Go easy on BC fresh water.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hawgwash

Guru
Since many of our coastal communities rely on you folks with big thirsts and ice makers, this is just a heads up on the water situation.

Not saying the sky is falling, just bring money and go easy.

Snow packs are lower than normal, peak melt earlier and runoffs down.

Vancouver Island and Haida Gwaii are in restricted mode.
Summer has only just begun.

Be prepared.

Best thing you can do is drink like a local.
Straight from the bottle.

Attachments

• Mountains-Lake-BC.jpg
    Mountains-Lake-BC.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 58
HW

Surprisingly, last year Sidney seemed to have lots of water, at least for boat washing.

Are any golf courses and hay fields on the Island using treated sewage for their needs? When will Victoria get their sewage treatment plant installed? The Straits are polluted due to this lack of 20th century technology. BC's recalcitrance in getting this obvious hole in the proverbial dike plugged is a puzzler given BC's heavy green stance.

sunchaser; said:
BC's recalcitrance in getting this obvious hole in the proverbial dike plugged is a puzzler given BC's heavy green stance.
Tom, I won't go there because it is all political horse buns.
The only green stance is offshore money.

There, I went there.

Yes, and the equally green state of WA has considered but dropped lawsuits asking for BCs remediation. Having to do with pot and black kettles I hear.

How about water in the DS area Hawgwash?

You can get water at Refuge Cove. No charge. Just dock and fill your tank. You may want to buy something at the store to help support their community though.

drb1025; said:
You can get water at Refuge Cove. No charge. Just dock and fill your tank. You may want to buy something at the store to help support their community though.
You got it.
Who knows what it will be like in a couple months though both from a supply standpoint and from what I'm already hearing, it is going to a busy summer.

It wont be too bad if summer stays the way it is right now. High today in my area of Skagit Co was about 62 and rain! We rarely have to worry about water on the wet side of the Cascades in the Evergreen state.

Not sure about southern Vancouver Island, but the water situation around the coast generally is nowhere near as dire as last year. Lots of water in the central coast and no apparent rationing. In the Vancouver area, the reservoirs are pretty much full as the June rains were reasonable...

Think about how the water consumption by the thousands of land based tourists to British Columbia compares to the tourist cruiser. The toilets they flush, the showers they take, the water used by restaurants to wash dishes. The average cruiser pretty much exemplifies responsible water conservation. We go 3+ weeks on 350 gallons. Sailers probably use less than half that. At home we might go through 200-300 gallons in a day. Perhaps more.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

In last summer's 4 months of drought, we averaged under 50 gpd at our house. This took several years to achieve, through low volume toilets, showering restrictions, using the shortest dishwashing and laundry cycles, and general awareness of our consumption habits.
This year, we have installed rainwater collection for the flower pots and hanging baskets, but while we are away, boating, use the domestic water on a timer for that purpose.
This level of conservation pales in camparison to what little we use on the boat, where we have gone 2+ weeks on 250 gallons (approx 15 gpd).
(All measures in imperial gallons. Add 20% for US gallons.)

Refuge Cove is unique, as they have a huge lake and nobody else drawing from it. Most other places in the Desolation area aren't as lucky with supply.

koliver; said:
Refuge Cove is unique, as they have a huge lake and nobody else drawing from it. Most other places in the Desolation area aren't as lucky with supply.
:thumb::thumb:
Exactly!
Source and supply.
Big difference between a wooden pipe in a creek and a dammed watershed.

To stretch it out to the extreme;
Metro Vancouver has 2.5 million people in 3,000 square kilometers and a (relatively) huge water supply.
Haida Gwaii has 6,000 people in 10,000 square kilometers with a limited supply.

Most of Vancouver Island is on voluntary or mandated restrictions.

I brought this up to generate awareness.

It wont be too bad if summer stays the way it is right now. High today in my area of Skagit Co was about 62 and rain! We rarely have to worry about water on the wet side of the Cascades in the Evergreen state.

Times, they are a changin....

Last year set records, which will likely be broken again in short order.

Back
Top Bottom