Glass VS Plexiglass???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

geoleo

Im repairing 2starboard salon window lights on my 1983 MTDC . Its a big job. Im wondering if I should replace the broken panes of laminated glass with Plexiglass????:flowers: Thanks

Plexiglass has a high expansion and contraction rate with temperature changes. Everything depends on the size you need.

Plexiglass is also much easier scratched. You need proper cleaning materials and due care. Plexiglass can also build up a static charge than can attract stuff.

Plexiglass will degrade with time due to UV.

Wouldn't a polycarbonate like lexan be a better choice than plexiglass? Plexiglass breaks too easy Imo.

Assuming you can get the wooden frames apart easily...guessing that based on the MTDC and window lights are fixed windows.

Last edited:
Go with laminated safety glass. You can get them tinted as well which will help reduce heat inside.

I would use tempered glass or laminated safety glass. Glass is much more durable than plexiglass or lexan. Glass doesn't scratch as easily or craze although after many years the plastic layer in laminated safety glass can become cloudy. Glass will also be lighter since you will need much thicker plexi or lexan to get adequate strength.

Not sure you want tempered glass as it will shatter in to small pieces.

I've tried Lexan and other polycarbonate sheets in construction equipment, to replace windows broken by vandalism or tree limbs. Within a couple of years it's so cloudy or scratched that the visibility is greatly reduced.

If you need light transmission, and don't care about clarity, I'd say go for it. You can cut and shape plexiglass with common woodworking tools.

Last edited:
Polycarbonate while stronger than acrylic/plexiglass scratches very easy. Laminated glass is what I have always seen as the window material. Port lights are often made of polycarbonate, more impact resistance.

As stated above, Polycarbonate is not UV stable and will degrade and get cloudy within a few years.
I also struggle with the laminated glass with the middle "tinted" layer starting to degrade over time. Apparently the edges are not sealed and the air wicks inside the middle. I have this on my boat now and it drives me crazy.
I was told that you cant tint tempered safety glass ???

Cars have tinted windshields made of sandwich glass. Car side windows are tinted tempered. I have not seen tempered and sandwiched “safety” in the same piece. Seems possible though.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom