Getting rid of the wood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SeaHorse II wrote:
I had an inspection team from Maine, last February, go over her and take several cruises but as of late,I'm still waiting for their report.
biggrin.gif
Ay, Aye Sir! Sorry about the late report sir! Here it is:
thumbsup.gif
+. On a 1 to 10 she's an 11.

Nice boat good luck with it**

dwhatty wrote:
Ay, Aye Sir! Sorry about the late report sir! Here it is:
thumbsup.gif
+. On a 1 to 10 she's an 11.
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

SD and Mark:
Yours are the only boats represented on this thread that wouldn't look their best with varnished teak rails and window trim.
Walt: You don't need to know what "Starboard trim bits" are. You are doing everything right just now. Keep it up!
For the rest of us, some prefer to ignore the wood when it calls you, others hear the call and respond to it, with wondrous results.
And I, for one, wouldn't ever want my wife to read that I didn't think the maintenance of her beauty was worth it!
My boat reacts the same way. She is a jealous mistress.

Some Of the Starboard trim replacing the wood.

This was a first trip after a winter on the hard.* She was sitting next to a rail road depot pretty dirty. 84 Bayliner. You get the idea.

-- Edited by skipperdude on Monday 16th of May 2011 09:49:57 AM

Attachments

• img_0037.jpg
    img_0037.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 90
  • img_0038.jpg
    img_0038.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 93
  • img_0039.jpg
    img_0039.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 96
  • img_0040.jpg
    img_0040.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 92
  • img_0036.jpg
    img_0036.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 97
Does the smiling girl consider herself "starboard trim"?

Keith,

I disagree. All boats look better w natural finished wood trim.

At the trawler Fest there was the Malinhide trawler that someone post a picture that as a 11 as all hear wood exterior and even the decks were vanished.* The windows/glass where beveled and most had etchings on them.** It was definitely a show case boat.**
Most of the older boats had bright work, where as most of the new boats did not.* * **

Two of my many criteria when boat shopping was no teak decks and as little exterior teak trim as possible. I had to give in a bit on the second part.

When I'm sanding and varnishing, I wish I had less exterior teak. But the other 95% of the time, I like the character and warmth of the wood. To me, it's a reasonable trade-off.

-- Edited by FlyWright on Monday 16th of May 2011 10:31:53 PM

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 85
Fly,

You're boat looks really nice in the picture** ...so nice perhaps you're overdue for a new avitar. Very very nice looking Californian. Also, in addition to my gushing about your boat I agree completely w you on the brightwork. I enjoy mine even w a bit of gull poop on it. And lots of time mine is a bit sticky w oil. Still worth it.

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Monday 16th of May 2011 03:19:50 PM

Attachments

• sth71168.jpg
    sth71168.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 77
Thanks, Eric.

BTW, I prefer to think of gull poop as nature's patina!

That is simply a gorgeous boat, Fly, *I don't regret not having much bare trim on my boat's exterior, but I sure appreciate it when I see it. *Rather not take care of it though.

skipperdude wrote:
Some Of the Starboard trim replacing the wood.
I gotta say - that Starboard looks perfectly acceptable to me.* First, I'm going with no more refinishing. Light scuffing and seawater rinse for maintenance.* If the black plague overtakes my teak, then the synthetics will be used to replace it.

Hey, those Scotch-Brite pads work great.* I just started hitting the areas where the varnish is flaking off.* Sure, it doesn't look nearly as nice as a glass smooth, glossy finish, but it doesn't look all that bad either.

I did notice that much of the finish is still pristine in those places where it's always in the shadow cast by the 3 story boat docked in the next slip.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom