Old 08-30-2012, 04:42 PM   #21
City: Richmond bc
Vessel Name: Invader no1
Vessel Model: Kishi Boat works
Rare but I sure do. Never realy thought of it as something that should not be done. No biggie IMO.

OFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:17 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by alormaria View Post
This is why I'm at a mooring.
A trick for solo picking up the mooring buoy is to lay a line along one side of the hull,outside everything. Pick up the mooring buoy from the lower height cockpit,take it around the line and drag it forward along the line to the bow. Of course, maneuvers like this are subject to wind and all other possible forms of frustration. BruceK

BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:14 PM   #23
Scraping Paint
City: -
That's more or less what we do. We take the buoy down the starboard side of the boat to the boarding gate where the freeboard is relatively low. One of us simply reaches out and clips the big carabiner on the end of our mooring line to the ring on the buoy. The line is already laid out up the side deck toward the bow so it's an easy matter for the person at the helm to step out, pick up the line, take it forward, put it through the bow hawse, pull the buoy up to the bow and cleat off the line.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:20 PM   #24
I ran my 34' solo most of the time around 1500 hrs now with this 44' I need help aboard getting back into my slip
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:45 PM   #25
City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
going solo

Go for it!
Take it easy, don't get in a hurry, rig a spring line with a big loop to help docking short hand.
Get back to the dock when the dog starts to talk back
Have a great time
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:49 PM   #26
TF Site Team
City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
SD, you start dying the moment you are born. Don't over-think this whole thing, just be sensible and like Marin said.
Actually, I have gone out alone, and found docking easy using similar arrangement to Marin. A raised, (so you can reach it from the pilot door), midships spring line. Once you hook that in, and wrap it round that middle cleat and cinch it in, the boat ain't goin' nowhere. You can then gently bring bow and stern in close enough to secure at your leisure by gentle idle in forward or reverse if needed because the wind or current is moving you away.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:06 AM   #27
Best help is a breast line rigged on the mid ship cleats , that is just too short to reach the prop if washed overboard.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:27 PM   #28
TF Site Team
City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC

I take my boat out solo quite a bit for different reasons. Sometimes I just need my boating fix to break up the routine after many projects, sometimes the admiral can't break away for as long and wants to drive to our destination to meet other obligations and sometimes to meet fellow friends and anglers closer to the fishing waters to save them the 2 hr ride to and from the slip.

I agree with the recommendation to wear a PFD whenever underway and out of the pilothouse and have promised the Admiral I would do that. It's also easy to stop when leaving the helm, just in case. I leave my permanent docklines at my slip, but always have the bow lines rigged from the fwd cleats outside my rails and tied to the aft end of the rail adjacent to the stbd door. I also set my traveling lines at the ready on the stbd spring and aft cleats. If solo, I just approach the dock for a stbd tie and grab a dock cleat with the stbd spring. I can then step onto the dock from the sidedeck. Then the working line is secured (usually the bow) followed by the opposite end.

In this shot, you can see the stbd spring at the ready and the stbd bow line strung outside the rail and secured at the aft upright rail, next to my stbd door. (I know having the lines hanging over the gunwale is bad form, but I was trying to save bending over to grab the spring as I tied up with Pineapple Girl. No excuses on the bow line. )

I would never have bought this boat if I felt I couldn't cruise in her solo. Having the independence to come and go as I please and the satisfaction of knowing I CAN and DO do it myself is very gratifying. I think there's a streak of independence that runs in most, if not all, of us. We pursue our own dreams, are the masters (and mistresses) of our own destiny and relish in the independence our lifestyles offer us. That's part of what attracts me to flying and boating and is a part of me that is deeply ingrained.

I used to have a SeaRay runabout that I could only tow using my wife's minivan. I hated having to ask her for her car so I could go fishing or boating. It wasn't very long before I purchased my own truck that was up to the job.
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:53 PM   #29
Master and Commander
City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
I've gone solo several times. They were three-something-hour trips to/from the boatyard. Admiral had to remain onshore to provide land transportation from/to boatyard. Had no particular docking issues. Had life jacket on. Find having someone accompany me to be more enjoyable than going solo.
Kar-KEEN-ez Koot
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:11 PM   #30
City: Cowichan Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Gray Hawk
Vessel Model: Defever 43 Offshore Cruiser
I've had Gray Hawk out alone several times. Not actually completely alone because George-the-idiot-cat has always been with me but he lacks an opposable thumb so he's not a lot of help. Docking is no big deal - I rig a short midships spring line and have it draped by the boarding gate so its right at hand as I step off. We normally use a longer midship spring line but I don't want any possibility of it fouling a prop so I use a short one when I'm alone. As far as falling in goes, there's no way Marilyn could lift me back onboard anyway so that's no different than when she's onboard. I don't go on deck with the engines in gear but other than that its no different than any other trip.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:53 AM   #31
Veteran Member
City: Whittier
Vessel Name: Libertad
Vessel Model: Offshore 54
I think some responders do not understand that where the OP is planning to singlehand his boat the use of a pfd in most cases will only help the CG locate his body. The water is so cold that it is very difficult to make it to shore even when it is very close. Swimming more than a few hundred yards would be an athletic feat and once you get to shore there is nobody there to help in almost all cases. It is very cold at night even in the summer and hypothermia is a given. I lost a good friend who capsized his dinghy and made it to shore but died on the beach. I don't fear the water but I have a huge respect for it.
Larmex99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:09 AM   #32
City: Toms River
Vessel Name: Adagio
Vessel Model: 32' Island Gypsy
I go solo, sometimes just to get my boat fix and relax. I geuss one advantage of a small trawler is it is easy to handle. At our home slip I back in using a short springline from the aft corner. Just slip the line on and ease into reverse the boat swings stern into the slip regardless of the conditions. Then I go in nuetral, take off the spring and back the rest of the way in.

In any other slips I go in bow first.

Be careful but using the boat alone once in a while can be relaxing.

JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:32 AM   #33
City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Going solo or not isn't the's mindset.

Some captains are a menace no matter who else is on board.

Safety/risk management is something you always have in the back of you mind or not. If you are the type that is always hurting yourself, tripping over things, forgetting to use/bring stuff you need...maybe going solo isn't for you.

Take a good stock of yourself by looking at the every day life you lead and then apply how safe, successful you are at those things and it will probably transfer over to your boating/captaining (as long as you have enough experience to go with it.)
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:38 PM   #34
City: Edgewater
Originally Posted by Larmex99 View Post
I have to tell you that having boated in PWS for years I think it is a really bad idea to go out alone. Just a rope fouled prop in the wrong circumstances can be a nightmare. Try to unfoul it while drifting to a rocky shore in water too deep to set an anchor until it is too late. Happened to me outside Siwash Bay but thankfully not alone. It took 45 minutes to unfoul in my dry suit. That is only one of many issues of boating in frigid waters where even a small miscalculation can mean a trip to the happy hunting grounds. Even really competent boats have very bad things happen to them. If you do decide to go please keep in touch with the CG. They are there to help us and can be the difference.
How would having someone else onboard help in the situation you described? If the prop is fouled they can't head it into the wind. I doubt you would both go in the water and it would still be too deep to anchor.
Mdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:47 PM   #35
City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
My boat came with a swim ladder that could not be deployed when the dinghy was on the davits nor by a person in the water. I replaced it with a telescoping ladder by Windline it bolts under the swim platform and can be pulled out by a person in the water. It would be a big help in getting back on board when anchored or on a mooring, but, if the boat is underway all bets are off, just wave bye bye.
Steve W.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:32 PM   #36
City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
I do the majority of my boating solo. I enjoy the solitude. It may be twice as risky, but I'm only risking half (or less) the number of lives. Preparedness and patience is more important than having extra bodies, who are sometimes more hinder than help.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:51 AM   #37
City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
I made it back alive.
Went thru a pretty bad storm and one major glitch with the boat.

I will give a full report with pics when I get the time.

If you can't repair it maybe it shouldn't be on the boat
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:38 AM   #38
City: sydney
Vessel Name: Aquabelle
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Flushdeck
Marin: any chance a photo of your mid-ships spring on hanger set-up?
Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:50 PM   #39
City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

All went well as I left the harbor. The weather report was for 10 knt's winds but that changed on the next weather report. Everything went to hell.

I was out about 20 miles when it started to blow.

I headed for shelter anchored up cooked dinner and settled in for the evening.

The next day went fine as I was in a sheltered passage.

The next morning I turned the key and nothing.
I thought the starter was out. got out the multimeter and began checking things I had power to the fuel solenoid but nothing to the starter. I tried jumping the starter with a screw driver the Bendix's would spin but not engage the starter.
I took the leads out of the multi meter and stuck one end into the hot on the starter and the other into the solenoid it started. That was where the problem was. the start key switch.
I had a push to flush switch from a toilet rebuild so I wired it into the start switch.

And no the toilet doesn't flush when I start the boat

Then it was a race or a run befor the storm I sort of made it. Paravanes out and running with 6 to 8 ft seas 20 miled back to the harbor.

I was tired but safe at home.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0009.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	12759   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0008.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	12760  
If you can't repair it maybe it shouldn't be on the boat
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:29 PM   #40
City: Georgia
Glad you're back skipperdude. 6' - 8' ? I thought that was normal seas for Alaska.

Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote