Going Solo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Joe,
Practice picking up a mooring when you have someone aboard. It’s tricky as you can’t see it when it gets close.

Also as you know, the boat back to starboard. If it’s calm I can come alongside the dock on the starboard side and walk it in with engine and bowthruster. Get close enough to throw on a spring line. I would have that spring line made up with a big loop. Learn how to throw a loop over a piling.

Get a decent floor mat for standing at the helm.

Come take another look at Wanderer with this in mind and we can have some coffee.

John

Go to the drug store and get a plastic urinal.
Not sure what a lady would use, a bucket?

Piddle Pack. Work great, gender-neutral, spill-proof. Buy at any aviation supplier.

Last edited:
I often hear people concerned about docking a large boat. I don’t get it. I run boats from 13’ whaler to 90’ head boats. I have never ever asked for docking help. And if some one thinks of helping by pushing against a pole of pier they get an ear full . Unless the person is in full sync with the Captain they are of no help and may just get hurt.
As far as solo transit, it is far more important to have your navigation, weather, and breaks in order before you set out. Those are distractions and you are the only eyes.

This is interesting. Do you agree that the boat style must come into play too? Id imagine it being easier to solo dock a 90 ' downeast vs a 90' sportfish , where you're 25 feet above the water.

Can you give us some more details? A 90 footer seems very challenging to dock solo IMHO.

In wind, not necessarily....current would be the bigger enemy.

All good advice. I'll just add one thing. Though having both bow and stern thrusters on my "new-to-me" vessel is the cake, when solo or with a novice crew member, my wireless remote control for the thrusters is the sweet icing. The thrusters obviously allow me to bring her in parallel to the dock, even a tight spot, where I can step off in a civil manner. And the remote on a lanyard around my neck permits me to keep her dockside whilst I calmly secure the lines. Neat and clean.

When locking through solo, planning is important. This includes finding that spot in the middle of your boat where you can control her when you are going up in a lock. If you can have a cleat or other devise like a railing at that location then you can use that to assist you in holding your boat near the wall. Do not cleat the line or you may not be able to release it if you need to. But you can bend the line around the cleat or railing so that you won’t have to be Superman to hold her near the wall. This is similar to what you might do to pull your boat nearer the dock when she has drifted away. Remember most of the force you apply to that rope is directed at lifting your boat. So don’t go crazy trying to maintain your boat always be tight to the wall.

Many of the things you try to be aware of when docking come into play when locking through. So know the wind direction. Watch to see what type of lines, cables, pipes etc. are available at each lock because they will vary. If you are first in a lock where there isn’t a crowd you will have more flexibility in picking your spot so don’t be afraid to let your initial targeted one go by and instead pick up the next one. And scout for this as you come into the lock. If I miss that one I’ll get this one. Have a boat hook handy to help you snag that rope, pipe or cable. Also you might need that boat hook when you reach the top of the lock so you don’t have to play Houdini or the stretchy arm guy and reach way down before you can release.

It often helps to have a short 10’ piece of 5/8” or heavier rope handy to go around but not all the way around a pipe or cable attached at the top and bottom of the lock. This extra piece of rope can be attached at one end to that center tie off spot on your boat and then you only need to hold the other end. If given the choice between a free hanging rope or a cable tied at the top always opt for that cable or pipe. That way the force you apply is directed at holding your boat near the wall and not trying to lift it in order to hold it near the wall.

When you call the lockmaster to get permission to lock through be sure to ask which side you must put fenders on. Usually you can pick but sometimes you are only allowed one side because of differences in the locks drain and filling outlets.

Going down there are far fewer strong currents trying to pull your boat away from the walls so that is a relative cakewalk.

Last edited:
When you call the lockmaster to get permission to lock through be sure to ask which side you must put fenders on. Usually you can pick but sometimes you are only allowed one side because of differences in the locks drain and filling outlets.

Always put fenders on both sides, especially when solo. You don't have time to go moving them if the lockmaster changes his mind. Be prepared. Same thing with lines.

BandB, yours is probably the safer approach but especially when the distance between locks may be miles I prefer to drive my boat without fenders hanging from the sides. Of course if the traffic is heavy you may not know what side you will end up on so it is definitely the best approach to have fenders on both sides. Lines are very rarely needed for locking through. The only times I can think of are when they have a floating dock on the inside of the lock that you tie to. Too bad more locks couldn’t afford this approach.

BandB, yours is probably the safer approach but especially when the distance between locks may be miles I prefer to drive my boat without fenders hanging from the sides. Of course if the traffic is heavy you may not know what side you will end up on so it is definitely the best approach to have fenders on both sides. Lines are very rarely needed for locking through. The only times I can think of are when they have a floating dock on the inside of the lock that you tie to. Too bad more locks couldn’t afford this approach.

You don't have to keep them out, but it's still worth pausing a mile or so away and placing them.

With an idea from a fellow GH N37 owner, I made some temporary clip-on port-side line holders (no helm door on port) to "hand" marina dockhands bow and stern lines when coming in solo.

No usage data yet, but will report back......

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/d19c24_08ccbde5d0ae422c85663a59fcffb354.pdf

A whole bunch of other projects, though most are GH N37 specific, can be found here: N37 SCOUT Projects

--
Ray
http://n37scout.wixsite.com/travels

I like your idea. I will likely steal and adapt it for various projects.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom