City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. BD. Hire someone to do it.
Old 11-14-2019, 03:14 AM   #3
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Motor-operated vaccuum pump. Suck out any fluid, oil, ATF, water from inconvenient places. My brother gave me one he acquired as surplus many years ago. Jusst stick the tubing down into the bottom of any sump, turn on the motor and sit back until the collection beaker fills. Good for bleeding brakes also.

Btlabsystems.com/Vacuum_Pumps
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonesD View Post
What the easiest, cleanest method for pumping old oil our
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 06:26 AM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
We have a 3 foot section of hose added to the oil pan similar to the link. It gets all but an once or two of oil because of the slope of the engine. I’ve had mixed results going through the dip-stick-tube.

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/jabs...gaAkCVEALw_wcB
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 06:57 AM   #5
Guru

City: Hampton Beach, NH
Vessel Name: Mischief Managed II
Vessel Model: 1992 Tollycraft 44 CPMY
Reverso pump, permanently installed. Makes oil changes a pleasure. I have one for my main engines with a manifold, and another for my genset. They work great.
Mischief Managed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 06:59 AM   #6
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Shalloway
Vessel Model: Defever 44, twin Perkins
Good advice already. To contain the used oil, I purchased a blue 5 gallon fuel container. I empty it into the local oil recycling center tank. If you don't have access to one of those, you can use empty oil jugs and many oil sellers will accept the used returns.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 08:06 AM   #7

City: Portsmouth, VA
Vessel Name: Nickel Plate
Vessel Model: Jeanneau Velasco 43
+1 for Reverso
fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 08:16 AM   #8
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
It's a little bulky but it works so great it is worth it's bulk, after all I have something like 5 gallons of oil and fuel between my main and the Genny.

I have a small vacuum pump which has about a half gallon collection container, certainly not enough. So the small collection container is connected to a 3 gallon"vac-u-tainer". I have a hose permanently connected to the drains on the engine and genny. I just let the pump (it's small) generate vacuum and open the valves and "Viola" done. Absolutely nothing special about the set up.., but...

I also have drain hoses on the Ravcors and secondarys and drain them the same way. I can generally change oil and filters and literally not spill a single drop !

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 08:29 AM   #9
Guru

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischief Managed View Post
Reverso pump, permanently installed. Makes oil changes a pleasure. I have one for my main engines with a manifold, and another for my genset. They work great.
Yes, especially their gear pumps - much better than the impeller ones.
"Cruising in a Big Way"
RCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 08:44 AM   #10
Guru

City: Hampton Beach, NH
Vessel Name: Mischief Managed II
Vessel Model: 1992 Tollycraft 44 CPMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchace View Post
Good advice already. To contain the used oil, I purchased a blue 5 gallon fuel container. I empty it into the local oil recycling center tank. If you don't have access to one of those, you can use empty oil jugs and many oil sellers will accept the used returns.

Ken

I buy my new Rotella at Walmart and return the used stuff there. They make it very easy. My local recycling center only takes 2 gallons per person per day, that's not at all convenient for a pair of 3208s...
Mischief Managed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 10:49 AM   #11
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Ditto on the Reverso gear pump and Larry’s permanently attached oil pan hose. Our oil pan hoses, with shut off valves at the oil pans, lead to hydraulic fittings, one of which can be seen at the very bottom, center, of the photo. The hose to the Reverso can be plugged into either engine’s oil drain line via these fittings.

The discharged oil goes into a five-gallon pail and two one-gallon jugs and gets recycled. I use a gallon-sized zip-lock bag around each oil filter to catch the inevitable gush when they’re loosened. Finally, I keep a big supply of engine diapers nearby. Stuff happens.
Attached Thumbnails
FB331C5C-E74D-49AA-AE0A-4E6678AF1ACD.jpeg  
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 10:50 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I have a Jabsco pump that originally came mounted on a 3 gallon bucket. I have hoses from the oil drains on the engines. I took the oil pump off the 3 gallon bucket because my engines hold 4.5 gallons of oil. I hook the pump to the hose on the engine and in about 2 minutes the oil is pumped out of the engine into a 5 gallon jerry can. The used oil goes to a local marine repair shop that burns the oil for heat during the winter.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 11:12 AM   #13
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
I have an x-change-r system, but I'm replacing with a Reverso. The Reverso uses a gear pump rather than an impellor. Most of the diptstick tube style are impellor as well.

I use a Jazz jug for oil collection. I just stick the hose in the jug adn turn on the pump. The jazz jug is significantly sturdier than a regular jerry can.

https://www.amazon.com/VP-Racing-Squ...omotive&sr=1-2
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 11:37 AM   #14
Guru

City: hawaii
Vessel Name: #31
Vessel Model: ex-Navy MUB 50 fish/cruise
I built a valved manifold for my reverso pump so that engine, transmission, and even fuel stripping are handled by the pump.
It works really well, and makes refilling a snap too, no more pouring oil oil all over the motor!
Old 11-14-2019, 12:12 PM   #15
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Agreed on the Reverso! Makes removal very clean and easy. However, I don't use the Reverso to put new oil in, as there will be a residue of old oil in the hoses and I want "clean oil" going in. Probably "overkill' but that's how I do it. Using a large funnel and pouring slowly I don't spill much (if any) when filling. I also use the large zip lock bag for removing the oil filter. Usually don't spill at all.
Old 11-14-2019, 12:36 PM   #16
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
On upside-down oil filters, I punch a hole in the filter with a flat head screwdriver and twist to open a decent sized hole. I then crack the oil fill cap and wait, then drain the oil.
Once the oil is drained, I wrap the filter in a zip lock and use an oil absorbing pad, but I rarely need the precaution.

I forgot to punch a hole this year and dumped what looked like half a quart in the bilge. Q@$@#%#$%$
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 12:39 PM   #17
Guru

City: Reedville, VA
Vessel Name: Wingspan
Vessel Model: Aluminum Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Meisinger View Post
I have a small vacuum pump which has about a half gallon collection container, certainly not enough. So the small collection container is connected to a 3 gallon"vac-u-tainer".
pete
Pete, that sounds interesting and what I'd like to do; but I can't find vac-u-tainer. All I get is medical supplies. Do you have a photo or a specific name I can google?
Bkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 02:37 PM   #18

City: Saanich BC
Vessel Name: Therapi
Vessel Model: 1998 Bayliner 4087
Take a look at the Marco system. It has a helical bronze gear. European made. Check out their site. Just installed one and it’s great. Make sure you make all connections using swivel fasteners.
Cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 03:04 PM   #19
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischief Managed View Post
And even better if it is plumbed to tanks that hold the fresh and used oil. When I spec'd my boat, I got talked out of those tanks. I really wish I had them.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 03:20 PM   #20
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Hand cranked rotary pump engine mounted
Valve to select between 40 litres of gearbox oil or 40 litres of engine oil, takes about 5 minutes to pump out.
Oil pumped into the saved 20 litre drums from previous change for easy removal and disposal.

No wiring and electrics needed and no storage tanks to pump out later
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote