Old 06-24-2014, 06:25 PM   #81
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
While i am far from being any sort of master mariner, I pretend sometimes by following one of my favorite nautical maxims (author unknown):

"One sign of someone with superior seamanship skills is avoiding if at all possible putting himself in the position of needing to use them."

The few times I have reached sphincter scale 4 or 5, I was always saying to myself "you dumb ass!" rather than "Gee George that was some good boat handling there"
Ditto George. And today was case in point: The weather this morning was predicting 1-2' seas in the Gulf of Mexico. That's a "Go" for me. But as I headed out the channel it seemed rougher.

At 10:30 the prediction was 2-3' seas, decreasing to 1-2 foot tonight. Okay, maybe. But when I got out there and made the turn to south it wasn't comfortable. Thus, I did what's hardest:

Turn the boat around and head back. I didn't want to, but this is supposed to be fun. Wednesday morning is predicted at 1-2 while afternoon bumps up to 2-3. I'll be here until at least Thursday morning.

There's no hurry. After all, I'm where I want to be.

Old 06-25-2014, 06:15 AM   #82

Grew up in Charleston SC area surfing whenever possible. Wave selection is a big part of that. 8 ft. waves were very rare if ever.

Here on Lake Michigan it is a entirely different thing. Last winter or the one before there were 25 ft. waves. As I understood it 22 ft. is the theoretical max for LM, so there you go. It is common to get up to 5 ft. waves. If it gets bigger than 5 then you might as well expect 14.

Now heres the thing. In Charleston we had sets of waves. Usually 3 then a lull, followed by the next set. We dealt with them on wave by wave basis. In LM our 40ft boat can be involved with 3-4 waves at the same time, usually with only two traveling the same direction. Washing machine - yep. 5ft trailing seas is the most comfortable once beyond 3 footers, as the boat can usually travel with one or two until the waves pass us. The rhythm can be found when moving with the primary motion. We have moments of swell, not what I would call periods.

The primary tools we use are our recording barograph and the NOAA wave prediction page (Great Lakes Maps - NOAA's National Weather Service). The barograph going up is the time to go. When it starts down a steep angle it is time to be settled in.

With all the open water it may be best to ride into it where there is little to hit. The arriving at a marina at the same time as storm is the highest risk for damage. If you can't be safely tied before the fan is struck I think it better to avoid the area with solid objects. I have been amazed at how insignificant a big bad TS is when on the lake, but have had to deal with quite the pucker factor when the direction to be comfortable has one headed to shore.

Local knowledge. Knowing Mother Nature wins whenever she wants and not challenging her is my way.

SaltyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:35 AM   #83
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
And today was case in point: The weather this morning was predicting 1-2' seas in the Gulf of Mexico. That's a "Go" for me. But as I headed out the channel it seemed rougher.

At 10:30 the prediction was 2-3' seas, decreasing to 1-2 foot tonight. Okay, maybe. But when I got out there and made the turn to south it wasn't comfortable. Thus, I did what's hardest:

Turn the boat around and head back. I didn't want to, but this is supposed to be fun. Wednesday morning is predicted at 1-2 while afternoon bumps up to 2-3. I'll be here until at least Thursday morning.

There's no hurry. After all, I'm where I want to be.
Probably a lot of residual wave action from all the thunderstorm activity down at the Gulf coast these last few days. I would say that you did just what I would have done, Janice.

"You gotta know when to hold 'em,
know when to fold 'em,
know when to walk away . . ."