Old 02-15-2017, 02:51 PM   #1

City: Goldsboro NC
Vessel Name: Voyager
Vessel Model: 41' PT Europa
Good and Bad repair yards

Any recommendations on reasonable boat yards between Blue Hill Maine and North Carolina as well as any to avoid.
I'm moving a single screw trawler that's been on the hard for three years. I'll probably need all the help I can get.

Thanks
Propnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 03:11 PM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Lots of good reasons to wait a few months. Might want to identify size, make and engine manufacturer as not everybody can haul or work on everything.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 03:18 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Lots of good reasons to wait a few months. Might want to identify size, make and engine manufacturer as not everybody can haul or work on everything.

Ted
Also, what kind of help are you looking for? Mechanical, fiberglass, shipwrights etc.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 07:45 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Also, what kind of help are you looking for? Mechanical, fiberglass, shipwrights etc.
You forgot refrigerator repair!

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 07:57 PM   #5
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
For God's sake don't break your Anchor.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:05 PM   #6
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. P. About 6 years back I had very good service from the Hinckley (sp?) yard in Thunderbolt GA. Right on the ICW. About 3 years back had work done at AYB in Chesapeake, VA. Again, right on the ICW. Excellent shipwrights...Mechanics, not so much. Sorry that's the most recent I have experienced.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:08 PM   #7
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propnut View Post
Any recommendations on reasonable boat yards between Blue Hill Maine and North Carolina as well as any to avoid.
I'm moving a single screw trawler that's been on the hard for three years. I'll probably need all the help I can get.

Thanks
Can't help you for Maine but from Massachusetts through New Jersey Brewer has a lot of yards so one near most any place you need one. Hope you've gotten tow membership. Now, the one caveat on Brewer is that they've recently been acquired by Safe Harbor Marinas. As always they say it won't impact anything. Safe Harbor is now the largest owner of marinas. They're out of Texas. This is their second time around as operating under another name they previously went bankrupt.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:13 PM   #8

Cant help with a particular yard, but on Steve D'antonio's website, he recently wrote a pretty good article on what to look for, and how you should write up the contracts.
tinped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:25 PM   #9
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Aweigh
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Deltaville Boat yard in VA is one of the good ones.
seasalt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:29 PM   #10

City: Lottsburg, Va
Vessel Name: Amazing Grace
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 52 Sedan
In Deltaville, I'd recommend Zimmerman's. They are not inexpensive, but I have used 3 yards in Deltaville and Zimmerman's is the best of the bunch.
bnoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 09:11 PM   #11
Guru

City: Sydney
Just out of interest what do shipwrights...Mechanics charge $$$$ per hour other there ?
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 10:12 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
Just out of interest what do shipwrights...Mechanics charge $$$$ per hour other there ?
In our area, depending on yard and on specific service, it runs from $80 per hour to $130 per hour. Now, jobs like scraping the bottom or sanding it may run less, as low as $55 or $60.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:48 AM   #13

City: Watch Hill RI
Vessel Name: Puffin
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
There are hundreds of marinas and boat yards from Maine to North Carolina. Subscribe to "ActiveCaptain" (free), and check their reviews. After sitting on the hard for 3 years, I assume you're going through the boat making sure all systems are ready to go before you leave. You don't want to be performing repairs and maintenance while in-transient.
Puffin_NT32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 11:14 AM   #14
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
I had a lot of work done at Georgetown Yacht Basin on the Sassafras River on the Upper Chesapeake. I would use them again for anything major but they are a bit too far everyday service. Reasonable? For technicians most yards on the Chesapeake charge from $95-$105/hour. Our marina charges $70/hour for unskilled labor. I don't think you will find much variation in these rates on the East Coast but perhaps so down in North and South Carolina, I don't know. In any case, I am always truly amazed at the number of folks who inquire on the forum looking for "reasonable" rates. Yacht yards have huge investments in plant and equipment. Add in the labor cost of good technicians, infrastructure maintenance and upgrading, electricity, etc, etc, and one should quickly realize that, while the nominal rates seems excessive, these yards would not be here for us unless they are able to turn a decent profit. Over the past year our Marina has rebuilt two bathroom/shower buildings, installed extensive new brick walkways, dredged some of the fairways, and is in the process of replacing decking on the piers.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 11:44 AM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
. In any case, I am always truly amazed at the number of folks who inquire on the forum looking for "reasonable" rates. .
To me, reasonable rates is getting it correct the first time and always standing behind their work. I'm willing to pay for expertise and performance. Saving a little on the labor rate but having a less dependable person, never pays.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:49 AM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
To me, reasonable rates is getting it correct the first time and always standing behind their work. I'm willing to pay for expertise and performance. Saving a little on the labor rate but having a less dependable person, never pays.
I believe the saying is, "penny wise, pound foolish".
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 12:12 PM   #17
Guru

City: Tavernier, FL
Vessel Name: Volans
Vessel Model: 2001 PDQ MV 32
We didn't get work done there but we got fuel and chatted with a couple boats finishing up repairs who couldn't say enough about the place: Atlantic Yacht Basin in Great bridge VA.

The fuel was cheap...

We just splashed after a week long haul at sail harbor marina here in Savannah. It's the least expensive option around for doing your own work. They were a little lax with scheduling...
Gabe n Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 12:28 PM   #18
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Yards can hire and lose talent in a season.

Ones with great reputations not so much.... and are better about standing behind their work or doing it right the first time.

If I was going to leave my boat on the hard for 3 years, I would narrow down yards based on external support to the yard and how it affects me also...like temporary places to stay, climate and whether they had the areas, buildings to do the work the boat needed, etc.

I would also take a drive and personally visit the top 5 or so and check things out myself before even moving the boat.

The best yard could be around the corner.

It would be rare for anyone here to have more than a handful of yards that they have personal experience with on a large scale....plus recency....so posts, ads and personal investigation will be the best answer.

The only yard I used south of NJ in years was Ross Marine just south of Charleston.

That was 5 years ago...but they are one of those older yards with a good rep. Plus Charleston is one of my favorite places along the ACIW.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 12:46 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post

The only yard I used south of NJ in years was Ross Marine just south of Charleston.

That was 5 years ago...but they are one of those older yards with a good rep. Plus Charleston is one of my favorite places along the ACIW.
I mentioned those north of NJ as if the boat has been on the hard for three years, it's going to need significant work before going anywhere and likely to need more fairly quickly in getting it back to good operating condition. Hopefully by the time he gets beyond NJ he will have dealt with most of the problems.

Two I'd mention in NC are Jarrett Bay and Bennett Brothers in Wilmington. I have a cousin who uses Jarrett Bay for all his service but I know of others looking for one time service who have run into extended waits.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:50 PM   #20
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Said much better than I.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote