Old 09-04-2012, 02:37 PM   #41
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
Glad you're back skipperdude. 6' - 8' ? I thought that was normal seas for Alaska.
I was running before the storm you can see the front moving in in the pics. I had 20 miles at 6 or 7 knot's with no place to hide.

By the time I got back it was gale force with steady 8 footers.

No trouble docking a I am transient and was assigned a slip at the end of the float. No tight slip to squeeze into. I just pulled right up and jumped ashore.

SD

Old 09-04-2012, 05:24 PM   #42

City: Monterey, CA
Vessel Name: Mahalo
Vessel Model: Defever 44
I'm probably out 50% of the time by myself. This weekend the yacht club is going from Monterey to Capitola for the weekend and I will make the trip alone since Terry is in NY. For fear of going overboard, when alone, I always put the boat into neutral when moving about the boat. I thought about rigging a safety line and clipping to it but I envisioned myself hanging upside down over the side going up on the rocks. The boat is maneuverable enough and small enough that single handing it is no issue.

Baggiolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:33 PM   #43
Guru

City: Rodney Bay Lagoon
Vessel Name: "Dragon Lady"
Vessel Model: DeFever 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquabelle View Post
Marin: any chance a photo of your mid-ships spring on hanger set-up?
I have a similar setup to Marin's, but with separate hangers for bow, stern and spring - the one at the outer end of the dock is for the spring. A short boathook can be handy too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dock-1.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	12766   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dock-2.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	12767  
Shoalwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:52 PM   #44
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Marin: any chance a photo of your mid-ships spring on hanger set-up?
We're on the boat in the Gulf Islands so all I have are the photos on our iPad. This is our new dock. You can see the hanger for the permanent spring just forward of the starboard boarding gate. It's made from 1/2" PVC. It's high enough to easily reach by hand from the deck as the boat enters the slip. The line is 3/4" stranded nylon fastened through the eye of the outermost cleat on the finger. The other end has a spliced loop that is hung on the hanger. The line is set to a length that when it's tight the boat is in its proper position in the slip. When the boat is in the slip we use this spring line as a second stern breast line since the prevailing wind ans storms come from the southwest, which is behind the boat.

Name:	image-2851612884.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	12772
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:12 AM   #45

City: Sydney
Go single handed and go more often.
As time hurries on, casual crew are harder to come by, and if you only take the boat out crewed I reckon you’re in limiting yourself – assuming of course you’re not paying them.
When it comes to establishing ship’s routines, I always think solo no matter how many people are on board. If the boat is set up with just me and my weaknesses in mind, I don’t have to worry too much about my companions, who can always participate, but don’t need to do it all.
My major reason for boat ownership is my freedom (real or imagined) to take off by myself, or with anybody else, anytime. Being set up for single handing is a major part of this and the only worry from my POV is accessing my home berth, and at the end of the day if conditions deteriorate I can always anchor off and move her in when conditions allow. Simple systems, lots of fenders, lots of patience, lots of fun.
eagle419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:47 AM   #46
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
As an alternative to the PVC tubing poking up, as our marina was not keen on a permanent upright, I grabbed an old car aerial, and set it in a cheap whip aerial base screwed down to the dock's timber edging, so it can be laid flat, telescoped down, when not in use. I epoxied a bungee hook over the aerial tip to loop the midships line over, in easy reach for me out the pilot door, as Marin described. I think these pics show enough.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Image059.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	12793   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image058.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	12794  
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:43 AM   #47
Guru

City: Georgia
Genius Peter B. But what kind of reception do those get?
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:48 PM   #48
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Boating "solo" has its risks of course. Have a heart attack, stroke, or serious fall alone on your boat and you're probably toast. Yet, the same thing can happen in the comfort of your own home or driving in your car.

My wife boats with me, not because I'm afraid to boat alone, but because she enjoys it, she has the same free time as I do, and we enjoy each other's company.

Each of us has his or her own situation so think it through and do what you enjoy and what you are comfortable with.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:26 PM   #49

City: Hawaii Kai
Vessel Name: Howemet
Vessel Model: 1982 30ft Lien Hwa Sea Horse

Name:	2012-04-06_08-20-37_632.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	12843

I routinly cruise to Molokai, Lanai, Maui by my self from Oahu. I make sure I do a pre-cruise check on all areas. Motor mounts, belt condtion, grease rudder, fuel filter changes often, bilge pump checks, spare parts kit.... and most importantly... an fully operational auto pilot. I also always have an emergency bottle of Makers Mark. If I ever go out on the forward decks, the boat goes into neutral. Comm checks before leaving dock or mooring area. Updated Navionics Plat + charts.
Pete Hopley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:47 PM   #50

made a trip from NY to palm beach fl alone and would never do it again on my trawler doing 7 knots it took16 days and i was about to go nuts, never again,idi have a auto pliot but in the intercoastal you cant use it to much,made one thirty HR run out side,that was the only break i got.
capt jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:11 PM   #51
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Hopley View Post
I also always have an emergency bottle of Makers Mark.
I need to add one of those to my ditch bag.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:05 PM   #52
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jerry View Post
made a trip from NY to palm beach fl alone and would never do it again on my trawler doing 7 knots it took16 days and i was about to go nuts, never again,idi have a auto pliot but in the intercoastal you cant use it to much,made one thirty HR run out side,that was the only break i got.
I see that as a wonderful opportunity for a solo trip..
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:54 AM   #53
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
Genius Peter B. But what kind of reception do those get?
No complaints from marina staff - just others agreeing it's a good idea. Actually I was originally screwing the mount, one with a flat base, to the timber rubbing strip on the edge of the dock, but that kept coming out, so I got one which designed to clamp onto the std 1" rail, and with minor mods it mounted onto the midships cleat, which I think you can see in one pic. The plastic whip aerial mounts are very cheap, and car wreckers have aerials for virtually nothing. Just pinch a bungy hook from a tie-down, and fix the aerial into the base and the hook to the top with knead-it (epoxy mastic stick), and Bob's your uncle...
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:05 PM   #54

City: Whidbey Island WA
Vessel Name: MV Kika
Vessel Model: Selene 47 Ocean Trawler
I specifically rigged my Willard 40 for sinlge handing. It's a wide body model (no side decks) so doubly important. I have a few simple rules: Avoid moving around the boat while underway. Always wear a PFD. If I go between the flybridge and lower helm, I take the boat out of gear. Ignore the temptation to "fix" or "adjust" stuff while underway...."stupid is as stupid does"! My boat is equiped with a permanent folding ladder that drops 3 feet into the water for easy boarding. While cruising the Broughtons this summer, I traveled with...and came across, many guys out there cruising solo. It can be a delight, just be cautious.
nwboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:27 PM   #55

City: Hampstead,NC
Vessel Name: HoneyBadger
Vessel Model: 1990 Harkers Island Trawler Typical wooden hull with a Carolina flare and no deadrise at the stern
I have done alot of solo boating, On all my boats when returning to the marina i always have someone to catch a line, I wear a Inflatable PFD anytime i am on deck or in the aft cockpit. Had my center console out 25 miles alone i do have what i call as good as it gets kit if i had to enter the water. Stupid ? I have 3 ex wifes that say so lol
honeybadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:25 PM   #56
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybadger View Post
I have done alot of solo boating, On all my boats when returning to the marina i always have someone to catch a line.
I don't count on someone to catch a line, but just step onto the dock and tie a line midship first and then fore and aft lines (assuming there isn't strong current or wind moving/blowing away from the dock.) Of course, it's handy to have a pilothouse door and deck convenient to the dock.