Old 02-05-2018, 12:17 PM   #41
Guru

City: Northport
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDM View Post
For the record, I own a 7 knot trawler and cruise primarily the Chesapeake Bay, but have been to NY and NC. Can someone please validate my understanding that being able to cruise at 17 knots when necessary is not just to outrun storms or having one more day in Bahamas. A planing hull at 17 knots is actually more comfortable in choppy but safe seas than a displacement hull even a 45' long one without stabilizers. IOW the benefit of large engines is not just speed, but comfort. A wallowing 45' trawler without paravanes or active stabilizers is not that comfortable in 6 foot seas, whereas a 40' planing MY can choose a reasonably comfortable course in the same 6 foot seas. So, the benefit of the MY is that it opens up the weather window for a passage and the choices for cruising grounds.
I have owned 34 and 43 foot 'trawlers' as well as similar and larger 'MY's" and can say in my opinion this is true for us. In Long Island sound it is often a much more comfortable ride at higher speeds, And with some weather conditions changing quickly we can 'out run ' them. In many places we found the challenge of a 3-5 knots current to be quite a problem when our boat was capable of 7-8 knots. Cruising the area of Block Island to Kingston NY and around LI would leave you with these challenges unless you waited for tides hours on end - and still you could not avoid all of them.

smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 12:42 PM   #42
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
I read this thread through quickly so perhaps am duplicate existing replies. 17kts does not outrun any storm, unless you mean it allows taking an earlier weather window a day early and do it in daylight. We ran our Marine trader 47 trawler at 8kts cruise but it could hit 17 at WOT with a tanker following behind, 8kts was fast to us as we came from a lifetime of cruising under sail where even with a fast boat, averages of 6-7kts were red letter days. However our sailboats were all very capable of handling bad weather encountered and we love night sails so longer passages were never a problem. We frequently chose to leave or arrive in darkness as the lit approches were often easier to identify.

Seems to me there is a certain lack of confidence at play here with someone not happy to expand their comfort zone.
I cruise at 17 knots. It will outrun any storm going less than 17 knots....simple as that!!! Do you know that hurricanes often move at less than 17 knots???(that is somewhat of a joke).

BUT, back to your main point. I think the term "outrun" is not a good term and one you took literally. If I am 2 miles from my marine/dock and there is a storm 5 miles on the other side of the marina doing 20 knots, I can do 17 knots and BEAT the storm to the marina. I did not "outrun" it but my speed did allow me to get to safely to my slip before the storm got there thus avoiding me having to deal with the storm "at sea". You can pretty much apply this scenario in many different situations. So take that FWIW!!!!

And I agree. The biggest issue with a displacement speed boat is short choppy beam seas. Seas that match the roll rate of your boat. So each roll actually builds on the last roll...up to a point obviously. While not completely unsafe....it is extremely uncomfortable and will throw things around if the cabin was not preoperly secured for sea. My boat on plane takes a beam sea very comfortably. In fact, the most uncomfortable sea in my boat is head seas. A beam sea is quite comfortable on plane as the boat is supported hydrodynamically and does not really roll at all....it just goes up and down with each swell.

Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 01:56 PM   #43
Guru

City: Boston Area
how do you convince your wife ? You don't. You count your blessings that your wife likes to boat, and you get a boat that you both agree on.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 02:00 PM   #44
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
how do you convince your wife ? You don't. You count your blessings that your wife likes to boat, and you get a boat that you both agree on.
One of the best comments ever on the history of this forum. It is not about who holds the power. It is about making both partners happy. You should both be ecstatic about your boat choice!!! And if that is the case, then there will be much enjoyment in your boating future!!
Old 02-05-2018, 02:11 PM   #45
Guru

City: Port Townsend
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35

And... there are "trawler type" boats as others have mentioned that will go 15-18 knots.
dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 02:26 PM   #46
JLD

City: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post

Jim
JLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 02:35 PM   #47
Veteran Member

City: FIRST (REAL) WORLD
Vessel Name: MYOB, NOSEY
Vessel Model: TS39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
I cruise at 17 knots. It will outrun any storm going less than 17 knots....simple as that!!! Do you know that hurricanes often move at less than 17 knots???(that is somewhat of a joke).

BUT, back to your main point. I think the term "outrun" is not a good term and one you took literally. If I am 2 miles from my marine/dock and there is a storm 5 miles on the other side of the marina doing 20 knots, I can do 17 knots and BEAT the storm to the marina. I did not "outrun" it but my speed did allow me to get to safely to my slip before the storm got there thus avoiding me having to deal with the storm "at sea". You can pretty much apply this scenario in many different situations. So take that FWIW!!!!

And I agree. The biggest issue with a displacement speed boat is short choppy beam seas. Seas that match the roll rate of your boat. So each roll actually builds on the last roll...up to a point obviously. While not completely unsafe....it is extremely uncomfortable and will throw things around if the cabin was not preoperly secured for sea. My boat on plane takes a beam sea very comfortably. In fact, the most uncomfortable sea in my boat is head seas. A beam sea is quite comfortable on plane as the boat is supported hydrodynamically and does not really roll at all....it just goes up and down with each swell.
Agreed, but bad stuff often happens well ahead of approaching storms and the speed of the storm centre is not so indicative of when the nasty stuff hits., large seas/swells also precede the main storm itself However the example given of a storm approaching from ahead is very valid, just not one as a long term sailboat man that I considered. As a Brit having spent most of my time on rag and stick boats in European Atlantic, Biscay and English Channel) waters when I think 'storm' I think storm 'system'. like an incoming depression with it's associated fronts rather than what I call a thunderstorm or squall line one often local . Our new boat is actually capable of up to 30kts WOT and 25kts cruise but may nevertheless be run long periods at pure displacement speed too, like 7-8kts. We enjoy the journey itself as well as the post arrival
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 02:47 PM   #48
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by boathealer View Post
Time is the only factor limiting seeing all of the lakes - has nothing to do with speed. Retirement is the answer for that.
:
We could retire 20 years before retirement age seeing things at 8 knots
Or work until we're 65 to see them at 20 knots.
8 knots is good and so is life.
Simi 60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 03:53 PM   #49
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
Agreed, but bad stuff often happens well ahead of approaching storms and the speed of the storm centre is not so indicative of when the nasty stuff hits., large seas/swells also precede the main storm itself However the example given of a storm approaching from ahead is very valid, just not one as a long term sailboat man that I considered. As a Brit having spent most of my time on rag and stick boats in European Atlantic, Biscay and English Channel) waters when I think 'storm' I think storm 'system'. like an incoming depression with it's associated fronts rather than what I call a thunderstorm or squall line one often local . Our new boat is actually capable of up to 30kts WOT and 25kts cruise but may nevertheless be run long periods at pure displacement speed too, like 7-8kts. We enjoy the journey itself as well as the post arrival
Agreed on all. Especially ref to my hurricane remark....which is why I qualified it as mostly a joke. While a storm center may move at 7 knots, the bands around a hurricane are hauling ass!!!

And yes, my reference was mostly to inland and coastal cruising as most people will not be doing open ocean passages in a planing powerboat. ANd when I say "open ocean" I mean one where the crew is watching a "storm system" DAYS in adavance and coming up with a strategy. And mostly that strategy does not involve the (adjustment of the)speed at which you are traveling.
Old 02-05-2018, 05:42 PM   #50

City: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Well, the best example I can give is our Great Loop trip. We saw at least twice as much as the typical looper because of speed. We were able to cruise as fast as 26-28 knots, averaged 15-16 knots with locks and everything. We had twice the time for sightseeing.
And you could have seen ten times as much as the typical looper if you had travelled in a car.

When I want to get somewhere in a hurry, I drive my car. If I want to take it slow and easy and smell the roses, I take my trawler.
aboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 05:52 PM   #51
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. K9. I don't know if this has been mentioned yet but it sounds like you're about the journey and she's about the destination...
Old 02-05-2018, 06:35 PM   #52

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Mersea
Vessel Model: Marquis 59
Our preference is cruising around 7-8 knots.

That said, when we bought this last boat we wanted something that would cruise at above 20 knots for those times when we just wanted to get there.

There are several passages that are 100NM or so. Cape Fear to Charleston, Naples to Marathon, etc. where we can have an easy day - versus an exhausting day.

My personal preference is the option for either.
FootballFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 06:39 PM   #53
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. K9. I don't know if this has been mentioned yet but it sounds like you're about the journey and she's about the destination...
I`ve heard some guys need persuading to "go slow".
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:32 PM   #54
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboatman View Post
And you could have seen ten times as much as the typical looper if you had travelled in a car.

When I want to get somewhere in a hurry, I drive my car. If I want to take it slow and easy and smell the roses, I take my trawler.
That's my thought too.

If one is doing coastal/inland boating, a fast boat to escape weather isn't necessary if one pays a bit of attention.

Life is easier avoiding flotsam, jetsam, kayakers, erratic sailboaters, and such at six knots rather than multiples of that speed. ... When I'm on a boat or ship, it's the voyage and not the port/anchorage that's most important.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:45 PM   #55
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
If I were to ever run aground Or hit a submerged object , I'd rather be doing it at 7 knots.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:10 PM   #56
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E. View Post
Murray.....I love to watch these Grumman Geese load at the resorts. The plane is tipped way to starboard to allow access to the cargo bays. Do these come into Kitimat?
Nope, no sea plane base here at all. Flew in one from Prince Rupert to Haida Gwaii forty years ago...memorable!
Old 02-05-2018, 09:21 PM   #57
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
Yep... Same here.
I also agree with her.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:50 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Don’t feel alone... I had a nice slow boat picked out, then I had a similar discussion with my wife. And I saw her wisdom

We had two choices. Get a faster boat, which I named “Lisas Way”.

Or get the slow boat I wanted and use my wifes suggested name “Forced Abstinence”

Dont worry, you will learn to love your faster boat

That is a true story, but in all seriousness she was right. the ability to get somewhere, and extend a trip, or outrun weather, or get somehwere without making our dogs suffer, is a very good feature in a boat
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:59 PM   #59

City: Maple Bay BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Nope, no sea plane base here at all. Flew in one from Prince Rupert to Haida Gwaii forty years ago...memorable!
Yes. Thanks for the memories. Weldwood, one of the big forest companies, had one and I used to fly into camp on it.
Greg S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 01:54 AM   #60
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Capability is simply and profoundly the real difference betwixt a large boat that can go at least somewhat fast when required or desired... and one that can only go slow.

A boat that can go fast always has capability to go slow if you want. Boat that can only go slow never has capability to go fast... no matter how hard you want it to.

Boat designed for some speed [i.e. planning or semi displacement hull] when going slow [just under hull speed] gets pretty darn good fuel mileage; when going fast it gets considerably acceptable mileage for time taken to cover a distance.

No doubt... boat designed to go slow [displacement hull] in general gets the best fuel mileage; when trying to use enough hp to go fast... the owner needs much stock and dividend returns in EXON Oil!

Art is online now   Reply With Quote