18

City: Rapid City, SD heading back to the PNW
I was told by a friend down the dock, that he vacuum packs all his smaller rubber spares, says they last longer that way.
mramoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:41 AM   #19
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Just a nice rule of thumb, when boating in new or unfamiliar areas especially, the inlets at commercial ports are your safest bet. Beyond that look carefully at what others have written. Active Captain often has very good information on inlets.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 02:48 PM   #20
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Buy one new impeller every year, date it. Have 2 spares on board. Replaces the impeller every year with your oldest spare.

Don't save used parts as spares. Have new parts as spares and rotate them into use based on engine hours or age (calendar years).

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote