Old 06-12-2014, 02:44 PM   #61

City: Birch bay wa
Vessel Name: Rogue
Vessel Model: North Pacific 42
From the time you start the paperwork and send it in, I would expect it to take 6-8 weeks, before your interview. The I68 can be done in 1/2 hour at the Bellingham Customs Office, depending on their workload. In order for either to be of any help, all onboard are required to have them. The I68 is best explained as being a one way Nexus, coming back to US. DS

Rebel112r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:38 PM   #62
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I've never seen Bull Harbour and have little desire to do so as it's probably packed w boats every night.

I've always run Queen Charlotte Strait in the east side. Anchoring in the north end of the Broughton's or in Allison Harbour. Done Allison Harbour in a 50 knot gale. Lots of room (it's long) and seems to have a good mud bottom.

Most of the time I've run from the SW corner to the NE corner diagonally up (or down) Queen Charlotte Strait. The west side of Georgia Strait is so much better I see no reason for deviation there. Most of the route north unfortunately is not open to deviation or individual preferences except Johnston Strait or the Back Channel thought Dent Rapids. I've only gone through Seymour Narrows once. I love running the Back Channels and have had extremely good luck w currents even running at 6 knots. It's just luck or the speed (or lack) that has resulted in my good luck w the tides. One can plan carefully and know what the tide and current will be doing at the next rapid but I never have and after going through quite a few times I'd say there's very little trouble to be had from timing and running from rapid to rapid.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 05:39 PM   #63
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
One thing to consider is that a 4 knot current marked at mid channel picks up a wee bit of speed when all that water tries to squeeze through a narrows. Same thing applies when there's an abrupt rise in the bottom that drops off again.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:15 PM   #64

City: Snohomish, WA
Vessel Name: NautiBeaver
Vessel Model: Nordlund 68'
Did I say last question? Well one more. First I have all the books and read them cover to cover. But I want your opinions. Best place to stay (on hook) in desolation (preference is for scenic beauty and place for 5 kids to enjoy a kayak ride and walk on beach collecting oysters.

Next best hit spring (not that out of the way on out travel) to stop at?

Next best book/website/resource for currents of most rapids. (I have new data in nobletec) which has most.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum
nautibeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:22 PM   #65
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Refugio
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautibeaver View Post
Next best book/website/resource for currents of most rapids.
There's a book with aerial shots of the passages that really helps visualize the conditions. I just got home from a short stay in the hospital and will look for it tomorrow.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:30 PM   #66
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
For kayaking, a great place is Von Donop Inlet; scenic yet very protected. Lots of cubbyholes. Beaches so-so.

A great beach for strolling is at Rebecca Spit. Or on the north side of Desolation is Cameleon Harbour, but you do have to watch for bears.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:46 AM   #67
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
. Best place to stay (on hook) in desolation (preference is for scenic beauty and place for 5 kids to enjoy a kayak ride and walk on beach collecting oysters. Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum
In D Sound try Grace Harbour. No oyster places there though. I second Rebecca Spit, like it for good access to shore without stern tie.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:12 AM   #68
Guru

I'd second Grace Harbour. There's a nice hike into a lake, although the hike is probably better than the lake itself.

Thinking of oysters, there are some to be had up Pendrell Sound, about three quarters the way up on the left side. There's a great little anchorage tucked in behind a little island - stern tying is required though.

However, most places in Desolation usually have shellfish bans on during the summer. Don't know about this year.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:24 AM   #69
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post

However, most places in Desolation usually have shellfish bans on during the summer. Don't know about this year.
We were surprised at all the short fishing seasons and limits in Washington. We're use to quantity limits but the calendar limits are a hunting thing on the east coast rather than fishing.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:49 AM   #70
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
We were surprised at all the short fishing seasons and limits in Washington. We're use to quantity limits but the calendar limits are a hunting thing on the east coast rather than fishing.
The shellfish bans are due to algal blooms (red tide) or sanitation contamination; i.e., you do NOT want to eat those critters!

This link gives the official word:

BC Tidal Waters Sport Fishing Guide - Area 15 (Powell River/Texada Island)
Old 06-13-2014, 10:58 AM   #71

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065
Quote:
Next best book/website/resource for currents of most rapids. (I have new data in nobletec) which has most.
For BC: Ports and Passes (book)

For Alaska, NOAA website:
2014 Tidal Current Predictions - NOAA Tides & Currents
"Cruising in a Big Way"
RCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:41 AM   #72
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Refugio
The book I was thinking of is "Northwest Waters" by Rich Bushnell, photography by Steven Hilson. But looking it over, it seems like it's more harbor shots than passes, and wasn't the source of the pass photos at various ebb/flood stages I was thinking of. You can probably get equivalent or even better aerials from Google Earth.

Another book that's kind of fun at trawler speeds is the Canadian Current Atlas "Juan de Fuca Strait to Strait of Georgia", particularly if you pick up the corresponding Washburn's Tables. The current atlas has very detailed charts of how the currents play out at all of the tide stages. It only goes up through the Strait of Georgia, but with an 8kt cruising speed, if you can find a way to pick up a couple of knots it can make a real difference!

One final thought on these passes - while the state of the pass at any given time can be known, oncoming commercial traffic can provide a greater challenge. It's not just the loose logs floating in the water, but rather the enormous log rafts that can make you change your plans. Remember, everyone else out there is planning to hit that pass at roughly the same 4 windows each day.

Oh, and the issue with Deception Pass isn't the pass itself - it's that the pass is very exposed to winds coming from the Strait of Juan de Fuca and it's that's against an outgoing tide (which you would typically aim for when travelling North) it can get choppy. Of course, you can always skip Deception Pass and go through the channel at La Conner - just be super careful of the channel coming in - those birds aren't standing on logs, they're standing on the mud bank that's 2" below the surface!

Edit: Washburn's Tables are now the Waggoner tables !
refugio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:41 PM   #73
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Local Knowledge by Kevin Monahan might be a handy guide.

Has some good strategies for going through the rapids.

If nothing else look at the pictures of the fishboat going through Dent Rapids on Page 73.

16' tidal change today made for some interesting rips even in Okeover with a west wind all day.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:47 PM   #74
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140613_204642.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	30534

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140613_204655.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	30535
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:51 PM   #75
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Old 06-14-2014, 02:59 AM   #76

C

Old 06-14-2014, 03:15 AM   #77

Thank you for the help!

Old 06-14-2014, 07:31 PM   #78
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
I wouldn't worry too much about the food. We aren't unreasonable people! Here's what you can bring into the country...

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/food/inf...89648516990#a1

You can't bring US potatoes, apples or stone fruit. Into BC...but you can buy US apples, stone fruit and Idaho potatoes in BC...go figure!?!?!? Don't worry, we can't bring US grown fruit into the US either!

We found that Jenny's usual dog food could not be brought into the US, because it contained lamb products.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
JDCAVE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 07:34 PM   #79
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
The shellfish bans further up the coast are because they don't test them to see "IF" there "IS" a problem or not so they prohibit it. It doesn't stop First Nations folk from harvesting it though. I've got my heart set on getting Razor Clams on a beach on Calvert Island!

Jim
JDCAVE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:58 PM   #80
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCAVE View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about the food. We aren't unreasonable people! Here's what you can bring into the country...

What Can I Bring Into Canada in Terms Of Food, Plant, Animal and Related Products? - Food - Canadian Food Inspection Agency

You can't bring US potatoes, apples or stone fruit. Into BC...but you can buy US apples, stone fruit and Idaho potatoes in BC...go figure!?!?!? Don't worry, we can't bring US grown fruit into the US either!

We found that Jenny's usual dog food could not be brought into the US, because it contained lamb products.

Jim
Yes, the funny thing is the stuff you can get in the US, have in your refrigerator, spend a day in Canada, and can't take back to the US. Well, like the dog food you mentioned that could be in the can you purchased it in three days ago in the US.

And the tight restrictions you mentioned on apples, stone fruit, and potatoes is just into BC, not all of Canada. Now going into Canada we were limited to 10 turkeys and 440 pounds of meat and poultry. Not a problem and fortunately our butcher marked it all when we vacuum packaged it with what it was, where purchased, and country of origin.

US is more scared of Canada items than Canada is of US it seems.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote