Old 06-22-2014, 09:23 AM   #41
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Ah, Mae West...."Come up and see me sometime when I've got nothing on but the radio...."
Old 06-22-2014, 09:25 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Ah, Mae West...."Come up and see me sometime when I've got nothing on but the radio...."
And . . . "Do you have a banana in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me?"
Old 06-22-2014, 09:51 AM   #43
Guru

City: Little River SC
Vessel Name: JAZ
Vessel Model: Ta Chaio/CT35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post

It's basically what you see on an strong out going tide at a narrow inlet when the wind waves and/or swells are opposing the tidal flow. Or what you can see at the mouth of a river that empties into the sea.
Exactly!
windmill29130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:54 AM   #44
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
It's basically what you see on an strong out going tide at a narrow inlet when the wind waves and/or swells are opposing the tidal flow. Or what you can see at the mouth of a river that empties into the sea.

OK...I can accept steep waves in certain circumstances...especially like breakers, rips, wind against current.....however....

....a 6 foot wave with 6 feet between crests is like standing at the bottom of the trough and having to reach up to touch the top of the next wave which is only an arms length away.....and you can do the same to the preceding one.

I would like to see a picture of some of those.....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:17 AM   #45
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post

I would like to see a picture of some of those.....
Not sure if 6' with 6 sec period is possible. But I would think it would look something like this:

Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:27 AM   #46
Guru

Quote:
Not sure if 6' with 6 sec period is possible. But I would think it would look something like this:
That's about as close as I have seen it....but as extreme as that is...it's really hard to believe a 6x6 wave in anything other than some testing device (Hollywood special effect).

And hoperfully the average trawler guy doesn't run that in his boat..

Another possibility but absolutely a freak would be something like I experience about 10 years ago.

I had my sportfish over on a 45 degree roll I think (actually my son was at the helm) when drifting through the Cape May, NJ rips for striped bass.

I think we had just topped a big rip and got hit by a freighter wake or very much larger set of waves at the exact moment...surprised the cra* out of us...those times are the one in a zillion that can get you...luckily that boat was always set up/maintained for the worst...and thankfully no one was hurt as we all knew the rips are a tricky place and handholds were always close by....and also no fish on at the moment...
Old 06-22-2014, 10:46 AM   #47
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
He wasn't talking 6' with 6 sec. He was talking 6' with 6' between crests. Far different. 6' with 6 seconds we see regularly and that is close for that height but not unheard of.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:59 AM   #48
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
He wasn't talking 6' with 6 sec. He was talking 6' with 6' between crests. Far different. 6' with 6 seconds we see regularly and that is close for that height but not unheard of.
Yes you're right. I mis-wrote it. I'm just used to thinking in feet and period when it comes to waves.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:00 AM   #49
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
As far as thunder storms goes, this is when a longer range open array radar really pays for itself, despite the opinion of some here that they are bought only because "they look cool". The internet/phone weather/radar tools are nice; I used to have a bunch of locations all up and down the east coast bookmarked in my Blackberry. But Freddy Furuno
gives a much better picture of how the weather relates to exactly where you are.

We are pleasure boaters, in that order. If it's going to be at all crappy out, we just as soon stay put another day, or two if necessary, and have done so many times. And not just for rough seas or high winds; if we have a beautiful area ahead we want to savor, then limited visibility due to rain or fog may keep us moored. On the other hand we've run the boat on instruments several times when it was foggy or heavy rain and the surroundings were not of particular interest.

As far as rough seas go, as discussed above, it depends. Of course it starts with the boat and it's capabilities, and the humans on board and their capabilities and tolerances. Have had some very pleasant cruising in long period 6 footers (on the beam, stabilized heavy boat), horrid cruising in steep, fast 2-3 footers with the wind roaring up or down the Pamlico, Chesapeake, Albemarle, even the LIS. Basically I don't like being out in much over 20 knot winds. Done it and more? Sure. Fun? Usually, no. We're in it for the fun.

In the protected canal and canal-like parts of the ICW, agree that weather is much less of an issue by far. But to the degree it may take the pleasure out of the trip due to poor visibility, why bother?

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 12:13 PM   #50
Guru

Newbies to radar should remember when coastal and ICW cruising...boat radar can't see everything....as objects create shadow areas...such as heavy rain may be blocking out or lessening the return of extreme rain just behind it. In open water shadowing can still happen but I agree that's where power and range is nice...and even better if NO internet or satellite data is available.

In the ditch, often objects on shore will negate seeing thunderstorms not all that far away if they are zooming along at 30+ knots and you are crawling at 6-8 kts.

It's one of the main reasons I up our hotspot data when cruising the ditch...having both widespread weather and cruising guide info at the touch of a few buttons enables me to make better decisions based on better info.

Some weather maps allow very detailed zooming in of passing thunderstorm and tracks..Wundermap I used twice now even during tornado watches to slow or speed up as necessary to avoid the strongest cells.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:44 PM   #51
Guru

I sailed the mid ditch areas for some 30+ years and was only involved with two thunder storm dismasting's one on my boat. One was 100% skippers fault would not drop sail racing. The other on my boat 50% my fault would not drop all sail and 50% builder designer of boat with a poor head stay mast interface on a rotating mast. I was aware of one death a sailor not far from me when I lost my mast. Otherwise I was aware of all storms with enough warning to drop sail anchor, if enough water, or to ride out the short lived high intensity winds. Back then there were no radar apps on phones and few boats had radar. There were often weather station warnings of likely late afternoon TS. On a hot humid summer day the odds are good for TS. TS come with the territory Stay alert and be conservative. If there is lightening stay away from wire shrouds and big metal and there is little to fear. Rarely a low profile Motor boat gets hit and has a expensive electronics bill. The TS is not confined to the ditch so may not play in choice in or out.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 01:16 PM   #52
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
The trouble with thunderstorms is the difficulty in predicting them. Always worth keep a close eye out.

Our current winter weather is much more predictable, Its crap. - I'm not going to leave the dock this week.
Adelaide Weather Forecast (Swell, Wind, Tide, Rain & Temperature)
This site graphs the local wind, wave height and wave period, making it easy to make a call. With wave height equalling wave period today (14 feet x 14 seconds), Nope - not a chance.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 02:08 PM   #53
Guru

City: Madeira Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Also, if you've got a weather station on your VHF (as you transit the number will change so be aware of that) ... anyway you can hold down the ALT button on the VHF radio. That will enable "Alert" and when weather issues come up (those rapidly moving thunder-boomers for instance) your radio will automatically beep several times and then go to the NOAA Weather station for the broadcast.

Your VHF will stay on the Wx channel until you return it to 16 incidentally. It's a handy feature and even my ancient VHF radio has it.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:33 PM   #54
Guru

City: Tuckerton, NJ
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
That's one of the nice features of getting weather data from SIRIUS or GSM Cellular with Garmin plotters. Your screen will turn red in the weather alert area. If you want then you can switch the VHF to the weather channel and listen to the warnings. Since we stopped doing much cruising in the Mainship I shut the SIRIUS WX off and went with the GSM based pay per day weather. It works well in most of the Atlantic ICW. I'll have the same daily service available in my GS. I took the GSM based cellular weather antenna out of the system before the boat was sold. It works via the NMEA2000 backbone you can use the puck alone or a good 800/1900 cellular external antenna mounted nearby with an SMA male connector for extending the range. I understand this service will be going away by 2016. Depending on my cruising I'll keep it until then. You can also purchase an extended use plan short term if needed.
Bill
Billylll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:40 PM   #55
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billylll View Post
That's one of the nice features of getting weather data from SIRIUS or GSM Cellular with Garmin plotters. Your screen will turn red in the weather alert area. If you want then you can switch the VHF to the weather channel and listen to the warnings. Since we stopped doing much cruising in the Mainship I shut the SIRIUS WX off and went with the GSM based pay per day weather. It works well in most of the Atlantic ICW. I'll have the same daily service available in my GS. I took the GSM based cellular weather antenna out of the system before the boat was sold. It works via the NMEA2000 backbone you can use the puck alone or a good 800/1900 cellular external antenna mounted nearby with an SMA male connector for extending the range. I understand this service will be going away by 2016. Depending on my cruising I'll keep it until then. You can also purchase an extended use plan short term if needed.
Bill

Yep we have a GXM-52 that's distributes it to our two 741xs'.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1403480426.902385.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	30757Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1403480444.683698.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	30758
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:05 PM   #56
Guru

City: Tuckerton, NJ
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
I have the older GXM-51. It puts all but the SIRIUS audio on the NMEA2000 backbone. My Garmin cellular based weather uses the GDL-40 US. It will feed 741xs and 740s units via NMEA2K on my Gulfstar.
Bill
Billylll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:10 PM   #57
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
I believe one thing we have as a huge advantage today is the weather information available. Not just forecasts but actual weather in nearby areas. Now there still seem to be a lot of people ignoring it and especially sailboats heading out into bad conditions and requiring rescue.

When we go offshore we always assume too that it's going to be a level worse than any forecast and decide if we'd still feel ok about the trip.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:18 PM   #58
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
Our current winter weather is much more predictable,..
Adelaide Weather Forecast (Swell, Wind, Tide, Rain & Temperature)
This site graphs the local wind, wave height and wave period, making it easy to make a call. With wave height equalling wave period today (14 feet x 14 seconds), Nope - not a chance.
Glad you are back ok. I often think how fortunate we are to have Seabreeze as a weather predictor, I almost always take their advice over other sources. Do others have something like it?
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:29 PM   #59
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I believe one thing we have as a huge advantage today is the weather information available.
This view may change on your trip to Alaska.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:40 PM   #60
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
This view may change on your trip to Alaska.
If memory serves correctly...do you remember the early 90's when the US lost a weather satellite on the East Coast so they shifted the others and left the North Pacific and Northwest without eyes?

I was stationed on Kodiak, Island and we felt back in the stone age with mostly ship reports and the few Aleutian reports..the Russians hadn't warmed up too much at that point.

Yep....I feel pretty spoiled here in the East with almost 3000 miles of weather gathering data from every elementary school to yachtclub to TV station pumping data into the system 24/7.

While weather reports aren't perfect...if you can read a bit more into them for your local versus "regional" weather...it sure helps a lot. Weather by zip code is like a magician's trick....good for entertainment but the reality is weather usually isn't forecast town by town...look at the size of the areas in a marine forecast to get an idea of the best they can really do.