Golden Rod dryers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nordic Star

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Nordic Star
Vessel Make
1969 Pilot House Trawler
Are these things safe to leave plugged in permanently?

Considering the Golden Rods are intended to be plugged in and placed in a gun safe on a permanent/semi-permanent basis, I think the answer is "yes".

I had one plugged into a safe for a little over 3 years without issue. I'm assuming you're planning to use one in a closet area, etc.? I would think the application is similar to a safe.

I have one that has not been trumps off for 10 yrs only o# what the power is off to the boat

My parents used to keep bags of desiccant in their clothes drawers on their boat and swore they helped. I wonder if those plug-in desiccant devices could work for small areas of boats. Anyone use those with any success/failure?

Yup. Safe to use. I have never heard of one failing dangerously. Keep in mind all it does is provide a bit of low heat. Not bad in a small locker, but they simply make cold air warmer. Warmer air will hold more water so there the is less water that condenses out onto other surfaces.

Perhaps more than heating they circulate air due to heat rising .. even small quanities of heat.

Yes they are safe and can be left on for months or ? I put one on each side of our head, water closet or toilet. Saves heating the whole fwd end of the boat. Same in the Laz by the water tanks.

Great product.

The provide the same results as a light bulb of a similar wattage but in a far safer package.

I'm not sure if they are "ignition protected" as far as putting them in a gas powered boat's bilge, but again, they would be far safer than a light bulb.

Thank You all for your valuable time. Excellent responses!

Back
Top Bottom